Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:06 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: The meaning of Urantia
PostPosted:  

Hi everyone.

two quick notes. the awareness of Urantia seems to be growing so quickly and profoundly. I have really enjoyed seeing the youtube videos and the websites that are popping up - along with the news from the various Urantia communities around the world. As a 205+ year reader, it gives me great joy to see the book making its influence in such a positive way.

On the main note, Chris Halverson ( in Colorado - a well respected physicist and urantia book reader) has a wonderful entymological definition of the actual word Urantia, which, based on his explanation means 'your place in heaven' or 'your heavenly place.'

I was just pondering the notion that perhaps all evolutionary worlds in our system might be also called Urantia. We are actually called Urantia 606.

The Mansion worlds are all called Mansonia 1, 2, etc.

Are there any references to other worlds that are designated by name?

Not a deep spiritual question I know, but one I thought might be fun to ask.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

oh, and I am not 205 years old, I meant 25+ year urantia reader, not 205--

:razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

You don't look a day over 200!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

That's funny. I always assumed the revelators got the name Urantia from the Greek muse, Urania, which means heavenly. She is the muse of astronomy and is also the muse invoked in Milton's Paradise Lost. It seemed fitting.

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Mythology/Urania.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urania

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Maybe the name "Urantia" is derived from the land of "Ur" where Abraham was from.

Or maybe the "land of Ur" is derived from the name Urantia...

Who knows... but I wonder if this planet was named Urantia before the Urantia Book or after? Meaning, maybe "Urantia" is the best the revelators could come up with in our language and it is really called something else in Universe language.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

A number of people have done etymological studies on the coined words in the book over the past and there are any number of ways this can be approached; it's just about possible to come up with any meanings one sets out to prove. One of the things I appreciate about Chris Halvorson's work is that he based it on no previous attempts but derived his meanings independently. The problem is that Chris sometimes doesn't go into detail when he writes about how he arrives at his conclusions -- he gives the bare facts and expects the reader to do some independent thinking of their own.

Chris's began his etymology studies with the assumption that since TUB was indited in English and is an epochal revelation of spiritual truth that the revelators would have coined their words from English or its early derivatives and most likely not have used foreign languages. Chris's derivations come from a spiritual perspective... he chooses spiritual concepts over mundane ones and his conclusions are quite insightful and enlightening. You can read his initial work on Truthbook at http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=631

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Interesting that Mr. Halvorson and I came to the same conclusion independently; however, Urania is Greek, not English. But I really like KP's idea also. Perhaps the name Urania is derived from Ur. Ur was a heavenly city that existed long before the Greeks invented the name Urania.

I always thought that it was odd to pick the name Urantia when we already have a planet named Uranus, which is named after the Greek god of heaven, the husband of Gai, the earth goddess. The Online Etymology Dictionary has Urania and Uranus with the same origins. Interesting too that the name is used for both male and female.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sea ... hmode=none

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear jwatkins00,

Panoptia comes to mind, as a planet with a different name...

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1300#U53_7_1

I wonder what that might mean to the Panoptians...?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Just a "thought", but I found this as to the meaning and etymology of the name Ur...

This site gives the meaning of "Ur" as Flame or Light

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Ur.html

Considering the fact that some (if not many) of the names used in the Urantia Book have an "origin" in the Hebrew language (such as, Michael, Gabriel, Immanuel, Adam, Melchizedek, etc.) I would think that it is likely that the name "Urantia" has it's origin in Hebrew as well. Maybe it means "Light of Heaven"

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Kreneep wrote:
Just a "thought", but I found this as to the meaning and etymology of the name Ur...

This site gives the meaning of "Ur" as Flame or Light

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Ur.html

Considering the fact that some (if not many) of the names used in the Urantia Book have an "origin" in the Hebrew language (such as, Michael, Gabriel, Immanuel, Adam, Melchizedek, etc.) I would think that it is likely that the name "Urantia" has it's origin in Hebrew as well. Maybe it means "Light of Heaven"

Interesting KP and all. And Zoroaster got his influence for the establishment of Zoroasterianism from the legacy of Melchizedek`s Salem missionaries in UR about six hundred forty years BC. And instead of a symbolic cross in their spiritual service they have a Holy or "Heavenly Flame". They also are still one of the few religions that worship the seven master spirits of God the Sevenfold. There`s less than 2 million Zoroasterians left world wide. Their religion reverted back to mithraism by 325 AD and there highest spiritual celebration of the year was DEC 25th which a Pope around that time initiated as the day to celebrate Chirst`s birthday thus facilitationg the replacement of christianity for the celebrants of the than popular Mithras along with the Decree of Christianity as the official relegion of the roman empire.

The details may vary but the story is about right. I researched it last year for a world religions class and introduced TUB references for Zoroasterianism in my report. :smile: Two students were interested in further information and I gave them more links to TUB. :smile: