Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:37 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The recent story about the kidnapped girl who was kept for 18 years has given "God" another bad rap. I know I'm not supposed to judge, but how can you not seethe with anger at the dude who kidnapped her and was a religious nut. Plus the wife who sat there and allowed it to happen! In some ways I would give her a longer prison sentence.

Is there anything in TUB about people who do such things in the name of God?

I've done a word search on vain but can find no passages on point.

Peace and Love

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Ben -- why are you not supposed to judge?
Larry

PostPosted:  

Now there's something I would hear more opining over -- to judge or not to judge, that is the question. and under what circumstances.

PostPosted:  

I judge, every day, all the time...constantly weighing options. We were given brains to use. My problem is sitting "in judgement of" someone, as in looking down on them.

All I can say is that it's a good thing I have no power b/c my judgement is usually clouded by some form of bias.

In the case of these two human beings...society will judge them accordingly. Their souls? Will have to leave that to the Ancient of Days. How do you judge insanity? Or evil? I have no clue.....

Jo

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

In GOD we live , breathe and have our being .

WE CAN Judge ourselves and others
by the fruits of the Spirit .

but ... we cant really KNOW anothers ...INTENT.

But GOD DOES KNOW

103.4.5 God the Father deals with man his child on the basis, not of actual virtue or worthiness, but in recognition of the child’s motivation — the creature purpose and INTENT. The relationship is one of parent-child association and is actuated by divine love.

140.6.5 “You have heard the teachers of the law say, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that every man who looks upon a woman with INTENT to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

[You can only judge men by their acts, ]
but my Father looks into the hearts of his children and in mercy adjudges them in accordance with their INTENTs and real desires.”

ONE of the many great teachings of the FER
IS ABOUT .... SINCERITY ... AND DECISIONS .

39.4.14 The keys of the kingdom of heaven are: sincerity, more sincerity, and more sincerity. All men have these keys. Men use them — advance in spirit status — by decisions, by more decisions, and by more decisions. The highest moral choice is the choice of the highest possible value, and always — in any sphere, in all of them — this is to choose to do the will of God. If man thus chooses, he is great, though he be the humblest citizen of Jerusem or even the least of mortals on Urantia.

Sis JO SEZ
'' In the case of these two human beings...society will judge them accordingly. Their souls? Will have to leave that to the Ancient of Days. How do you judge insanity? Or evil? I have no clue.....''

In the case of these two SO CALLED '' human beings'' ...
WELL ... THEY / And others like THEM ...
simply ... ARE NOT ... '' NORMAL''

5.0.1 GOD’S RELATION TO THE INDIVIDUAL IF THE finite mind of man is unable to comprehend how so great and so majestic a God as the Universal Father can descend from his eternal abode in infinite perfection to fraternize with the individual human creature, then must such a finite intellect rest assurance of divine fellowship upon the truth of the fact that an actual fragment of the living God resides within the intellect of every NORMAL-minded and morally conscious Urantia mortal. The indwelling Thought Adjusters are a part of the eternal Deity of the Paradise Father. Man does not have to go farther than his own inner experience of the soul’s contemplation of this spiritual-reality presence to find God and attempt communion with him.

AND ... THEY ... USE GOD ... AS A Scapegoat for their own
twisted , confused , deluded evil , sinful ways ...
of ... THEIR WILL , .....NOT ... GODs WILL .

