Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:32 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: True Worship?
PostPosted:  

I have been a UB reader for about a year and a half now and i feel like I have a mortal grasp of most of it's fundamental teachings. But I have a concern; I rarely ever pray. When I do, I don't know what to say.

In TUB, I never feel like I have passed the guidelines for praying so, to be quite Frank, I don't. How can I pray? What do I say? How does one worship the father and First Source and Centre properly?

Thanks,
Azacar

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: True Worship?
PostPosted:  

Dear azacar,

Remember this one?

Quote:
91:8.12 Words are irrelevant to prayer; they are merely the intellectual channel in which the river of spiritual supplication may chance to flow. The word value of a prayer is purely autosuggestive in private devotions and sociosuggestive in group devotions. God answers the soul's attitude, not the words.

From "PRAYING AS A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE..."

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1338#U91_8_1

Knowing that God experiences this life with us, I often will acknowledge God before, or during, something that I am doing - just invite him along and ask him to send his spirit before me, so that we have a great time, whatever it is...this works!!!

He already knows all about you, so just letting him know that you know helps with your communication...and it helps to keep your mind in God-consciousness.

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Okay thanks! I still don't know how to 'worship' deity. What is meant by 'worship'? It seems that praying and saying 'you're great' doesn't quite suffice. Every time I tell someone of the Urantia Book does that count as worship? Is worship more than that?

Thanks a billion,
Azacar

PostPosted:  

Prayer is to ask for guidance or that some one or even every one to be loved and cared for.
Worship is to be still in the presence of God and give thanks for all that he had done and that you now we will and is capable of.

PostPosted:  

Prayer is talking to God in faith. It does not make any sense to the non-spiritually energized human intellect. After spiritual birth, the soul more or less has some control over the slothful animal mind, prayer becomes more natural. God is spirit. An enlightened person usually does not ask spirit for material things. Many religions teach formal prayers. They are good mechanical practices before spiritual birth. The more a personality talks to anther, the more likely he becomes more familiar with the other.

The highest form of worship is actually doing God's Will. Those who are born of the spirit have at least a taste of this. From parents/children' s perspective, a young child born in a normal family naturally adore his parents because in his immature experiences, the parents seem to provide everything he wants/needs. The higher scale of this type of adoration is creatures' sincere grateful attitude towards Deity. This gratefulness can attain highest expression on Paradise (page 304)

It is always a catch 22 for a person to start seeking God; however, the determination to know God with 100% certainty will overcome his slothful animal mind and his non-spiritually energized human intellect. His God-knowing soul shall become dominant in his mortal journey.

Page 1616 is a good read on prayer and worship

PostPosted:  

Thanks for the great responses! I know of 100% certainty of God's love and presence and I can be sure of the divinity of Jesus. The question of existence does not occur to me any more - just to give you an idea of where I'm at.

I have just never felt like I was 'worshipping' God, as such. I love God and all His creation but I have never truly felt close to him. At times I do - particularly after reading scripture or the Urantia Book - but prayin has never done anything for me. I meditate often - using methods my Pagan girlfriend gives me - but obviously doing it to discover God. This brings me really close to God, so much that I feel like floating afterwards. I'm filled with love and joy of his reality and i can literally feel it inside of me.

I try to do God's will. I've given up most of my 'bad habits' (I admit I am still battling a few) and I try to show genuine love to my brothers and sisters. I really do. I have introduced many to the Urantia Book and I know several of them have bought copies for themselves.

That euphoric feeling of Being close to God only lasts a short amount of time. I mean it never feels as though I leave God's 'presence', but it comes in doses - so to speak.

The Urantia Book is the centre of my little universe at the moment and it means do much to me. Of I had the choice to keep only one material possession it would undoubtedly be the Urantia Book. I just don't know much about it yet - but I'm learning!

To be honest I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I just wanted to say it. Thanks for putting up with me. But this is one of the few things in my life right now I refuse to let go of.

Thanks a million for just being here - it means a lot to me.
Azacar,

PostPosted:  

The fact a person sought out for prayer and worship indicates he was doing them already.

PostPosted:  

Hi azacar,

Here's a couple things...I just ran across this today:

Quote:
103:9.11 Faith leads to knowing God, not merely to a mystical feeling of the divine presence. Faith must not be overmuch influenced by its emotional consequences. True religion is an experience of believing and knowing as well as a satisfaction of feeling.

And, looking for that one just now, I found this one, too...

Quote:
101:5.6 Scientists assemble facts, philosophers co-ordinate ideas, while prophets exalt ideals. Feeling and emotion are invariable concomitants of religion, but they are not religion. Religion may be the feeling of experience, but it is hardly the experience of feeling. Neither logic (rationalization) nor emotion (feeling) is essentially a part of religious experience, although both may variously be associated with the exercise of faith in the furtherance of spiritual insight into reality, all according to the status and temperamental tendency of the individual mind.

