Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:39 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

So as I have begun to re-read the Urantia Book, this time slowly, to learn how to actually take what I learn and use it in my life, I find that putting things into practice is sometimes easier said/read than done. I heard someone giving unsolicited advice today and I thought to myself "Oh dear, I hope I don't sound like that". The person sounded very condescending in the advice they were giving. Subsequently, I was reading in Paper 48 on Morantia Mota, and I still stand amazed at how much information and good counsel is given, and as I read carefully I came upon this line 48:7.16 14. Whet the appetites of your associates for truth; give advice only when it is asked for. So as I put this principle to work, I wonder how Jesus always managed to so carefully speak simply and with love to everyone, even those who were wrong. I read somewhere to "taste my words before they leave my tongue". I suspect that sometimes that taste will be blood from having chewed my tongue so as not to utter things that I so want to say! Ok I guess I was just digitally musing. Any thoughts or experiences?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

not sure if this relates, but sometimes i find myself biting my tongue when i want to explain things to people via TUB. as we all know the book has amazing answers for thos hard problems in life. but i tend to shy away from using these teachings for the benifit of others in fear of being called a religious freak or what ever they end up calling me.

PostPosted:  

MY Adivce to Others
IS To Never Take My Advice .

Shut Up Coop ! OK :-$

Often Good Intentions Go Astray .

Last edited by coop on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:43 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

That could easily be any of us.

A couple things: "48:7.16 14. Whet the appetites of your associates for truth; give advice only when it is asked for."
Context- with "associates". "Everyone else" got moral instruction.
Reading this quote solicites the instruction, "Give solicited advice that whets your associates appetite for truth." (Taking a don't and finding a "do")

I've found that listening until solicited among friends puts one in a position to add light to the subject at hand. If the subject is resolved you are in a position to speak about the unity of opinion. If the subject needs unification, you are in a better position to unify because you listened the longest...had more time to think, adjust and practice your thoughts.
It's frustrating when there are two or more in the room that think that way.LOL I try to defer and so will they. So, I solicit their opinion before they solicit mine.

IMHO, in context, this is excellent advice. To take it to be an instrucyion when dealing with "everyone else"...I'd have to ask myself, "How did Jesus deal with passers-by?" He gave moral instruction or advice. So, I'm thinking this quote is better moral instruction when taken as applied to "associates".

PostPosted:  

Hi Michelle-Marie, John here. I know what you mean. I have a friend so consumed by her anger at life's injustices she is spiritually crippled by it, but everytime I've tried to get her to examine herself she gets angrily dismissive and irrational. I've found that relating my experiences and difficulties, taking the focus off of her and assuming it myself, she at least will listen to that. I try to make advice non threatening by shining the light on my own spiritual struggles. Jesus was able to see into people and he knew what they needed to hear next to advance their thinking. He would use the most advanced concepts existing in human thought and build upon that. He didn't tell people they were wrong, he showed them how to be more right.
One of the most valuable things I've taken from the Ubook is the ability to see myself more clearly. One of the most profound realizations was that simply because I feel strongly about something doesn't make me right. I had to evaluate conclusions based on feelings against the highest meanings and values I was learning as I read. I found myself wanting in many areas. How I act is more important many times than how I feel. No matter how much I think I know, I've learned to leave a side door open to reasond argument. At the end of the day it really comes down to my best guess based
on information and experience exposed to.
I have two ears and one mouth. I like to listen twice as much as I talk. I learn more.
Nice to hear from you again. Yours in the Supreme, John.

PostPosted:  

I think as long as you keep trying to help someone, eventually something click's and that person just appreciates that you care about them and that effect's some positive change :). I just pray for god to help me love my friend's

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Hi Michelle-Marie, John here. Thanks for your 2 coppers, they were good ones. Always good to hear from you. I value your input. Don't worry about being safe with me. I value free exchange of Ideas. You can say anything to me. I'm hard to offend.
As you experience your 2nd reading, feel free to express whatever you think and your new experiences given a new perspective of the revelation. I think you will find a much more profound understanding and excitement as you go.
Talk with you soon, John.