Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:57 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Hello fellow readers,

Like most people who have discovered and love the Urantia Book, I constantly try to think of new ways to introduce its concepts and teachings.

Here's the question - is it wrong to speak of the concepts and teachings in The Urantia Book and not reference the book in any way?

In other words, let's say I was speaking to someone about life after death, and I relayed to that person what happens what we die, where we go, tell them about Mansonia and Jersuem and about the soul and the spirit, etc. Invariably, they will ask "how do you know all this?"

At this point, I can either tell them about The Urantia Book - and then of course the discussion will have shifted from spiritual concepts to the source of those concepts - and then the person to whom I will be speaking will be forced to make a choice based not on the concepts thesmelves, but on a supposed book of spiritual origin.

Let me add this: Jesus taught spirirtual truth - but he never mentioned that he was Michael of Nebadon incarnate in the flesh. While he spoke of the Fathers' kingdom, he spoke of it terms people could understand - and he didn't teach them too much, only what he knew what they could comprehend (because he knew human behavior so well).

Is there a lesson to be learned here?

I would love to explain the Trinity Teachers and the Solitary Messengers. I would love to tell people about Jerusem and Orvonton, about the Isle of Paradise, but do I have to say The Urantia Book told me? Or should I just say, I know 'whereof I speak' and leave it at that.

Is it wrong to NOT mention the Urantia Book when trying to share its many truths with my bretheren?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Brother Jim

I can understand your apprehension to desclose where you got this knowledge, we all have had our moments, but to suppress where you got this knowledge isn't what the revelators would want you to do. Be well grounded in the teachings, and be prepared for dissapointment.

Brother Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

I think whether you feel it necessary to mention The Urantia Book or not depends on how you've assimilated its teachings. Those new to the book, still considering and deciding, still not fully confident of its meanings and values in their lives will feel it necessary to qualify what they're relating. Those who've absorbed its message for the most part, who've had their perceptions altered and who accept its teachings as their foundation for reality will feel comfortable taking ownership of what they believe and won't find it necessary to qualify their convictions.

I think these are normal steps we all go through -- saying "The Urantia Book says..." or "I learned from The Urantia Book..." will, eventually over time, begin to make one feel like they're hiding behind their mother's apron. At some point you become willing to accept the concepts as your own, not something you learned in a book.

For us human beings there's very little that's new under the sun -- all our thought and ideas rely to some degree on the thoughts and ideas of others. The way we process them may be unique, but most of the things we know we know because we've learned it from somewhere. How necessary do we find it to attribute every "borrowed" idea and concept to the source we got it from, a source that got it from somewhere else? Knowledge is a gradual accumulation of thoughts , concepts and ideas over the course of a lifetime or over the lifetime of a civilization. Conversation would be pretty difficult if we felt it necessary to attribute every thought to the source from which we first acquired it.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I agree with what Larry said, for the most part. Furthermore, the UB authors themselves stated that they borrowed concepts from existing human sources when necessary. This alone should tell you that stating "This came from the Urantia Book" is not necessary because it can be found in other places. I don't think you'd be doing the UB a disservice if you decided to not reveal it as a source. Many people are not ready for yet another "holy" book purporting to be a source of divine knowledge and wisdom, but many are indeed ready to receive truth from whatever source it may come. You just have to make an educated guess based upon what you know of the person to whom you are speaking whether he or she may be open to knowing the actual source. Even if you believe they are open, be prepared for many disappointments. Some may actually have interest but be intimidated by reading and studying such a large book. Some may just want the instant gratification of you telling them the answers they want instead of looking for themselves. Still others will recoil as if merely mentioning a book other than the Bible would send them straight to the fires of perdition. Only a few, a very few, will be open and ready and hungry enough to want to investigate further.

So to make a long story short, no, it is not wrong to not mention the UB when sharing the knowledge and truth contained therein, but if you feel or sense that the person is ready for it, it's certainly OK to give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
I think these are normal steps we all go through -- saying "The Urantia Book says..." or "I learned from The Urantia Book..." will, eventually over time, begin to make one feel like they're hiding behind their mother's apron. At some point you become willing to accept the concepts as your own, not something you learned in a book.

I agree, Larry...

Over time, the truths that the Urantia Book contains should become a part of our own convictions and personal revelation making it something that we talk about as easily and fluently as we do about anything else we know to be true. We should come to the place that knowledge and truth are a given and not something we have to always "quote".

Bible-thumpers quote chapter and verse (sometimes without giving the chapter and verse)... it has become such a part of some of them that they no longer have to say, "the Bible says".

