Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:19 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: if you love me...
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Jesus then turned toward Peter and asked, "Peter, do you love me?" Peter answered, "Lord, you know I love you with all my soul." Then said Jesus: "If you love me, Peter, feed my lambs. Do not neglect to minister to the weak, the poor, and the young. Preach the gospel without fear or favor; remember always that God is no respecter of persons. Serve your fellow men even as I have served you; forgive your fellow mortals even as I have forgiven you. Let experience teach you the value of meditation and the power of intelligent reflection."

Powerful stuff... How did these questions and statements make you feel when you heard them?

I personally sympathise with Peter, and kinda of imagine myself as him as well, and I felt so comforted and rejuvinated when I got to paper 192 yesterday. I love how he continually ask's the apostles if they love him, and he would follow up with a task basically meaning let your love for me shine to all your brothers/sisters. How awesome is that? The best in the Biz... I know all Michael's must be just as loving and devine but I trully think I our Michael of Nebadon take's the CAKE!

I just finished reading part 4 once again, and there are so many great paper's however to me paper 192 really sets the bar, and gives me a clear pathway of love to follow.

Do any of you feel similar? How does reading paper 192 make you feel?

Peace and love

your brother dave :smile:

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The power of Love!

It is an important reminder that the Apostles were kept to a higher standard, as our Master Son's mission was for them to carry on the important task of revealing the Father and the Brotherhood of Man... to ALL.

Their responsibilities were awesome, perilous, and for many... fatal.

Naturally, I am as inspired in rendering such service when I read about Jesus and his relation to these twelve men. And then soon, I realize my true position is not that of an Apostle's. This can be deflating, until I remember that within the sphere of my influence I can act to the mandate of perfection granted me by my loving Father.

It is not nearly as potent! but as long as I am awake to the sufferings of my fellows, I will always be afforded the opportunity to act... showing my love to Jesus!

Last edited by skazmar on Tue May 26, 2009 12:59 pm +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

well said brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

How does Paper 192 make me feel? Profoundly melancholy. Like after having watched a really compelling movie, a love story, one in which the plot line lures the audience into a profound experience, one that calls for the hero or the heroine to make life-altering decisions that will affect a lot of people, one in which the hero dies in the end. It makes me feel like I felt after watching "A River Runs Through It" or "Saving Private Ryan" or any film or piece of music or life experience in which I am lifted up and given a glimpse of greatness, and a taste of tragedy.

When I read the Urantia Book for the first time, it was as if that Book was written for me and me alone. It answered all my questions, responded to all my needs. It revealed to me things about my planetary home that I had never learned in school; it revealed to me and identified for me the Indwelling Adjuster, and introduced me to it in such a way that I was no longer the same person. I became infinitely more as a human being simply from the perspective I derived from reading the Book. And when I came to Part IV it was like getting to know Jesus ... a man I had heard about from the time I was a toddler, but never really knew until he revealed himself to me, heart and soul, through these pages.

It was the apostles themselves that made him most real to me because they were just like me. They had egos and insecurities, they had fears and longings and problems; they were human in every way, and yet they were privileged to be associates of the Master. Well, let me tell you, when he said, "Follow me" I was right there! I would have followed him anywhere, and I did! I lived there with the other apostles. I felt their fear and their pain and their victory. I laughed at their antics and pitied their ignorance. I was like them and, in truth, I was them. I emerged from having read that book as an apostle. I was reborn to a new way of life. I had given myself to God in service to the multitudes.

Everytime I sit and read the Urantia Book, to me it is just like sitting around the campfire with Jesus and my fellow apostles of yesteryear. I am there with them in spirit, transcending time and space. It matters not that they lived 2,000 years ago. They live in me, today. And so when I read Jesus ask John, "Do you love me?" it is not only John he is asking, or Peter. He is asking Gerdean. "Do you love me?" and I say "Yes, Lord." When he says, "Then give up your intolerance. Do not neglect to minister to the weak, the poor, and the young. Forgive your fellows. Take good care of my sheep." I know it is me he is talking to and I have to ask, Am I being intolerant? Am I neglecting to minister, or to forgive? Am I doing what I need to do in order to manifest his love?

