Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:09 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I finally figured out what bothers me about the world today. It's secularism.

Secularism is worse that atheism. At least with an Athiest they deny God, but secularism ignores God as if he doesn't even exist. Its arrogant and I think that is why so much was written about the dangers of secularism and this is probably why we have so many problems in the world today - and its getting worse.

There's a passage in TUB I wish to get feedback on. the quote says "the worst of the materialistic age is over."

How could that be? It seems to me that secularism and materialism are 10 times worse now than in the early 20th Century.

What do you think?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

195.6.1 Scientists have unintentionally precipitated mankind into a materialistic panic; they have started an unthinking run on the moral bank of the ages, but this bank of human experience has vast spiritual resources; it can stand the demands being made upon it. Only unthinking men become panicky about the spiritual assets of the human race. When the materialistic-secular panic is over, the religion of Jesus will not be found bankrupt. The spiritual bank of the kingdom of heaven will be paying out faith, hope, and moral security to all who draw upon it “in His name.”

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I have viewed materialism as the age of engineered dominance. It was with the advent of the Industrial Revolution that man found energy from other means than just muscle. Through technology we aspired too quickly. We, in the west, made a quick jump to reliance on things engineered, and engineers became the new cultural gods.

The best example is the Titanic! If you were to study the thinking of men of that day you would find a total reliance on man's ability, alone. They boasted the ship was unsinkable. Though it did, they were still unshaken in their belief of "survival of the fittest."

Carl Jung saw how in the west, up until the enlightenment era, man's sight was verticle: this life meant nothing, as we would all either go to heaven or hell, and the value of this life remained very low. With the advent of the I.R. man's sight went horizontal: and the value of this life began to increase. But, in a horizontal view, heaven no longer was a consideration. Only man's ability to conquer or fathom nature.

For the last 30 years I have witnessed an increasing movement in outlook moving towards the 45 degree angle, as it should be. Science, technology, and the recognition of the Inner Life as the book prescribes.

Us Urantia Book readers were calling this movement in outlook the "Spiritual Renaissance." It is happening, as people are starving.

People are recognizing their utter thirst... they just don't know where to turn, yet!

In Service,

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

thanks Iris, Skazmar, good points.

While I do have faith that man can overcome this current secularistic age, still, with the advent of the electronic media, if you view materialism and secularlism as a virus, the electronic media is spreading this virus at an astonishing rate.

The current economic crisis is but one example. Greed took over and the result was an implosion where we just could not keep up with our apetitie for things. This apetitie is spurred on by materialism.

Again, look at what people like Bill Maher do - they laugh at religion, diminish it, and the media loves to report faultry religious leadership, which also seeks to minimize the importance of spiritual living. Mass media's "just do it" philosophy is so close to the Caligastia plan it makes me sick to my stomach.

Our children only want things and are not taught virtue in school, only how to be a consumer of things, hence drug abuse is out of control, marriage (the foundation of a civilized society) is a joke, and people seem to be more obssessed with America Idol and Dancing with the Stars than following the model put forth by Jesus. Europe is almost completely secular and China and Russia have created a generation of people who just doey fear don't care at all about God or divine purposes, etc, etc...

While I disdain extremism, I do admire the dedication Muslims have to thier religion, and the more extremist among them probably fear secularism for the same reasons I have explained above. INterestingly, I think the West displays Islam as an example of why we shouldn't "get too religious."

Even in my own family, being a "Christian" is considered being weak.

I am not trying to be negative - and I agree with Iris's statements referencing the UB saying the religion of Jesus will eventually triumph - but the consequences of secularism will come with a very heavy price.

I believe the Revleators saw this coming, and that is exactly why the Urantia Book was probably given to us NOW- either as a protective "virus control" measure, or perhaps as a guide to survival book in prepration of the destruction that seems to be at our footsteps.

Forgive my long dissertation. Will someone please put my soul to rest and offer some works of comfort?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Jim --

jwatkins00 wrote:
thanks Iris, Skazmar, good points.

While I do have faith that man can overcome this current secularistic age, still, with the advent of the electronic media, if you view materialism and secularlism as a virus, the electronic media is spreading this virus at an astonishing rate.

Forgive my long dissertation. Will someone please put my soul to rest and offer some works of comfort?

