Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:32 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Religious Fantasy
PostPosted:  

Bart wrote:
I think that the primary message of The Urantia Book is that Truth can only be found within yourself. Truth is personal and (thus) it cannot be found in any (external) covenant or law or dogma. Yet, people prefer simple solutions, such as the idea of instant salvation by adhering to some creed or church..

I would say that Truth exists in (or even equals) God and is thus objective, not subjective. However, I agree with you in that each of us will be able to see different aspects of Truth. After all, Truth is so vast that a human with limited means can grasp only a small grain of it.

If you asked people in different countries around the Pacific: "What's the Pacific Ocean like?", you'd get a lot of different answers, some of which would be even contradictory. However, there is only one Pacific - just with a lot of different sides. Now, replace each grain of sand around the Pacific with an ocean of the same size and you'd come no nearer to how large God (and Truth) actually is.

We can learn to know Truth better, through the Thought Adjuster, a fragment of God inside us. However, Truth will never be ours and thus we can never judge Truth as known by others. That's God's prerogative (to judge).

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Excellent discussion! This is one I have attempted to have with some of my Christian friends but wasn't able to come up with some of the examples that I see here.

When I put it in layman's terms, I would try to explain that Jesus was just putting an end to the unnecessary and superstitious killing of innocents and used himself as an example of the last "animal" to be sacrificed in such a fashion.

The one thing that I noticed about TUB in my life is that it has provided me with more and more responsibility and accountability for my own survival and has freed me from the erroneous beliefs of having something or someone pay the price for my erring ways.

Thank you for sharing this.

PostPosted:  

CuriousUniverse wrote:
When I put it in layman's terms, I would try to explain that Jesus was just putting an end to the unnecessary and superstitious killing of innocents and used himself as an example of the last "animal" to be sacrificed in such a fashion.

Actually, as far as I see it, the only place where that is said is in the letter to Hebrews (=Jews), to help them see why they no longer need to perform any animal sacrifices. (Hbr 9:18-28).

Instead, see Rom 12:1 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service."

Or Mat 9:13 "But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. "

You will also see "mercy" and "love" used much more frequently in the New Testament than "blood" or "sacrifice".

Therefore, I conclude that the Bible is actually in line with TUB in this aspect. TUB also explains where the misunderstanding came from (the Jewish background of expecting a Messiah).

PostPosted:  

Very well explained, Pertti!

God Bless !

PostPosted:  

Absolutely wonderful post --- thank you, Freethinker67! I refer to your original post of 17th July.