Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:51 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Truthbook.com is going through an extensive site update, which is a good thing. Any editing presents an opportunity for errors to creep in, which is a bad thing. This topic is intended to be a place where you can post suggestions or recommendations for the site as well as to record errors you've detected in any of the site material. We're welcoming your input... it will serve to make Truthbook.com a better site.

The version of The Urantia Book displayed on Truthbook.com is intended to be compliant with the first printing, the original 1955 Urantia Foundation printing. The Table of Contents of the Truthbook.com on-line edition of The Urantia Book begins at http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1661

Please report any text or audio errors you find in the text of the book or anywhere else on the site here and we'll take care of them immediately. This applies to all aspects of the site including the Quote of the Day.

Best wishes, and thank you,
Admin

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Here is one error I discovered recently. The sentence highlighted should read:
The Gospel was completed near the end of A.D. 68.

p1341:4 121:8.3 1. The Gospel by Mark. John Mark wrote the earliest (excepting the notes of Andrew), briefest, and most simple record of Jesus' life. He presented the Master as a minister, as man among men. Although Mark was a lad lingering about many of the scenes which he depicts, his record is in reality the Gospel according to Simon Peter. He was early associated with Peter; later with Paul. Mark wrote this record at the instigation of Peter and on the earnest petition of the church at Rome. Knowing how consistently the Master refused to write out his teachings when on earth and in the flesh, Mark, like the apostles and other leading disciples, was hesitant to put them in writing. But Peter felt the church at Rome required the assistance of such a written narrative, and Mark consented to undertake its preparation. He made many notes before Peter died in A.D. 67, and in accordance with the outline approved by Peter and for the church at Rome, he began his writing soon after Peter's death. The Gospel was completed near the end of A.D. Mark wrote entirely from his own memory and Peter's memory. The record has since been considerably changed, numerous passages having been taken out and some later matter added at the end to replace the latter one fifth of the original Gospel, which was lost from the first manuscript before it was ever copied. This record by Mark, in conjunction with Andrew's and Matthew's notes, was the written basis of all subsequent Gospel narratives which sought to portray the life and teachings of Jesus.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Thanks Iris -- that's fixed now.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

A small typo:

p1444:2 131:2.2 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth and all things therein. And, behold, all he created was very good. The Lord, he is God; there is none beside him in heaven above or upon the earth beneath. Therefore shall you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. The earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows his handiwork. Day after day utters speech; night after night shows knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. The Lord's work is great, and in wisdom has he made all things; the greatness of the Lord is unsearchable. He knows the number of the stars; he calls them a ll by their names.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Another:

p1444:6 131:2.6 "God has made man a little less than divine and has crowned him with love and mercy. The Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the ungodly shall perish. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; the knowledge of the Supreme is understanding. Says the Almighty God: 'Walk before me and be perfect.' Forget not that pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. He who rules his own spirit is mightier than he who takes a city. Says the Lord God, the Holy One: 'In return ing to your spiritual rest shall you be saved; in quietness and confidence shall be your strength.' They who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not be faint. The Lord shall give you rest from your fear. Says the Lord: 'Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.'

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks Iris...!

Those have been fixed now. We appreciate your eagle eye.

Good catch!

MaryJo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In the INDEX under Goodness there is an error:

return good for evil 140:2.15(2091;4), 140:6.9(1577;3)

There is no such section and paragraph (140:2.15) ... this error is also found in the Uversa edition of the Urantia Book in the index (so I presume that the Truthbook Index -online is the same as the Uversa edition)...

Another error:

Quote:
179:5.9 When Jesus had thus established the supper of the remembrance, he said to the twelve: " And as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me. And when you do remember me, first look back upon my life in the flesh, recall that I was once with you, and then, by faith, discern that you shall all some time sup with me in the Father's eternal kingdom. This is the new Passover which I leave with you, even the memory of my bestowal life, the word of eternal truth; and of my love for you, the outpouring of my Spirit of Truth upon all flesh. "

At the time that Jesus spoke these words, there were ELEVEN apostles left, not Twelve. Judas had already left the building! (Someone said that in the original 1955 edition it says "apostles")....