I can appreciate your perception of the current global situation in terms
of the apparent poverty of spiritual recognition and development in
mass media and the internet.

My assessment, which is perhaps a rare one in the world (but certainly
not among those of great faith here), is that there is nothing to fear with
regard to the Truth and God's Will prevailing on this planet.

Urantia will someday be settled in Light and Life.

I think the acceleration we are seeing in these modern times will lead
more rapidly to a sudden recapitulation and renewed evaluation by
Urantian mortals of life and things spiritual.

There is a deep thirst in every human for the living water of truth.

Secularism is a desert.

It's only a matter of time, I feel, that there will be a sudden change,
globally and in the not-so-distant future, in the attitude of human beings
towards other human beings. The brotherhood of man.

And the world will discover, through necessity, the Treasure is
within and not "without" in the forms of worldly and fleeting
pleasures. The Fatherhood of God.

These concepts can go viral as easily as self-deception.

As I put myself in your shoes looking at the problem you
see, my personal solution would be to rely on the higher
powers that reside within myself to attain a better
perception and understanding of the world I see.

If I were to ask I would ask I could see with the eyes of the Master.

EGBOK
Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

jwatkins00 wrote:
Will someone please put my soul to rest and offer some works of comfort?

Paper 195 Urantia is now quivering on the very brink of one of its most amazing and enthralling epochs of social readjustment, moral quickening, and spiritual enlightenment.

Of course, that is not the quote I was originally going to post. The one I was going to post is a few lines above this quote. ... And this is only the beginning of the dire harvest of materialism and secularism; still more terrible destruction if yet to come.

I just posted on Abner's with this quote. Paper 195 is both comforting and disconcerting at the same time. Oh the drama!

PostPosted:  

Dear Jim,

I think you are getting too impatient Jim, though you faintly acknowledge that.

When things don't get going in the manner we perceive it, we get impatient and angry. That is a big danger which should be avoided.

See what our great book tells us on this.

Quote:
48.7.20 Impatience is a spirit poison; anger is like a stone hurled into a hornet’s nest.

48.7.21 Anxiety must be abandoned. The disappointments hardest to bear are those which never come.

86.2.1 Anxiety was a natural state of the savage mind. When men and women fall victims to excessive Anxiety, they are simply reverting to the natural estate of their far-distant ancestors; and when Anxiety becomes actually painful, it inhibits activity and unfailingly institutes evolutionary changes and biologic adaptations. Pain and suffering are essential to progressive evolution.

Think on this too!

Love.

Rajan, Bhilai, India.

PostPosted:  

Dear Jim,

Secularism and Religious extremism both arise out of our intolerance to others viewpoints. We need to be open in our minds to listen to what others say and at the same time seek our Thought Adjuster guidance to find the the truth and the good thing for us.

Both secularists and religionists, and for that matter any one who is egoistic and self centred, find it difficult to get the golden words of wisdom that are revealed to mankind through the Urantia Book. Because they dismiss it with their own initial judgement without reading it-their closed minds with preconceived ideas don't get opened up for receiving the message, even when it is right infront of them!

And for those of us who got the opportunity to read and understand the UB, let us be thankful for that to our Adjusters and be patient to spread the love to those unfortunate brothers and sisters-whether they are secularists, religionists , aetheists or animists. Whether they accept it and whether we see the quick progress to light and life era, let us leave that to the wisdom of God.

Love.

Rajan

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

GREAT TOPIC !!!

In a timely fashion, I just wrote this post on my "other" favorite religious discussion board, one dominated by fundementalists and athiests.
Here it is:

Good afternoon!
I just wanted to add my 2¢ into this (discussion on the other forum regarding the existance or non existance of god AW :mrgreen: ). The atheist members of this discussion easily win almost all of these discussions because they correctly point out that there is no scientific way to prove the existence of a god. And my hat is off to them; they are one hundred percent correct in their assertions. The problem with many of the arguments put forth by the religionists is that they try to meet these statements head on… they try to use material and secular arguments to turn back the logical deductions of the materialists. (Sorry, I just don’t like using the word atheist, I prefer materialist because it captures a much greater segment of the population). And the failure of these arguments is pretty spectacular.