I think you are doing great Azacar. You are gathering lots of experience even when you can't "feel" it. More important is that you KNOW it...

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Sounds like you're on the right "ONE WAY" road, my friend.

IMHO, in your position I'd consider "sincere desire" and discover a relationship with "Love" the next time you willing spend time with Father. Do you know what "Abba" means? It's like saying, "Daddy" with all that means in a most positive sense. For those who will, you must reach well beyond personal experience and allow spirit gravities to influence imagination.
"Floating back to reality" is a wonderful awareness I share with all those who worship. Being "lifted up" that way is so much more than a "religious experience". It is in fact the experience of experiencing religion. A personal experience with God. What we do with what we know is how we serve our own religion. All that this world offers is soon seen, and respected, as mere scaffolding. Now, it becomes the moral-building desires of your TA that will guide you.

Long life,
bill

PostPosted:  

Prayer is just one part of worship;rites and ceremonies.
true worship is when one internalized and has faith in God all moments.
Believeing in the existence of one God/The First Source and Center of ALL things/The Infinite Universal Father is the key to have faith, then worshipping.. failing this basis, all else seems confused and pointless (logic and science cannot explains faith and God, so it is only futile to think along those lines)

An all loving and understanding God The Universal Father is our true Father in the real sense; we have our not perfect mortal father.....how does a child think and speaks to his loving,caring, understanding and responsible earthly father?...he just poured out his real feeling and intents with full trust and hope with genuine sense of joy and happy anticipation in his heart. We asked physical things from our physical father but spiritual things from our spiritual father, God, the Universal father, for he is a spirit being.

We address our father with respect, then we ask and then we thank him. spoken prayer are just outward-words, the essence is in the hearts and minds....just that bad words and disrespectful condition/situations/surroundings cannot induce a peaceful and correct state of mind so as to be intune with the spiritual circuit...quite meditating is a better word

The Fragment of Him/TA in us should enabled us/our spirit to grasped the true meanings of things spiritual, but if only we are ready and desire to know him and his truth and allow our thoughts to be led and guide by our Thought Adjuster/Holy Spirits as they like to call him.....divine spirit will only work when we desire of him; nothing is force upon us.God loves loving, beautiful, peaceful,respectful, kind etc. surroundings and minds; so to do his will means is doing all these things (the hardest!!). Training our minds and deeds to do all those is a form of prayer to him...becos we are intune/encircuited to his spirit. Simply put, to be intune with his spirit fragment is to do good, bads deeds and minds only 'distant' us from him. God is not hiding away from us, for he is within us, it is we who fails to see and accept; failed by our struggled with this mortal flesh and mortal minds.

PostPosted:  

Since we are on the topic of prayer, should we use affirmative prayer only? Up until the past year of my life, the only time I have ever prayed was when I was so desperate. I was bargaining with God and asking for so much. Never holding up my end of the bargain. In the past year, I have read different books and learned the power of affirmative prayer. Some say that we should not ask or want for things, we should only give gratitude and affirming statements such as I am, I choose, etc. Which leads me to this question, when I have something troubling me, am I supposed to think the opposite and be grateful for it and only recognize the good? I have been doing my best to do this when talking to God, but I must admit there are times when I want to just put it all in God's hands. I am afraid if I pray about where I need help in my life, I might attract more problems.
Thanks

PostPosted:  

Azacar wrote:
I have been a UB reader for about a year and a half now and i feel like I have a mortal grasp of most of it's fundamental teachings. But I have a concern; I rarely ever pray. When I do, I don't know what to say.

In TUB, I never feel like I have passed the guidelines for praying so, to be quite Frank, I don't. How can I pray? What do I say? How does one worship the father and First Source and Centre properly?

Thanks,
Azacar

Maybe you've already moved along to Worship.

In that case, a good starting point is simply say, "Thank you".

Your bro on the Path inward,
Russ

PostPosted:  

Hi vance,

One prayer that always helps me is a prayer that asks God for his divine order to prevail in whatever situation that I need help. I thank God for his divine order, and I claim it for my own. Putting all in God's hands is always appropriate, I think. Oftentimes, we have no idea what divine order really looks like, so praying for it puts it in his hands. I just have to be alert and aware after that - looking for the evidence of that order to appear...and cooperating to the best of my ability.

In the end, God knows exactly what we all need. Just keeping that consciousness of his presence and keeping the lines of communication open are most important...

My 2-cents...

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Thanks to all of you for your great responses! Maybe I was overreacting a little...

Thanks a gazzilion!
Azacar,