Quote:
179:4.4 Peter was highly excited by what had been said, and leaning forward over the table, he addressed John, " Ask him who it is, or if he has told you, tell me who is the betrayer. "

179:4.5 Jesus brought their whisperings to an end by saying: " I sorrow that this evil should have come to pass and hoped even up to this hour that the power of truth might triumph over the deceptions of evil, but such victories are not won without the faith of the sincere love of truth. I would not have told you these things at this, our last supper, but I desire to warn you of these sorrows and so prepare you for what is now upon us. I have told you of this because I desire that you should recall, after I have gone, that I knew about all these evil plottings, and that I forewarned you of my betrayal. And I do all this only that you may be strengthened for the temptations and trials which are just ahead. "

179:4.6 When Jesus had thus spoken, leaning over toward Judas, he said: " What you have decided to do, do quickly. " And when Judas heard these words, he arose from the table and hastily left the room, going out into the night to do what he had set his mind to accomplish. When the other apostles saw Judas hasten off after Jesus had spoken to him, they thought he had gone to procure something additional for the supper or to do some other errand for the Master since they supposed he still carried the bag.

This is also errored in the Uversa edition.

Another error:

self control

augment life's fraction by lowering denominator of personal demands 71:3.4(803;4), 89:3.3(976;5)

this quote is not found in 71:3.4 --- it is found only in 89:3.3

I'm sure you can correct these, but I wish they could be corrected for the next printing as well... do you have contact with Uversa Publisher?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I have the original first printing edition of TUB and the word "twelve" appears as written.

I don't see anything wrong with the way it is written. It is referring to the remembrance supper in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks, Kreneep, for the posting. I did send this one to the folks at the Fellowship, who are the publishers of the Uversa Urantia Book.

We do not have that index published here at Truthbook, so that is not an issue for us, but it is good to know that you have caught these errors, so that the Fellowship can address them. Instead of the index, we have our online search engine, which serves the same purpose, but is even more versatile.

You can find it here:

http://www.truthbook.com/search/UBParagraphs_VSearchForm.cfm

Thanks again for your interest in these matters. Please let us know if you find any other errors...

As for the wording about the "twelve," on our online version, it says "apostles." And in my hard copy (6th printing 1978) it says "apostles," so that was caught at some point. I think the Uversa version is the 1955 version, word for word, just so that there is an original version available.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

You will find discrepancies between some of the text of The Urantia Book on Truthbook.com compared to your printed versions, unless you're reading a first edition. An effort has been made to make the text displayed on Truthbook identical with the text of the first printing. Every printing since then, both Foundation and Uversa Press, has variations from the first printing so there's no standardization other than using the text of the first printing as a basis.

You can see what changes have been made to various printing since the origninal 1955 printing on our site under "The Urantia Book" section, topic "Corrections and Changes Made to The Urantia Book" which links to http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1250

The first printing was not perfect -- it contained a couple of punctuation and typographical errors of little significance. All of the changes since then amount to tinkering.

159:4.8 “Mark you well my words, Nathaniel, nothing which human nature has touched can be regarded as infallible. Through the mind of man divine truth may indeed shine forth, but always of relative purity and partial divinity. The creature may crave infallibility, but only the Creators possess it.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I guess I get Truthbook mixed up with Urantiabook.org... sorry

Urantiabook.org uses the Uversa edition...

Iris:

The way the "story" is going in Paper 179, it is not correct because Judas had already left before Jesus took the third cup, "the cup of blessing"...

He washed their feet after the "first cup"... Judas was present.

After He washed their feet, they were served the "second cup", Judas was still present.... and before the "third cup.. the cup of blessing" was served Judas left. Judas never received the third cup, which was the CUP OF REMEMBERANCE. So then there were ELEVEN.

So the Urantia Book has an error... OMG... how horrible... OMG... it's not infallible!!!

Come on you guys... the error is obvious and it doesn't make any difference in your salvation or you spiritual growth....

