Do you attend church?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
No 46%  46%  [ 13 ]
Can't find a suitable one 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
It's sorta like a church but... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Going to church
PostPosted:  

I was just wondering if y'all attend church... why and why not... and what criteria ya used to select a church...

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

I said no because I attend church so infrequently. I like churches and I've gone to just about every kind you can shake a stick at and found all of them to have, if not a particularly spiritual component then at least a peaceful or camaraderie atmosphere. No, Urantians don't believe a lot of what's preached at churches but that's not an adequate excuse for staying away. I'm not a proponent of Urantian churches but I am a proponent of Urantians going to the churches of their choice and becoming involved in the social and religious aspects churches already provide.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I never thought of that. Not a bad idea! 8)

Post subject: going to church
PostPosted:  

No

For the exception of weddings and funerals I don't go. Knowing what I know keeps me away. If I knew of a church that had a good worship service I would consider it. The closes I go is on the radio. I listen to Chuck Smiths Calvary Chapel out of San Clemente to keep up with the fundamental preaching. There are some Pastors who have a very active Spirit and if they only new the UB. And then there are some who are way out in left field.

My future work requires that I keep informed and the radio does the trick.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I don't go to church.I wind up comparing what I hear there to the Ubook.
I know we are supposed to not sell the Ubook (except by example),ao I just don't get into that. Here in the Bible Belt,there is always an opportunity for debate. I figure we can all learn together in the next world.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Why or why not?

I don't go to church. I don't go because, frankly, I have never forgotten that "the church" threatened me with disfellowship when I was 13 years of age. "Shunning" is a barbaric practice. Any group of alleged religionists that would threaten a child with ostracization does not deserve my or anyone's attention, faith, belief, or financial contribution.

I know it sounds like I am carrying a grudge, and maybe I am, but over the years, my experience has repeated itself enough to assure me that people who are steeped in sanctimony, brainwashed in Pauline Christianity, people who are "squeeky-clean" and people who take themselves and their religion too seriously (even Urantia Book readers), will pass judgment on me, whereas God will look into my heart.

I have subsequently attended many church services with the idea of giving myself up to the worship experience with fellow religionists. I open my heart, my mind and my soul to the spirit communion and sure enough some joker will come along and accuse me of being a sinner, start talking about how Jesus died for me, and making reference to "the blood of the lamb" or some such biblical teaching that makes my skin crawl and my head ache.

As a result of my experience, I tend to defy those who present themselves as self-righteous or pious and I behave badly around church-goers. When I hear certain buzz words, I become irreverent. I turn into a Gonzo journalist or something, and say things that are inappropriate. When I hear myself using four letter words and see the shocked look on their faces and the glazed look in their eyes, I know I have not done the situation any favors, for chances are that soon a church elder or a head honcho will come after me and I will be reprimanded, shamed, and once again reminded of how it feels to be shunned.

So, since you asked, no, I don't go to church. Church is a way of keeping people in line. I know how to stay in line, and I resent anybody short of God himself telling me what is appropriate. Church is a Catch-22 for me, one I choose to avoid. If I am to minister to these people, it will have to be done outside the sanctity of their church. As long as they are in their church, I am not going to worry about their soul. Nor am I going to subject myself to their beliefs. Or their practices.

P.S. When I was a child, in my little church dress and white shoes and socks and gloves; when I was enthralled with Jesus, the Good Shepherd, who loved me, one of his sheep; the one with whom I could walk and talk with in the garden while the dew was still on the roses; when I was proud to put my two nickles in the collection basket as it passed; and pleased to stand hand in hand with my grandma in the church pew and listen to her melodic voice lift in songs of praise and all the ladies clucked over me, I liked going to church. When I can find a group of people who can still see me as innocent and precious, I'd be pleased to praise God with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Infrequently however I do when family requests that I attend with them; they appreciate it and I enjoy being around folks who love Jesus and I worship as I always doM

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I do go and I enjoy it. And after reading TUB I began to go more and read the Bible more and find God's truth more all around me. I invited people going door to door sharing the Gospel more. I go to other's churches more. I’m more a spiritual part of my congregation.

When I said TUB doesn't take the person out of the denomination it makes the person in the denomination better.

