Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Of Jesus and Myth
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Notwithstanding that the cult has always retarded social progress, it is regrettable that so many modern believers in moral standards and spiritual ideals have no adequate symbolism--no cult of mutual support--nothing to belong to. But a religious cult cannot be manufactured; it must grow. And those of no two groups will be identical unless their rituals are arbitrarily standardized by authority.

Hi All:
I am also in the small group who is intrested in establishing this creed.

All we are trying to do here is what we feel is the right thing. We are trying to grow a cult. As the above quote from the UB should clarify, there is nothing wrong with this. To me, at least the Authors seem to even encourage this! I have been enjoying the responses to this thread. Most of the responses have been along the line of "OK, whatever", with a few "Cool!, Count me in!" and a few who obviously feel quite the opposite. I suspect that the answer to why the various individuals who have responded to this thread have responded in the manner which they did, lies within the personal experience of those individuals. And I am not intrested in speculating further as to what drove them to respond in the manner in which they did (positively or negatively). It is what it is.

As to our efforts: Will this attempt be "the one" which takes off and illuminates the world with the truths of the FER? I say, most likely not. But again, I say you gotta start sometime. And if this effort crashes and burns, then the lessons will be valuable to the next group of cult growers.

I have said this before and I will say it again... This revelation is big enough for both the true religion of personal experience and the group celebration of the fact of the Fifth Epocal Revelation of partial truth to mankind.

Al

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I'll support your cult if you'll support mine.

PostPosted:  

When one has said it all again what CAN be said?

8)

PostPosted:  

Hey All,

Recently ran across this advice from a Melchizedek, which bears heavily on this topic:

Quote:
...Intellectual crystallization of religious concepts is the equivalent of spiritual death. You cannot conceive of religion without ideas, but when religion once becomes reduced only to an idea, it is no longer religion; it has become merely a species of human philosophy.... P.1120-1

Note the italics around the word idea.

$.01, Rick

PostPosted:  

WOW RICK! THANK YOU!!!

OK, I'll buy into that. After all, it's from a Melchizedek, and those guys definately got it going on.

But how do you (or anyone else here) jive that sound statement with the quote with which I begain my last statement?

Quote:
Notwithstanding that the cult has always retarded social progress, it is regrettable that so many modern believers in moral standards and spiritual ideals have no adequate symbolism--no cult of mutual support--nothing to belong to. But a religious cult cannot be manufactured; it must grow. And those of no two groups will be identical unless their rituals are arbitrarily standardized by authority.

And Gerdean, I'd love to be in your cult! :biggrin:

???

An additional one or two cents would be greatly appreciated here!

Al

PostPosted:  

Hey Al, All,

Those two quotes juxtaposed, appear to me to be saying, all religion is compromising and stultifying. Forget not, religion isn't even necessary, to our "neighbors" on a nearby planet.

And we already have a "cult of mutual support", from reader forums like this, to conferences, to study groups, from to Facebook to the Foundation.

There's really no point or need for another religion unless the UB requires interpretors and ritual makers. "Spiritual death" are strong words that indicate crystallization is not desirable or healthy.

Nother $.01

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Hey All,

Recently ran across this advice from a Melchizedek, which bears heavily on this topic:

Quote:
...Intellectual crystallization of religious concepts is the equivalent of spiritual death. You cannot conceive of religion without ideas, but when religion once becomes reduced only to an idea, [creed] it is no longer religion; it has become merely a species of human philosophy.... P.1120-1

Note the italics around the word idea.

$.01, Rick

FINALLY!!!!!

Somebody with understanding!!! Somebody who reads the UB correctly!!! Somebody who doesn't twist the words!!!

Thanks Rick!!!

PostPosted:  

Kreneep.
Yup!
8)

PostPosted:  

Rsarmast should be vindicated. He is intent on "feeding God's sheep", even though this is only 1 Mission that Jesus gave to 1 Apostle.

Many folks believe in the inevitability of a cult springing forth from the FER. But such a cult is not founded on organised religion, but as a society founded on the human family. "The Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of man". But it is entirely unwise to dismiss the experiencial acquirements of other believers.

The truth is, that as in UP #87, a cult that grows naturally, does so according to the laws of natural increase, as in a human family. This cannot occur in any insincere fellowship, neither was it successful in the new age revivalists. Such a parental role requires the giving of one's biological children "to God" but not in an outlandish fashion.

The "feeding of sheep" does not exclude the digesting of information, for humans. But moreso, it requires that individuals are accorded the proper work necessary for maturation. For children, the tasks are more tactile; for adults, we should consider that a rigorous study may be necessary, not just of the Urantia Papers but of phisiology, taxonomy, economics, or other sciences.

Even more so, is the idea that a family must be financially solvent in order to maintain the wealth of its own estate. It requires less than the current estimates to rear children, but debt is a crippling condition for any business or family. Moreso, the resources and capital held on one's estate are essential for prosperity.

It is not only Jesus of Nazareth's family, but Zebedee, Simon of Bethany, and even the Apostolic Family (in addition to the Old Testament) which pose as economic models for the growth of the cult which is suggestive in the Urantia Papers. It is in the marriage of Ruth to David Zebedee, or of Lazarus to the Church of Philadelphia, that pose as the proper familial or cult model in ordinary human experience.

Such an ideal includes both natural progenic increase and natural econonic increase.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7