Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: A newbie!
PostPosted:  

Well, hi to all!

I wanted to introduce myself to this forum as I feel that I will be in contact with many of you in some form or another. So, here it goes!

I have been a believer of God and his Son, Jesus and their connection to this Earth- their Holy spirit! I have only lived my life of 38 years by the 'standard' belief system.' In reading this book(only parts of it right now) I feel that I haven't been told the whole truth about who we are, what we're REALLY supposed to be doing, and WHY we're supposed to be doing it.

How I came to know about this book. I have been struggling with the torment of finding the truth for some time. I realized that something's "just not right" so, in my prayer, I've asked The Lord, repeatedly, to reveal to me my awnsered questions. I often felt that I was too 'stubborn' or 'hard headded' to listen for the answer until one morning as I was getting up for work I was greated with THE most profound revelation I have ever heard(from that 'voice' that lives within me.) I audibly heard "...so, the first thing you need to know about understanding how big the universe is, is that the same space that is around you is the same space that's on the other side of the universe."

At this point my mind is completely blown! So, for about a week I thought about that statement and wondered what more will I be told....I haven't heard that voice talk to me since then, but my mother, who is now living with me(NOT BY MY CHOICE, but by circumstance!) introduced me to this book, The Urantia Book.

So this unraveling of events has lead me to this forum. I have many questions, and I am in amazement at all of this information, as well as overwhelmed at the content! As a newbie to this site forum, what advice can anyone who reads this post give to me about the information, scope, relativity of anything that has to do with any aspect of any of this? LOL- what a broad question! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to hear from anyone who's got experience in hearing "that voice." This is not the first time that "that voice" has visited me. I've heard it, audibly, throughout my life and it's ALWAYS brought a great message. It's only when I was in my late 20's that I started to listen to it and do what it suggested!

Well, thank you for letting me share this experience with everyone. I hope for great things to come in the future as a result of this great discovery!

Peace be with all~ L

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: A newbie!
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello A Listener,

We're pleased you've found Truthbook.com and our discussion board and glad that you've made your first post here. Discovering The Urantia Book is an awesome and potentially life-changing experience.

Before you post again though, please read the posting guidelines shown at the top of each forum and become familiar with them. I've not edited your post but you have brought up a topic that is not discussed here and that is one's either intended or inadvertent psychic manifestations. Discussion of "voices" and other psychic activity can be carried out on other discussion lists, not here on the Truthbook lists, as the guidelines indicate.

Best wishes,
Larry Watkins

PostPosted:  

Thanks, Larry. Rules are rules.

Then again, each of us knows the reality of the experience, only by experience. Neither condemn nor confirm the claim.

Personally, there are thoughts that are only audible to me...like an echo in a vacuum. Something with personality.

Welcome, A Listener. May your time be fruitful. Don't be put off by Admin. They are sincerely good at their jobs. Best intentions, I assure you.

Since this is an awakening reality for you, what do you now think of the concept of sonship? That being a personal reality.

For the most part you can feel free to avoid "Religion" bashing here. Honestly, it's beneath our scope. We don't tend to blame god or defame Jesus. We have matured our expectations. So will you. It's part of the embrace. Be patient with us and we can be kind.

Loving,

Bill

PostPosted:  

Well, I can certainly understand the "rules are rules" statement, but I did read the "Poster's Guidelines" before posting. It seems my descretion seems a bit loose! I didn't read anything about not posting the 'items in question,' so forgive me Admin Larry. It seems I hit my first post out of the proverbial park and touched on a "Hot Topic" that seems to be rampant on these boards- :idea:

I've never been the type of person to complain without an offer of resolution, so here I go!

Maybe create a "Newbies" section with instructions, more explicit than those that are given, on what to post and what not to post. Believe me, I saw a list of "NO-NO's" but nothing about my "NO-NO." Also, I like Uncle Bills suggestion- in the other topic's section, about creating a section for this topic with the anonymity factor.

Uncle Bill, to answer your question, "What do I think of the concept of Sonship?" Answer: humble. I HOPE I can be whole for The Lord. I realize that this new awakening is a great gift not to be taken for granted. And, NO! I would never "bash" anyones belief- LOL. Belief's are too relative to the individual, and isnt that what makes us special- our individuality and Our individual relationships with our beliefs!