I am an apostle. I understand apostolic zeal. The privilege I enjoy is no less for me, simply because I was born 2000 years later than the original apostles enjoyed. I am blessed, in my lifetime, to be the recipient of the fifth epochal revelation, as they were privileged to know the fourth. This is the wonder of this book. Now, 40 years later, when I read Paper 192, particularly the part where Jesus is talking to the apostles two and two, I get nostalgic for the good old days. I get a homesick kind of feeling, like looking into a photo album of when I was a kid, remembering when I was walking along the beach with Jesus, and he was asking me, "Gerdean, do you obey me?"

It is sad that he had to leave us, but he is with me today. All I have to do is reach out and he is there. And his book is there, like a photo album, to remind me of all the things we talked about -- and more! So when I read Paper 192, particularly the part about talking to the apostles two and two, I get nostalgic, and homesick for the Master, and for the good old days when our love was new. I am sad to remember that he had to leave us, and yet I am profoundly glad to remember the intimacy of those days in my youth when I had the opportunity to walk and talk with him ... through these pages.

But I tend to get maudlin, even without alcohol.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Sister that is the exact response I was looking for. I feel that exact same way but when I wrote this post I figured that if I told that story then other's wouldn't be able to own the reponse like you now do. I love it!

I am on the journey too! I cry like a baby everytime I read Simon Peter put his hand on the Master shoulder and tell him I declare that these things of which you talk about will never come to pass master, and then Jesus rebukes him for the thinking that way, but we are all human and everyone of us would have told him the exact same thing!

I cry when Andrew doubted that Peter had seen the risen master, because like peter I have told tall tails and it's harder to believe someone who has already prooved to not be trust worthy.

I cry everytime I encounter the Apostles being human/apostles because I know that I would make those same mistakes even as they already have 2000 years ago.

I know what you mean about the book being written for you. I know my spirit of truth goes off like a radar siren everytime I read from the UB and it gives me that CONVINCED feeling of truth.

Thank you for sharing sister that was beautiful

your brother dave

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I love you, brother Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gerdean and brother dave

I'm right there with you two. It wasn't a book, or a story I was reading...I was there. I have never had the words to describe the experience but you two have done an admirable job of it. I'm not sure if anyone can read part four without becoming a part of it. Well, I guess it's possible but only if one is simply "reading words" and trying to find fault. But somewhere along the line I think the words disappear and you're drawn in, defenses fall and you're just there...alive in the midst of the wonder of it all.

To me, Christ's relationship with the apostles was/is probably the most enlightening aspect of his personality. He took such care with them, even when he had to chastise one or the other. He more than loved them, it was if he was "in love" with each individual, all individuals, including myself. I felt a positively irresistible divine longing for us.

Thanks...I needed this topic.

Peace
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Aloha. I like to live my life like Jesus did...by going about my day...doing good...the many little opportunities that present themselves. One of the experiences that shook me was...there was this man who use to walk the highway down at the beach. He had long hair and beard, wore coverings made of natural fiber...coconut etc. Kinda scary..tall and lean. I would pass and wonder where he slept. I saw him often...he would wave...one day I stopped. I had bought him a large bottle of water. He approached the car and intently looked in the window...his eyes were clear and blue as the ocean. I offered him the water. He smiled and would only take a coconut shell full. He motioned that he would not speak. He then pointed to the sky, touched his heart and pointed at me. I don't see him anymore and often think of him. A profound experience for sure...Namaste...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I love you too sister. Your story touched my spirit O:) .

Quote:
To me, Christ's relationship with the apostles was/is probably the most enlightening aspect of his personality. He took such care with them, even when he had to chastise one or the other. He more than loved them, it was if he was "in love" with each individual, all individuals, including myself. I felt a positively irresistible divine longing for us.

Sister Jo

I feel the same way and I'm sure it's because of the human interelationship that he had with the apostles that made me see his personality, and it allowed me to do three things and in order they are:
1. Fall in love with Jesus
2. Desire to never let him down
3. Follow after him no matter what!