There were many errors or typos in the 1955 version from what I have been told.... it doesn't take away from the fact that celestial beings were the authors...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
I guess I get Truthbook mixed up with Urantiabook.org... sorry

Me too! I thought this was a Fellowship site. Who are you guys!?!?!?!?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

KP,

I read that paragraph as a summing up of things, not as a sequence in the story. There were twelve there for most of the supper. I think it can be understood both ways. Read it which ever way you like and for you it will be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Who are "Truthbook.com"? Here's a link to the "About Us" page on the home page:
http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=4

Thanks Iris... I believe your observation is correct. Readers become hypercritical at times and toss out discernment in favor of literalism. There are similar places where people have decided they know better than what the revelators related and the text was altered -- "muscles" changed to "mussels" -- "in a manger" removed -- "west" changed to "east" -- come to mind.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

admin:

Quote:
There are similar places where people have decided they know better than what the revelators related and the text was altered

I am sorry, but I did not "decide" that I know "better" that the revelators and I do believe I am reading the book "in context" and that I have not become "hypercritical at times and toss(ed) out discernment in favor of literalism."

It is obvious that the revelators were not "summarizing" as Iris says, because they continued on with the narration with the "third cup" being served.

Why is it so difficult for someone to acknowledge that the Urantia Book is not infallible.

Iris: You even said it correctly right here:

Quote:
There were twelve there for most of the supper.

Judas was not there after the second cup. It is plain to read and it isn't my "literalism" that says so. Neither is it my "discernment"... it is my observation of the continuance of the narrative.

What is everyone so afraid of? Why is it so hard to admit that the Urantia Book (the 1955 edition all the way through the 1993 edition) has some obvious typos and errors... yes errors... if your faith is based on this book being the infallible "epochal revelation" as Christians (including myself at one time) believe the Bible to be the infallible word of God, then you have not based your faith on the right thing and you will be disappointed somewhere along the road or else you will just wake up to the fact that neither are infallible because both have been touched by human mind.

Maybe the revelators used "out-dated" spellings and hyphens where they shouldn't be... or maybe the woman who typed everything from notes made the mistakes... it doesn't really matter in the long run whether there were eleven or twelve? But since I am a stickler for things being correct, I see where there were twelve before the third cup and only eleven when the third cup was served. Even the apostles wondered if Judas had gone to get more for the supper.

Quote:
179:4.6 When Jesus had thus spoken, leaning over toward Judas, he said: " What you have decided to do, do quickly. " And when Judas heard these words, he arose from the table and hastily left the room, going out into the night to do what he had set his mind to accomplish. When the other apostles saw Judas hasten off after Jesus had spoken to him, they thought he had gone to procure something additional for the supper or to do some other errand for the Master since they supposed he still carried the bag.

179:4.7 Jesus now knew that nothing could be done to keep Judas from turning traitor. He started with twelve—now he had eleven. He chose six of these apostles, and though Judas was among those nominated by his first-chosen apostles, still the Master accepted him and had, up to this very hour, done everything possible to sanctify and save him, even as he had wrought for the peace and salvation of the others.

Quote:
179:5.9 When Jesus had thus established the supper of the remembrance, he said to the [eleven/apostles]: " And as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me. And when you do remember me, first look back upon my life in the flesh, recall that I was once with you, and then, by faith, discern that you shall all some time sup with me in the Father's eternal kingdom. This is the new Passover which I leave with you, even the memory of my bestowal life, the word of eternal truth; and of my love for you, the outpouring of my Spirit of Truth upon all flesh. "

179:5.10 And they ended this celebration of the old but bloodless Passover in connection with the inauguration of the new supper of the remembrance, by singing, all together, the one hundred and eighteenth Psalm.

Judas never came back for this portion of the supper. And to think any differently would be to say the revelators forgot to mention that Judas had returned. I see nowhere that he had returned to the table after he had gone out to "do what he must do" before the "third cup". He indeed had not returned, so there makes the eleven. That is obvious and not due to anything other than being able to read what was written.

There is no mystery, no discernment, just a small error of overlooking the fact that Judas had left and did not return, else the revelators would have mentioned his return.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next