Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:42 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Dear fellows,
I would ask you to read the following presentation.

I want criticism and honest evaluation on whether you think this concept has merit, or it is even worth pursuing.
After years of trying to figure out how I could dedicate my life some some worthwhile and unique Urantia project, a light bulb went off in my head a few weeks ago and this is it: I trust all of you and welcome your feedback.

The goal of The Urantia Project is two-fold: The first and primary objective is to set up a worldwide network of individuals or “counselors” who would make themselves available for those new or early readers who have questions regarding the Urantia Book and wish to speak one on one with more experienced and knowledgeable students of the fifth epochal revelation.

To facilitate this process of social uplifting and service, it is a logical first step to coordinate a world-wide network of individuals who can provide one-on-one personal correspondence with new or early readers who feel the need to reach out and talk with someone who has a more thorough knowledge of the papers. The Urantia Project allows those who of us with a real desire to share and serve a way to do so that will be effective both to new readers and to the later development of new teachers and advisors who can take the project to new levels of social uplifting as the Urantia Book continues to spread around the globe.

Does this idea sound worthwhile?

Last edited by jwatkins00 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:01 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

thus far 30 people have read this page and no one responded.

Either my question was too long and uninteresting, or the lack of response indicates the idea as being without merit. But, not to be dissuade, let me put another way with the hopes I will get some feedback from my fellow Urantians.

I am seeking people who would be interested in being on-call counselors for new readers who want to talk to someone one-on-one about the Urantia Book.

If you like talking to people and feel you have something to impart to new readers who may seek your counsel on this magnificent Revelation, then email me here and let me know you are interested.

My goal is to find a dozen or so people in the U.S and from around the world (people who speak the language of what The Uranita Book has been translated into).

It is a volunteer position, and you might get a few calls or emails a month, at least for now, but when future truth seekers seek you out - your contribution to that persons' desire to take the Urantia path will be immensely appreciated.

PostPosted:  

Bro.jwatkins,

I need that. I discovered that there are certain things which needed to be discuss at 1 to 1 basis. I would prefer a counselor or rather a discussion partner who had ingest TUB for years.

PostPosted:  

I am always willing to talk to any one that is senseer in there search for truth. count me in.

I am also a Faith Based Counselor/Restorative Therapist, and live for the opportunity to serve others.

I have also dedicated the last 15 years of my life to Substance Abuse Counseling and would be open to any one that has the need to talk on those lines as well.

I'm sure Larry could set some ting up so those that needed to reach me could in private.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Yes Jim, all set up. It's that little box sitting at the bottom of your post that has 2 heads in it that says PM for Private Message. Anyone clicking on that will be given a window to type a note that will sit in their out box until you open it... you'll receive a note that there's a PM waiting for you.

Happy PMing.
Larry

PostPosted:  

lol too easy...lol ty Larry

PostPosted:  

My door is always open.

PostPosted:  

I am slightly wary of an organization or institution that could set rules for how spiritual truth is to be disseminated, but nonetheless i think it's a neat idea- a way of coordinating teachers and seekers. But if such an organization were to be officially formed, i think it would be essential to make the motto of that organization humility in leading and teaching others, a dedication on the part of teachers to remaining perpetual students and learning from those seeking guidance.
anyway, i would be willing to help out, but how much experience do you think is necessary? I haven't actually read the whole book. I have known of it since childhood and started actively seeking and reading it about 7-8 years ago and have read it on and off for that time. I love the book and I believe in Jesus, and feel that even though I haven't read the whole thing I have some intuitive grasp of some of the subject matter.

On a related note, I am interested in starting a small study group at my college, and also in spending some time traveling this winter giving away books. Does anyone know if and how I can buy books in bulk affordably?

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Lightpoet -- you can send an email to the Fellowship at Fellowship@UrantiaBook.org -- they should be able to make arrangements with you for supplying books.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Hi Jim!
Count me in for the Southeast Bible belters O:)

Al

PostPosted:  

I am certainly interested in helping out in any way possible.

Peace,

PostPosted:  

After having read through the book with a study group (more than twice)-I still have confusion sometimes about what the revelators really mean about certain things.
I have tried to explain the Ubook to friends,children,etc,and they just say they had rather have me "translate" for them.
I have reached the point in my spiritual journey where I just accept with faith and hope others can too.
However,I can clearly see the need for counselors.
Peace
Elliott

PostPosted:  

Hi All,
I continue to be impressed by the quality and depth of character displayed by Urantia Book students.

Thank you for your wonderful and insightful replies.

My first step towards this project will be to take a course on UBIS, the Urantia Book Iternet School, students become teachers who then learn by teaching, a concept at the very core of the Urantia Book and the project I am proposing.

The next step, yes, perhaps setting up a directory of volunteers who would like to make themselves aviable for new readers looking for the one-on-one experience.

To all who replied and all who might be interested in being such a counselor or mentor, I will keep you posted on my progress.

PostPosted:  

Hi Jim,

That sounds like a good idea and I will volunteer to help in anyway possible. :smile:

Jim

PostPosted:  

I like an effort named UP (Urantia Project).

I usually give folks my email address and suggest a handy place along the Interstate to meet for coffee and conversation. Very casual.

The problem I've encountered is one of expectation. To suggest that someone needs to be approved or educated in some manner thru any organization is, IMHO, a doomed concept. Any such effort results in some form of hierachy that endangers growth and initiates stagnation.
UPIBT, Urantia Ptoject; I'll Be There (pronounced Up-it) might be a meet and greet service without the expectation of counselling. IMHO, that's the two-way street you'll end up on anyway.
I receive more than I'm able to give. I think this is so for most of us. The idea makes room for the desire to serve and an attitude of thanksgiving.
I'd rather get together with new or seasoned readers in thanksgiving.

How about this? We give a birthday party for Jesus. All readers are invited to submit a local eatery that's easily accessible and an email address for contact. We could do this as a world if we had the right leader, Jim. You have the desire to serve...how about it?

The response you get could provide you with resources/contacts with which to launch other projects.

Jim, you might rather I had responded privately due to the sudden personal turn, but, you always man-up, as it were, so I ain't scared much.

Nice to be back,

Bill