I know each of us who feels the same at one point or another have said out loud that I choose to do the fathers will I want my will to be his will! and after saying and experiencing something like that there will be very few that ever turn there back on a life changing event like that.

I know Judas did and there will be others who follow the path of loneliness but if we stay together... "two and two" we will always be able to comfort each other and keep each other strong...

Hello Sister Tootsie <-- love your name

Namaste to you sister. Your story made me think that I should always keep my mouth shut in order to give someone else a better experience :) it made me notice a bit of why the master would speak in parables towards the end of his preaching because being silent allows the other person to understand your ministry up to their individual comprehension level... That just might be my next thing to try... Hand out UB quotes and don't speak just touch my heart, point to their heart, point up and wave good bye... How wonderful Thank you for sharing sister!

Bless all who enter this chat room, bless all who need some comfort and hopefully anything any of us have said might find a way to give you courage... even if you just so happened to stroll upon this thread. Take up strength brother/sister for you are among family and god blesses all of us his children.

your brother dave

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quite beautiful posts, all.

On reading the quote, my first thought was, "Be deliberate".

Of note is the repetition of the phrase "even as I have". Certainly there is more to this than implying exact duplication. I like the methodology Jesus employed in dealing with "The Guys". He reveals it in his closing statement, "Let experience teach you the value of meditation and the power of intelligent reflection."

Be deliberate.

Very powerful stuff...transformational.

Be blessed,

Bill

Last edited by Uncle Bill on Sun May 31, 2009 7:10 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey brother Dave and all. Good to see you and this positive thread. It is moving to see how much ALL of you Love Jesus.

Peter has always been my favorite apostle. Way before I found the Urantia Book. I loved Peter's Character. So impetuous. So Loyal. He was almost sappy Loyal. I liked how dedicated he was to Jesus. Perhaps Jesus' most involved relationship was with John Zebedee. But i don't think Peter would believe anyone Loved Jesus more than him. It was almost a blind Loyalty. He was going to Love Jesus no matter what.

So at about 12 years of age. I'm getting Confirmed. And the cool thing about confirmation besides affirming your faith in God the threefold, is choosing your own name. And choosing to be like someone you admire in the history of your faith. I never had a doubt about choosing Peter as my confirmation name. I loved Jesus so much I wanted to be devoted to Jesus like Peter was with an almost blind Loyalty. I had a sense within me that I would never leave his side.

I could feel Peter's frustration when Jesus repeated his question three times to Peter, Do you love me? I could feel Peter's guilt of denying Jesus three times, after Jesus' capture. I felt there was a sense of pain within Peter that was accompanied by the absolution of God's Jesus' prefect Love. He prepared Peter for the trials he was to face. With an undeniable Love for Jesus he would live his Life for Jesus and Give his Life for Jesus.

Just like us. :smile: I'm am blessed to be in the company of all of you here who Love God SO MUCH! :-) I'm am blessed. I use to suffer. I used to worry about things. I use to feel alone. But God led me to him. And I haven't been alone for a long time. I'm a fearless adventurer with a whole retinue of God's heavenly beings accompanying me. It's a very sweet life. And I ask God where do you want me today Lord? How may I serve you? I'm am ready for my challenges. God has prepared me. Jesus loves me and He knows I love him too.

I still slip up just like Peter but Jesus is always ready to receive me once again. Joe do you Love me. Lord you know I love you. Feed my sheep.... You bet cha' Lord. I'm there.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

But like Peter I'm never really there as much as I would like to be. At the critical moment to often I shrink away. But Jesus is always ready to give me another chance. Do you love me Joe. I do Lord but sometimes I'm weak give me strength Lord make me strong in your service. Feed my sheep. I'm on it Lord. And with renew strength and Love I'm ready to serve again.

Thank you brother Dave and all here for your tolerance and Love. :smile: God Bless You All Always. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

that was wonderful brother it hits me down low! You have told me that story before and I love it. I too would choose Peter, if I were able too for my new name. I love Peter. My favorite Peter moment of all time is when the Apostles were fishing and Jesus appeared to them on the sea shore asking if they caught any fish, and once it was wispered in Peter's ear the person by the edge of the lake was the master he jumped in the water to be near the master that much sooner. My eyes tear up everytime because I want to be near the master and I KNOW I would jump in the water with Peter perhapse pushing him out the way so that I can get their first :) just kidding Peter would be pissed if anyone did that to him.