GFOD

Faith son
Coop

THINK AND THANK GOD !
``````````````````````````
FROM Truthbook Religious news blog .

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What's the most dangerous idea in religion?

By JOHN BLAKE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/30/07

Religion is one of the most potent forces in human affairs. It has inspired some of history's most sublime moments, but also some of its most barbaric.

The Inquisition, the bombings of abortion clinics, suicide bombings in Iraq – all have their roots in some form of religious ideology.

With that in mind, five leading religious thinkers from varying faiths were asked the same question: What is the most dangerous idea in religion today? Their comments were edited for brevity and clarity.

Violence in the name of God

— Richard Land
"I would agree with Pope John Paul II who said that there is a sacred sanctuary of the soul for each man and woman. No other human being has the right to coercively interfere with that sacred sanctuary of the soul. The most dangerous idea in religion is the idea that violent, coercive force is permissible in the name of God — any God.

"You see this with radical Islam. Notice that I said radical Islam, not Islam.

"More people will die if this idea spreads. It will help poison the well of debate and discussion about issues that people disagree on. It's corrosive to public discourse to say if you disagree with me, I'm going to kill you. It erodes freedom of speech, assembly and worship."

Richard Land is the president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. He was selected by Time Magazine in 2005 as one of the 25 most influential evangelicals in America.

Follow our rules or else

— Wayne Dyer
"Carl Jung [the author and psychiatrist] had a line. The paraphrase is this: The No. 1 problem with organized religion is that the purpose of organized religion is to prevent people from having a direct experience of God. Religion is organized around the principle that religion will provide the direct experience of God for you as long as you become a member, follow our rules and contribute to us financially.

"The most important thing a human being can recognize is that they are already connected to God and to maintain that connection is not something you can turn over to another person or organization. One of the truths of the physical world is that you must be like what you came from. If you have an apple pie and you ask what the apple pie is like, it's like [the apple] where it came from."

Wayne Dyer is one of the most popular self-help speakers in the nation. He's the best-selling author of 29 books and has been featured frequently on Public Broadcasting Service specials.
My religion is right

— Rabbi Harold Kushner
"There's a sense that in order for me to be right, everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. It makes religious interfaith cooperation more difficult. If I believe that, I have to believe that other people's religions are worthless, invalid.

"You have to understand that religion is not about getting information about God. Religion is about community. The primary purpose is not to get us to heaven but to put us in touch with other people. I can have fierce loyalty to my family without denigrating other people's family. I can have fierce loyalty to my own religion without denigrating other people's religion. In the same way, my neighbor can say, 'My wife is the most wonderful woman in the world.' I can take that as a statement of love, not fact."

Rabbi Harold Kushner is one of the most famous Jewish thinkers in the nation. He is best-known for his best-selling book, "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" (Anchor, $21).
Converting others to your religion

— Dr. Abdullahi cq Ahmed An-Na'im
"I wouldn't believe in a religion if I didn't believe it to be better than other religions. The notion of superiority and exclusivity is inherent to religious beliefs. It can be dangerous and not be dangerous.

"The whole idea of missionary work is a very loaded and dangerous idea because it's often presented as simply presenting beliefs for someone to accept or reject. It's always embedded in power. Those who have the ability to proselytize to others are more powerful than others. They have the resources to establish schools, hospitals. Missionary work is not neutral. It is embedded in power. You don't find Muslims coming to proselytize in the United States. But you find Americans going to all sorts of Muslim countries."

Dr. Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na'im is an internationally recognized scholar of Islam and human rights. He is the Charles Howard Candler Professor of Law at Emory University.

A tribal view of God

— Deepak Chopra
"The most dangerous idea is my God is the only true God and my religion is the only true religion. It leads to quarrels, divisiveness, terrorism, prejudice, racism and bloodshed. We see it in the world right now

"All religious ideas are programmed into our consciousness at a very early age. We hold them to be true. It's very difficult to step out of that condition even in the face of good intellectual reasoning because of emotional bondage to our condition. We bristle with emotions when our beliefs are threatened.

"We are at a very critical stage in our evolution. We're beginning to become aware. We know a lot about nature. We have a pretty good idea about the beginning of the universe. We understand to a great extent the law of physics, chemistry and biology. And yet for the vast majority of us, – though we have cell phones and can make nuclear bombs, – our psychological and spiritual evolution is frozen to a level that is very tribal."