On that note, I do not expect to have all of my questions answered on this message board, I think that there are somethings that will only be revealed between Our Host and ourselves, but I also realize that that's what IM's and emails are for too!!! So, If anyone wants to continue this discussion on a private stage- toss me a message!

Peace be to all~ L

PostPosted:  

Wazzup Larry!

Welcome to our little forum!
There are all kind of weird and wonderful types who pass thru here. Take yer shoes off, draw up a comfy chair and stay awhile!

I wrote a response to your original question, but it went beyond the limits of this forum and had to be deleted. But NO WORRIES MATE! It's all good! I ya want to know what I think about that stuff, you can PM me (If that's OK), but if not, it is of small consequence, after all, YOUR HERE! You made it, you are amongst friends!

This is a really great forum. Some of the people who post here are amazing. Others are just really smart. Then there’s a bunch of regular folks, like me. I think if you want to stick around, you will make some good friends.

Don’t take the rules personal. We’ve all had our hands slapped. Step back and think about it, and you will see that the rules on these types of things are really for the best. At any rate, this is, in the final analysis, their sandbox, and if we want to play here, we gotta abide by their rules.

Hope to talk to you soon!

Al

PostPosted:  

Hi Larry, the newbie,

Don't ever be ashamed of admitting you heard something. It's when you dare to speak for God or his agents in the first person that we'll start to worry about you. Plenty of us hear the still, small voice now and then, but most won't admit to it. For those who do, it's usually a remarkable experience as long as they are able to keep their psychic balance. And there's usually no way to talk someone out of believing that the experience is real. That's because it is; but, frequently the mental interpretation of what is heard gets distorted or wrongly applied. That doesn't negate the fact that something was said though. So, despite of having to avoid the soft spot on the head of the administration, we know that you probably did hear something, but we don't know if you interpreted what was said correctly. We also know that if God wants to speak to you, he'll do whatever pleases him regardless of the rules of this forum. Unfortunately, while you're here, you have to find a way to share your personal religious experiences without mentioning the fact that God actually said something. There are other ways . . . trust me. And despite what the other Larry said, it is important to share these experiences even though they are personal and meant only for your own spiritual growth. We all do well to learn of each other's religion, even though it may seem a little bit kooky at times (not that yours is).

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

As one of the best "discussers" and teachers on the board it's unfortunate to have to suspend you for a time Bonita. Right or wrong, administrators are responsible for keeping order on the discussion board. You've intentionally overstepped the line with your last several posts; I'm giving your a 10 day posting suspension. Don't post or attempt to post under a new name until June 7th.

When you do decide to rejoin the discussion board, as a precaution against you deleting your old posts, as you've done before, sign on with a new user id.

Your presence will be missed.
Larry

PostPosted:  

To Larry Watkins:

I am absolutely appalled at the actions taken against a member of this forum on such a topic. I find it offensive TO ME that you do NOT honor your own site code- ""General Urantia Book Discussion - An open forum for general discussions of a spiritual nature where guests and readers entertain the teachings of The Urantia Book." >>>> AND <<<< "This discussion board, as an extension of the Truthbook.com website, has one primary goal: To be a safe place where newcomers to The Urantia Book can ask questions and explore the teachings of The Urantia Book in a communal setting."

I am STILL trying to find out where on this site- in the "Poster's Guidelines" does it state "DO NOT TALK ABOUT 'THE VOICES'" I know I'm from the South, but I do have the ability to read- and READ I have been doing! In reading YOUR posts, LARRY WATKINS, it seems that you flounder and contradict SEVERAL points of the UB- This point is THE most public and blatant!

I will say this- that is is people like YOU, LARRY WATKINS, that people find ill about exercising their faith. YOUR type is a dime a dozen and it is YOUR type that perpetuate DIVISION among people.