When you assimilate the truths that are in the Urantia Book, don't forget Truth does not belong to the Urantia Book. So, if you are able to quote or articulate the truths from the Urantia Book without having to say "the Urantia Book says", you have either memorized it or you have made it a part of your being (hopefully the latter)...

It is OK NOT to mention the Urantia Book... it is the truth that you want to share...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

JW asks:
Quote:
Here's the question - is it wrong to speak of the concepts and teachings in The Urantia Book and not reference the book in any way?

I would say NO. Unless demand for the source outwieghs the benefit of the truth shared.

P.1949 - §4 Divine truth is a spirit-discerned and living reality. Truth exists only on high spiritual levels of the realization of divinity and the consciousness of communion with God. You can know the truth, and you can live the truth; you can experience the growth of truth in the soul and enjoy the liberty of its enlightenment in the mind, but you cannot imprison truth in formulas, codes, creeds, or intellectual patterns of human conduct. When you undertake the human formulation of divine truth, it speedily dies. The post-mortem salvage of imprisoned truth, even at best, can eventuate only in the realization of a peculiar form of intellectualized glorified wisdom. Static truth is dead truth, and only dead truth can be held as a theory. Living truth is dynamic and can enjoy only an experiential existence in the human mind.

What did Jorge Urantia's moniker used to say. Share the Truth not a book. Something like that. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks to all of you for such great insight. After reading the reponses, I feel like I have a better grasp of the question I asked and I now feel I have my answer. Truth is truth, no matter where it comes from.

One thing I really admire about the Urantia community is that you are all so free of dogma - it really is quite refreshing -

Thank you again.

PostPosted:  

As for sharing the Urantia Book...the criteria for me is, should I share it
or its teachings. Actually for me, its more a matter of living the teachings,
personally in my own life, in a daily sort of way, that's the most crucial
and meaningful expression of my exposure to the UB revelation.

From that framework, perhaps the opportunity arises to share
the source of my beatitude.

beatitude, Noun, supreme blessedness or happiness [Latin beatitudo]

[I encourage anyone to check out the Wiki page on the word "beatitudes".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatitudes]

-r

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The UB says that it should not be revered sacred. So I don't think you need to mention it if you don't want to. But why wouldent you? Even if you face rejection they still know about it latter in life they will hear the name and may pick it up. you will be suprised how catchy the UB and the truth realy is. if they even consiter your stories from the book even plausable they will read the book. Just say it was writen by aliens thats how they got me to read it. who can argue with aliens, really.

best wishes brother

NAB

PS. a suggestion have an extra copy to lend out, it easier to spur reading if they need to finish it and give it back. most people don't want to hold on to someone elses property for 20 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

We are asked to be courageous and wise....It is not so important that you speak of the U.B. but that you live and share the truths you find in it and let those that are peaked in curious interest as to where you came of this knowledge,.. say to them that it was a natural part of your journey as you opened your mind and heart to God,
As those seeds grow and if they come back to you to talk more, in time when they are rip than suggest new materials for them to read and study to continue their path and let the U.B. be one of those that you inform them about. For in truth the U.B. is just a tool not the source.

Stay True To The Journey

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I have the same situation right now in my life...I have a newly found friend and we share many insights and talk about God and Jesus and the goodness of leading a spirit filled life. She goes to a large community church. She knows I don't attend a church and knows I was raised Catholic. She has never asked me to join her. We do go out on play days and have fun. I want to show her the UB and to share this important part of my life with her. I have prayed about this many times. I say why not...but then afraid of her reaction but also want to be true to myself, like it or not...what to do??? Oh yeah and by the way...she is my boss :?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Tootsie,
Sometimes it takes a long time for certian crops to ripen.
She is probably wanting to invite you to church but doesn't know how to bring it up because she is your boss.
Hard tellin' 'bout those sort o things :wink:
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Tootsie, just a thought, but maybe you might let her know you'd like to check her church out and meet her there some Sunday.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Do I have to? :P :P :P

Actually she knows I work on Sunday...taking care of the ladies in the elderly home...she understands that it is holy for me to be of service on that day...On everyday in everyway I pray...

but I understand what you are saying...to go there and make the first step. but then again I want to turn her on to the UB.

Let go and let God...as the ole saying goes...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Right - Just keep your eyes and ears open, and one of these days, she'll give you an opening that you'll be able to step into...with a question, maybe. Like the Master, we have to become clever at detecting human longings, and we all have 'em...