The way I see it, science and religion are two distinct things. Science is the measurement of the material, while religion, true religion, is the evaluation of the spiritual. Science deals with quantities, physical realities, while religion deals with qualities, more specifically the quality of values. There can really be no real disagreement between science and true religion. They are the two different pieces of the puzzle of continued human cultural and social evolution. Physical evolution of the species of humankind is proceeding somewhat apart from the social and cultural evolution of society. But progressive social and cultural evolution owe their direct lineage to the furtherance of BOTH religious and scientific advancement.

The materialists of this forum do all of mankind a great service with their attacks upon the entrenched superstitions and gross errors of the evolutionary religions of fear. Indeed, one of the goals of science should be to drive out the lingering superstitions which continue to curse and pollute the religious beliefs of even this relatively civilized society. But they go to far when they positively assert that there absolutely is no god. One can not prove the non-existence of god anymore than one can prove the existence of god. And any person who says that they can prove that god either does or does not exist is either a fool (thinking to prove god does not exist) or is missing the real crux of the religious experience. Because religion, true religion, is the relationship of the individual with that ideal which he designates god. And the ideal of God is always the highest concept of goodness, which the individual in question can conceive. And the truth of god is infinitely greater than even the highest concept of the most advanced of men.

This is why it is incorrect for the materialist to go on and on about the words found in “scripture” concerning the wrath of god, the sacrifices required by god or the punishments done by god. For these words were written at a time when the highest concept of god was still that of a wrathful and vengeful deity, a deity not so far removed from the limited minds of his followers. Do not make the mistake of confusing the ideals of primitive men with the truth of the living god! God, if he exists, and I say he does, is far greater than the limited comprehension of even the best of men, and is infinitely greater than the backward views of the ancients, or even the modern fundamentalist.

So, you ask, what “proof” do I offer? I can offer no material proof. I need not offer material proof. There can be no material proof of a supermaterial thing. Instead I offer you the concept of values. There are no values in nature. Nature does not respect the concept of good or evil. Mechanistic machines, inhabiting a mechanistic and non spiritual universe could never hunger for truth, adore beauty of crave goodness. Because truth, beauty and goodness are not material values. They are supermaterial. Just as every mechanist here at this forum craves goodness, so are you supermaterial, and hence, spiritual. And if you are supermaterial, and hence spiritual, then from where came the original spirit? I say it came from god, and that a fragment of this same god indwells every one of us, even the mind of the materialist, even the confused mind of the fundamentalist. But that is only what I say. You are free to make your own interpretations of life.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Great response Al. It might even bear some fruit.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

thank you, thank you. I knew I was going to hear what I needed to hear to realign my spiritual compass.

Al, you comments were spectacular and well presented. I would be curious to know what the response was on the other forum. I also wish I had read your comments before my big argument last week with my agnostic in-law.

Thanks to everyone who commented. And yes, its true about anxiiety, it does revert me back to my ancestral state, I need to be mindful of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi everyone!

As usual, my comments were ignored. However I do note a jump in the "read" count when I post. I am hopeful that the unseen majority take some small bit of what I write (this post is fairly representative of my postings) and apply it to their own personal philosophy.

The fundamentalists and the atheists who dominate the forum are having way too much fun bashing each other to take much notice of little ol me... :roll:

I bring up the Urantia Book quite openly on this forum. I cut and paste small bits of it often and always with a link to TruthBook and with full accreditation to the source. I think the atheist regulars think I am nuts, but harmless. The worst abuse I get is from the fundamentalists. They consider me a danger.

PostPosted:  

Hey, Al

...there are unseen people reading and paying attention to your posts. This last one was a doozy.

I had a few slow moments at work this morning and cruised through. Didn't have time to do more than that...and cut and pasted your post and sent it back to my PC at home so I wouldn't "forget". It's a really good presentation from a fresh perspective...completely positive.

Thanks

Jo

Hey! Thought I had come to the wrong place at first...didn't know there was this change in store for us.
I'll have to play with the colors a bit.... :wink:

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

how about the work of conspiracy theorist ; David Icke, " The Biggest Secret ".

i learn few things, especially towards the last pages of his book; some contents seems to have connection to the revelation in TUB. If only Mr.David have read TUB.

Any comment?

PostPosted:  

Sorry Babuk, never heard of him.