My experience in this whole ordeal has NOT been as uplifting as I had hoped, making me realize that this IS NOT A SAFE FORUM for people to talk to each other about these types of issues. It is a forum to control WHAT YOU, LARRY WATKINS, feel people should or shouldn’t know- NOT THE TRUTH!
Delete me, suspend me, I do not care. Enough people will know about this for them to make their own decision to stay or leave… OR to find a new appointment for YOU!

Get off of your pedestal- we need the space to put what is valued MOST!

My grandfather told me a great story when i was young. He told me of an old man that couldn't read or write because he was kept from learning these valuable tools. In his lifetime he was jailed a several times due to this handicap. My grandfather came across this man, who by this time was in his late 60's; and he moved him onto his farm, let him earn a working spot and then continued to befriend this surly guy. As they were working one day my grandfather asked the man about his illiterate life so the man told him what had happened. In closing the man told my grandfather, "You know, Mr. Bob. Mens done made me mean!"

Peace be with you all- L

PostPosted:  

Dear A Listener

''We cannot sow seeds with clenched fists. To sow we must open our hands. ''
Author: Adolfo Perez Esquivel

PostPosted:  

[quote]The secret of his unparalleled religious life was this consciousness of the presence of God; and he attained it by intelligent prayer and sincere worship — unbroken communion with God — and not by leadings, voices, visions, or extraordinary religious practices.[/quote]

Larry,

The above quote is from the very last paper, 196, page 2089. It is the culminating paper describing most beautifully the religion OF jesus. The above truth is the one most used by the growing brotherhood of minded readers in showing that a strong, blossoming, and progressive spiritual life is not predicated in any way on hearing voices. To the contrary, believing these phenomenons of direct contact through leadings, voices, or visions as being real, in light of the teachings, is evidence that one is not only out of tune to the revelators real message, but is also co-signing beliefs and behaviors that have led far too many down a degraded path for millinium.

Let us not forget... Son of Sam

PostPosted:  

...and not by leadings, voices, visions, or extraordinary religious practices. ''

AMEN

'' Let us not forget... Son of Sam ''

AMEN

And the so called voices he claimed to hear
were Not from GOD
But from DOGs . :?

PostPosted:  

Dear Listener, and all,

I just had to step in here and try to defend Larry for his decision.

Listener, I understand where you are coming from - I really do. I know that, on the face of it, that Larry's decision to suspend Bonita seems hard, especially as viewed by a new member who only wants to share his experience with other readers. However, you have to realize that many on this forum are very old-time members, and they know the rules very well. I am sorry that this has come to pass, but I can understand Larry's decision.

If you read the guidelines, the logic of discouraging discussion about voices and communications with the spiritual realms makes sense. While it is true that many of us enjoy such communication - and I count myself among that group - not all who hear inner voices are capable of discernment - and not all are hearing goodness. And who can really tell? Is it a healthy idea to discuss what you voice told you, and then have someone else say that their voice contradicts what yours said? This is the type of scenario that admin is trying to avoid. It could become a real free-for-all and it could easily get out of hand.

Personal communication with the "still, small voice" is just that - it is personal, quiet, and intimate, and meaningful to only the person involved. It is, I believe, meant to remain personal, and will hopefully bring that person comfort, peace, joy and goodness. But to start discussions about what my voice said or what your voice says just seems a slippery slope. It might be different if we all knew each other well, but we don't. We are all faceless, (largely) nameless, anonymous presences here.

This is a site dedicated to discussion of The Urantia Book. While this kind of communication a part of The Urantia Book, it is but a small part - meaningful, yes, but the subject matter is so potentially overwhelming, and so potentially charged with error that to open it up seems not a good idea. I think to say that this is something that DOES happen is fine, but to begin sharing these things in any comparative way is not fine. These kinds of communications are just too subjective, just too personal (speaking for myself) and just too prone to error. And I do speak from experience here. After all, we ARE human beings and our experiences are often colored by a ton of influences that may be here today, gone tomorrow...in short - our communications are not always reliable, and so, should not be shared, except in a one-on-one basis.

For the newcomer who may be only marginally interested in The Urantia Book, or a new reader unfamiliar with the entirety of the content, a discussion about voices could be a very distracting, or even an off-putting, idea...it is the entirety of the Revelation that we want to address, and not to get bogged down in a discussion of voices. We can acknowledge that reality without getting carried away with it...