That was from personal awareness and have been verified by other TUB members I've since met regardless of the denomination they are in.

I have no more fear or dread in going to Church only the spiritual joy of communing with my brothers and sisters in their and my worship of God.

I have received much guidance during the ritual of Communion as it is a time when I reach a meditative state where I feel a contact with God. Not always the same. Some times definitely much stronger than others.

But I go to rededicate myself to my spiritual living and I do feel I have received guidance while there.

Of course I can do this anywhere BUT I'm accustomed to doing it there and have since reading TUB become more accustomed to doing it anywhere.

But all my spiritual contacts with human religion and religionists have dynamically increased with the impact of TUB on me. And I like it!!! :-)

God's Love Be with you all here who have lifted me up on eagles wings! :-)

I didn't go to church yesterday. I was to tired. My 21 year old threw a big party at our house. Family in the day and her friends at night. Karaoke, DJ lots of food. It was the biggest party we've ever had there.

She did an excellent job of organizing, inviting, coordinating, getting support from her family. I kicked back and watched her lead. Her 21st birthday will be a memorable one in deed. :-) Paradise Pilgrim was there. He's Rotatilling in the back yard today. (Hottest day of the year so far.) I told him after the party he could rototill because we needed it for a parking lot the day before.

God Bless you all my friends. May God's Spirit be the Love in your hearts. :smile:

Last edited by Joer on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I attend a Catholic church every Sunday. Not out of habit; I stopped going for 4 years after finding the Urantia Book. A friend brought me to the church, and I have been going for about 8 months. Truth be told, I go because I feel closer to God there. Two years ago I think i would have taken everything the priest said and compare it to the Urantia Book. Nowadays I sort out the truth that the service is about that particular day. I'm thankful that the church is not so bent on doctrine that it detracts from Jesus' message: Loving God and serving your brothers and sisters here on earth.

Also, I'm more than a little suspicious that one particular Jamaican priest is a reader of the FER as well. So much of what he says when he visits is filled with the message of the Urantia Papers that it makes me wonder. While I do not take communion, I usually take the blessing and return to my pew and pray.

While I do not consider myself to be a devout Catholic, I feel love there. I feel like we aren't just coming together to ask God to forgive us for what we did wrong throughout the week. I see all those present as brothers and sisters that, though divided in mere theological beliefs, are united in the intent to do the will of the Father as we understand it, and show forth the love which Jesus has for each of us. It gives me time to worship in a place of beauty that is filled with brotherly love and trust in the knowledge of sonship. It's a recharge for my spiritual batteries.

With love,
~Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I go to Church primarily because my wife is a traditional Christian, she wants to raise the children in church. We go to a small Presbyterian church in the country, the spirit there is wonderful, the parishioners have a goodness about them. They seem to get along better then UB readers do.

When I go to the formal church service, I extrapolate the positives and let the factual inaccuracies roll off like water on a duck (recalling that all of our concept frames are basically erroneous). I recall how one can be wrong as to fact but right as to truth or right as to fact and wrong as to truth. Michael is still there in the church, he's still "fostering" as he promised and the UB teaches.

I also find church to be a place of "worshipful communion", a concept taught in the UB. But, so is a good 12 step meeting.

"That religionists have believed so much that was false does not invalidate religion because religion is founded on the recognition of values and is validated by the faith of personal religious experience. Religion, then, is based on experience and religious thought; theology, the philosophy of religion, is an honest attempt to interpret that experience. Such interpretative beliefs may be right or wrong, or a mixture of truth and error.

The realization of the recognition of spiritual values is an experience which is superideational. There is no word in any human language which can be employed to designate this "sense," "feeling," "intuition," or "experience" which we have elected to call God-consciousness. The spirit of God that dwells in man is not personal--the Adjuster is prepersonal--but this Monitor presents a value, exudes a flavor of divinity, which is personal in the highest and infinite sense. If God were not at least personal, he could not be conscious, and if not conscious, then would he be infrahuman."

Colter

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I used to go to church with my sisters, and sometimes even my son and daughter-in-law...he is a "converted" Catholic owing to his wife's wishes to be married in the Church.