Deepak Chopra is chairman and co-founder of the Chopra Center for Well Being in Carlsbad, Calif. He is a best-selling author and popular lecturer best-known for integrating Western medicine with the natural healing traditions of the East.
Labels: Abdullahi cq Ahmed An-Naim, community, Deepak Chopra, God, ideology, missionary, Rabbi Harold Kushner, religion, Richard Land, tribal, violence, Wayne Dyer

PostPosted:  

Thanks, Coop, for posting this article on dangerous ideas in religion. It is excellent. Simple but potent. I see it happening all around me, even among UB readers. These are things to watch out for and guard against. Particularly since we all do judge, one way or another.

PostPosted:  

Another excellent read:

When Religion Becomes Evil, by Charles Kimball

PostPosted:  

Thanks, Iris. I looked it up on the Internet and read a good book review about it. It does indeed seem to address the issues we all face.

PostPosted:  

Rainbow Ben said:

Quote:
I know I'm not supposed to judge, but how can you not seethe with anger at the dude who kidnapped her and was a religious nut.

Larry says:

Quote:
Hi Ben -- why are you not supposed to judge?
Larry

First, Rainbow,

You are correct in your statement that you should not judge, especially when you have added the "reason" why not to judge to your statement. It has a feeling of being without compasssion, without love and without mercy (seethe with anger)...

We can indeed "judge", but Jesus said:

146.2.6 5. They who would receive mercy must show mercy; judge not that you be not judged. With the spirit with which you judge others you also shall be judged. Mercy does not wholly abrogate universe fairness. In the end it will prove true: “Whoso stops his ears to the cry of the poor, he also shall some day cry for help, and no one will hear him.”

Our "judgments" should be tempered with mercy, as we ourselves have received mercy from God Himself. We should do no different.

Obviously this man is in need of forgiveness and of mercy. Only God can deal with his heart. The laws of the land will deal with his actions. But, we have no ground to "judge" him, and I believe you really may mean "condemn" him. It was certainly an act which is deserving of correction, and as said, God will deal with the correcting of his heart, his mind, his soul. The Law of cause and effect will take care of his reaping what he has sown.

Righteous judgement, tempered with mercy is OK.

PostPosted:  

I incline toward: "judge justly."

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Yes, I do look forward to being judged in the same spirit in which I find myself judging. That quote is not a remonstration against judging but rather an indication of the quality of mercy one should anticipate. We all judge, whether consciously or unconsciously -- it's part of human nature.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Abdullahi cq Ahmed An-Naim, community, Deepak Chopra, God, ideology, missionary, Rabbi Harold Kushner, religion, Richard Land, tribal, violence, Wayne Dyer

What makes them any more of an "expert" than any of you?
8)

PostPosted:  

They are considered professional. They are world famous.

We are not famous, Slyde. Just legends in our own minds.

PostPosted:  

These quotes came to mind...

PAPER 180 - THE FAREWELL DISCOURSE
line 116: "Now that I am leaving you, seeing that the hour has come when I am about to go to the Father, I am surprised that none of you have asked me, Why do you leave us? Nevertheless, I know that you ask such questions in your hearts. I will speak to you plainly, as one friend to another. It is really profitable for you that I go away. If I go not away, the new teacher cannot come into your hearts. I must be divested of this mortal body and be restored to my place on high before I can send this spirit teacher to live in your souls and lead your spirits into the truth. And when my spirit comes to indwell you, he will illuminate the difference between sin and righteousness and will enable you to judge wisely in your hearts concerning them.

PAPER 100 - RELIGION IN HUMAN EXPERIENCE
line 85: In the mind's eye conjure up a picture of one of your primitive ancestors of cave-dwelling times--a short, misshapen, filthy, snarling hulk of a man standing, legs spread, club upraised, breathing hate and animosity as he looks fiercely just ahead. Such a picture hardly depicts the divine dignity of man. But allow us to enlarge the picture. In front of this animated human crouches a saber-toothed tiger. Behind him, a woman and two children. Immediately you recognize that such a picture stands for the beginnings of much that is fine and noble in the human race, but the man is the same in both pictures. Only in the second sketch you are favored with a widened horizon. You therein discern the motivation of this evolving mortal. His attitude becomes praiseworthy because you understand him. If you could only fathom the motives of your associates, how much better you would understand them. If you could only know your fellows, you would eventually fall in love with them.

I love this analogy and try to remember it. I do judge all the time. I assess the situation and make a decision....many times it come back to bite me... :?

PostPosted:  

Quote:
And when my spirit comes to indwell you, he will illuminate the difference between sin and righteousness and will enable you to judge wisely in your hearts concerning them.

Wonder if this means we will have insight into the difference between sin and righteousnes in other people or only in ourselves. I think probably both, because when I am judging somebody else's righteousness or lack thereof, I am concurrently judging my own ... sort of in a reflective mode. (I wonder if that is the same thing as "reflectivation".) Anyway, I do use that three fingers pointing back at me when I am pointing my finger at somebody else.