Does this make any sense?

There is always private messaging if one wants to compare notes with another member..

In any event, it is admin's job to maintain order and safety on this board. The guidelines were hammered out long before I came here, and I know they were not drafted hastily, but after much thought and experience. I think we owe Larry a debt of gratitude for having the courage to call out a member who seemed unwilling for the time being to adhere to what the guidelines recommend. I am sorry that it seemed so harsh to you...

Listener, I hope that you can cool off a little bit and try to see this situation with a reasoned approach. We are so glad that you found us, and so glad that you posted. It is very unfortunate that this happened on your first posting. I wish it had not played out that way, but it did. This IS a safe place, and I hope that you can see that if you read carefully what the guidelines say, and the entire thread.

Sincerely,

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Listener:
You need to listen (to yourself).
First off, this forum isn't all about you. Nobody really cares if you are deeply offended by this, or by that. Second, your brand new here. You really are not making the greatest impression by lambasting the admininistration because you did not know the rules.
You pretty much need to get over it, or show yourself out.

PostPosted:  

Hey Bonita,

I miss you already. :) I sincerely hope you return to the forum after this suspension period. Anyhow, I very much appreciated your knowledgeable input and many comments during my own short presence here. The forum will not be the same without you. So don’t let the old ego stand in your way..

Greetings, Bart

PostPosted:  

A Listener wrote:
To Larry Watkins:

I am absolutely appalled at the actions taken against a member of this forum on such a topic. I find it offensive TO ME that you do NOT honor your own site code- ""General Urantia Book Discussion - An open forum for general discussions of a spiritual nature where guests and readers entertain the teachings of The Urantia Book." >>>> AND <<<< "This discussion board, as an extension of the Truthbook.com website, has one primary goal: To be a safe place where newcomers to The Urantia Book can ask questions and explore the teachings of The Urantia Book in a communal setting."

I am STILL trying to find out where on this site- in the "Poster's Guidelines" does it state "DO NOT TALK ABOUT 'THE VOICES'" I know I'm from the South, but I do have the ability to read- and READ I have been doing! In reading YOUR posts, LARRY WATKINS, it seems that you flounder and contradict SEVERAL points of the UB- This point is THE most public and blatant!

I will say this- that is is people like YOU, LARRY WATKINS, that people find ill about exercising their faith. YOUR type is a dime a dozen and it is YOUR type that perpetuate DIVISION among people.

My experience in this whole ordeal has NOT been as uplifting as I had hoped, making me realize that this IS NOT A SAFE FORUM for people to talk to each other about these types of issues. It is a forum to control WHAT YOU, LARRY WATKINS, feel people should or shouldn’t know- NOT THE TRUTH!
Delete me, suspend me, I do not care. Enough people will know about this for them to make their own decision to stay or leave… OR to find a new appointment for YOU!

Get off of your pedestal- we need the space to put what is valued MOST!

Peace be with you all- L

At the risk (and who cares anymore) at being suspended for agreement,

AMEN!! AMEN!!

A Listener, you have the right and the guts to say that you are offended. I, too, have been offended many times by the Administrator and others on this site, people who don't understand anything except intellectual things and lack greatly in the spiritual side of truth, yet I keep coming back because of the VERY few who are NOT offenders, or not people who think they know it all and people who do seem to have a deeper understanding for things of the spirit as well as the mind. Bonita is one of those people. They are usually the most misunderstood.

Bonita was suspended because she forgot the fear of most of the people on this site: the fear of someone else having an experience that The Urantia Book left out: the fact that God can and does speak to us mortals in many ways. It's a shame that these people are not able to see past The Urantia Book , and I know this site is about the Book, but come on, just like everything Jesus said is not in the Bible, well, everything and every experience in relation to God is NOT in The Urantia Book.

When someone says "listen to the Spirit of Truth" I guess they think that means listen to some impression. The Spirit of Truth is a Person (the spirit of Michael/Jesus) as Bonita said, and He is able to speak in a clear voice.

34.7.8 Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, “This is the way.”