It's like all of us his followers are just like the apostles, and at the same time we get to live through their experiences and it does suppliment our want for the master. At lease for me it does.

Thank you for sharing brother I am always much, MUCH more interested in loving posts with positive responses.

Post subject: Re: if you love me...
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Hey brother Dave and all. Good to see you and this positive thread. It is moving to see how much ALL of you Love Jesus.

Peter has always been my favorite apostle. Way before I found the Urantia Book. I loved Peter's Character. So impetuous. So Loyal. He was almost sappy Loyal. I liked how dedicated he was to Jesus. Perhaps Jesus' most involved relationship was with John Zebedee. But i don't think Peter would believe anyone Loved Jesus more than him. It was almost a blind Loyalty. He was going to Love Jesus no matter what.

So at about 12 years of age. I'm getting Confirmed. And the cool thing about confirmation besides affirming your faith in God the threefold, is choosing your own name. And choosing to be like someone you admire in the history of your faith. I never had a doubt about choosing Peter as my confirmation name. I loved Jesus so much I wanted to be devoted to Jesus like Peter was with an almost blind Loyalty. I had a sense within me that I would never leave his side.

I could feel Peter's frustration when Jesus repeated his question three times to Peter, Do you love me? I could feel Peter's guilt of denying Jesus three times, after Jesus' capture. I felt there was a sense of pain within Peter that was accompanied by the absolution of God's Jesus' prefect Love. He prepared Peter for the trials he was to face. With an undeniable Love for Jesus he would live his Life for Jesus and Give his Life for Jesus.

Just like us. I'm am blessed to be in the company of all of you here who Love God SO MUCH! I'm am blessed. I use to suffer. I used to worry about things. I use to feel alone. But God led me to him. And I haven't been alone for a long time. I'm a fearless adventurer with a whole retinue of God's heavenly beings accompanying me. It's a very sweet life. And I ask God where do you want me today Lord? How may I serve you? I'm am ready for my challenges. God has prepared me. Jesus loves me and He knows I love him too.

I still slip up just like Peter but Jesus is always ready to receive me once again. Joe do you Love me. Lord you know I love you. Feed my sheep.... You bet cha' Lord. I'm there.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

But like Peter I'm never really there as much as I would like to be. At the critical moment to often I shrink away. But Jesus is always ready to give me another chance. Do you love me Joe. I do Lord but sometimes I'm weak give me strength Lord make me strong in your service. Feed my sheep. I'm on it Lord. And with renew strength and Love I'm ready to serve again.

Thank you brother Dave and all here for your tolerance and Love. God Bless You All Always.

Here I am crying at work in front of my all too foggy computer screen... I can hardly see the words enough to check If they are spelt correct, but I'm not crying simply because I miss brother Joe, but because I miss him in my life... I miss his role in my life... Almost everytime that someone leaves our lives someone else comes in and takes their place or at least that's been so with me any ways... It's been a long time since I wrote this paper, almost a year ago and WOW can I see a difference in me and others! I have found someone who is like a mentor to me again and he is kind, and gentle, but brother Joe was like my favorite Apostle too... I love Peter, and so did brother Joe... It was almost a perfect match for me finding brother Joe here and I miss him very much.

This paper is still dear to me, and since this post I have read part 4 several times and it still get's me every time O:)

PostPosted:  

That kind of sincere love is so beautiful...I hope the pain in your missing Joe will ease with time. I lost some folks I loved a bunch not too long back....definitely hurts daily. I went back and read many of his posts....can see why you loved him so. I wish I could have known him while he was here and I can't wait to meet him and give him a big hug in my awesome morontia form.

Hugs from Mom "Mama" :D

PostPosted:  

Hi...I miss the sweet loving posting of Joer too. I was cleaning out my inbox the other day...and I had several pm's from Joer...they are like jewels in my box...

Aloha to you all...