I was raised in the Catholic church, but left it in my twenties. But since finding TUB, I decided to go when I could, with my family, in order to try and achieve spiritual unity. I just could not bear to avoid communion, but found that my family were less than accepting of my doing that, being that I was "lapsed." I tried to explain to them that I didn't see it as they did, and I knew that Jesus would never turn me away, but they thought I was committing a mortal sin, so these days, I don't go anymore. It seemed silly to me to go to Mass and not partake in the Communion service, but that is a big no-no if you are a "sinner," as defined by dogma.

My son and his wife have sort of fallen away from the church, too - not by my doing, but they just don't go...my son is a UB reader and maybe that has something to do with his falling away from the church.

Many years ago, when I was first re-born of the Spirit, I used to go to the Cathedral here in Denver, and I would just sit and cry with happiness, or go to early Mass, and receive communion, and I felt some of the comfort that I used to feel as a child in church. But going with other Catholics who know you is like opening a can of worms, as they know my disaffection with the dogma.

As a former Catholic, that service has a strong draw for me, but I just don't feel I belong there anymore...I think it is a pity.

Some other time, I'll tell you all about my last experience with going to confession...it was a real interesting event - done at my sister's urging.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thank You Chriss, Colter, Maryjo and All. I feel like this is kind of like Church here to. Where the things I don't get to do in Church like discuss our spirituality and how we will use it to affect future generations. This is probably more exciting and I'm probably more involved in getting guidance here for what I DO OUT THERE. :smile:

Colter those excerpts are so cool. Thank you my Cool Brother! :wink: I know someone I'm going to share them with right now.

God Bless and Thank You ALL for the Love you share with me here. My brethren, my brothers and sisters and companions is a journey of a life time and infinitely more. With you I move forward in the Path Our Father has laid before us. O:)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Like the U.B. says i get inspired by being around like minded people and enjoy hearing and learning from many different angles the love and expression of God.

I found a Fellowship call Celebration Circle that is like no other i have ever seen and they are as open minded as is possible. They Celebration The individuals journey towards God...Can't ask for any thing better than that.. :)

I also go to a Buddhist Temple out here and have a growing relation ship with Master Tien there...He is a wise and true example of every thing the U.B. says we can be in our living devotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Like Larry, I checked the NO box because of my infrequent attendance at a church. I was raised a secular Christian meaning on certain holidays I had to dress up and go to church as a mom obligation. We moved around a lot so no church in particular but of the protestant variety. I don't like dressing up, never knew the words to the songs they were singing and was embarrassed when they passed the hat and I didn't have money to pay for my cracker. It was more embarrassing to pass on the cracker though, most of the time, cuz it seemed all eyes were upon me. I've always been repulsed by the blood sacrifice/sinner dogmas.

There were occasions however when "the Spirit moved me" at a church appearance. Never during sermon time. It was in the communion usually when that happened.

Nothing has moved the Spirit within me like my initial readings of TUB. It was like my TA was starving. I couldn't put the book down, even to eat, until I consumed it all.

I've noticed, like Colter, that UB readers don't get along too well. I write that off as intellectual disagreements and/or that pecking order sort of thing. Neither of which appeals to my spirituality.

So... I'm missing the spiritual communion but I'm not comfortable with faux or obligatory membership. There's a UU church in my community but they're old hippies that are more political than spiritual. I do like bluegrass, however.

And I can, on most Sundays, afford to pay a little something for my cracker. I think I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject: Re: Going to church
PostPosted:  

Tramp Swan wrote:
I was just wondering if y'all attend church... why and why not... and what criteria ya used to select a church...

I infrequently attend the Baptist church where my wife works as a teacher and babysitter. One of my sons goes, and they have gotten me to go to his Sunday School to be a "leader" (I keep the first grade boys in line).

I have just started going to my sons SS classes this year. Of course I had to just recently sit through all of the Easter indoctrination, and believe me it can get pretty thick in a Baptist setting. I'm trying to get the nerve to tell them I am a heretic, but I keep thinking about what Gerdean mentioned in her post about shunning. I have no problems with people not respecting me for my beliefs, but I don't want to rock the boat for my kids at this time.

Last Sunday's sermon included a bit about Hell being real. I cringed.