Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:32 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

You know when I first came to Truth Book, I was really excited. I thought, WOW! A bunch of groovy Urantia types, we can have all kinds of fun talking about this awesome book. But in reality, I’m finding that the way I use the Urantia Book to guide my life is really different from what I’m finding here. And that’s a good thing, cause it takes all kinds of people to make a planet, if you know what I mean…

Let me tell you about how I use the Urantia Book. Now some here seem to really get into the meanings inside this incredible book. I mean they read each paragraph carefully, and really soak up the deeper message. It’s like needlework, intricate and delicate.

And I have nothing but respect for those who can do that. But that’s NOT me. For me the Urantia Book, and LIFE in general, are not like needlework. I’m not a real intricate type. I paint with a broad brush. I like to paint outside the lines. Heck, I’d rather throw the whole can of paint at the canvas! So when I blog, because I blog like I paint, like I live… it’s gonna get a little messy around the edges! I’m not exactly the timid type, never was, and the Urantia Book has made me ABSOLUTELY FEARLESS!

So, yeah, I’m like a snowplow coming down the middle at you sometimes, and yes, I crash and burn all the time, but you know what? I LOVE IT! I can’t wait to get back onto that bucking bronco we call life and ride again! For me, the Urantia Book is not like a beautiful cobblestone path, leading me to the Truth inside a beautiful meadow. No, for me, it’s an 8 lane freeway to eternity! It’s wide open baby, and I’m there in the middle of it all, juking and jiving and loving every minute of it. Sometimes I’ll go against traffic just for the fun of it! I’m gonna flog every last bit of experience out of this short life, and when it’s over, I’ll trust to my Adjuster to sort out what was worthwhile and tell me what “circle” I ended up on.

Life is the big adventure. Life is the big ride. Hang on! Cause it can get a little crazy at the corners. But that’s the beauty of it for me. The Urantia Book is my guide on this wild ride we call life. And I don’t really care if I get it all right, every time. When I post something, it’s not important to me to make sure I got the wording just like it says in old “Big Blue”. I figure God knows what I’m talking about, and that’s enough for me. And now, I trust that you all, knowing now what you know about me, will shrug your shoulders and mumble something about “there goes that crazy Al again” and not feel compelled to correct and guide me every time I step out of bounds. Cause you know what? I LIVE OUT OF BOUNDS!

Peace.
Al

Last edited by alwilliams767 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"There goes that crazy and ABSOLUTELY FEARLESS Al again"

The truth in "old Big Blue" has really set you absolutely free. You have so strong a faith that it allows you to be "self forgetful".

Post subject: Thanks YSMAEL
PostPosted:  

Thanks Ysmael:
Sometimes I wish I was a deeper type, you know the kind who can really commune with the Father, and think about the midwayers and try hard to flush out a seraphim or two. But you know what, I'm not. I've always been a real lighthearted type, a happy camper, and it doesn’t look like I'm gonna change. But I really enjoy my superficiality! Life is just so busy and full of excitement, whether I'm at work, fighting some deadline or doing something with Momma, (she keeps me real busy) or playing/mentoring/hanging with my two boys. There is so much good to experience in this wide old word, I just can’t get enough! The Urantia Book has made me who I am for almost 35 years… I never had any other “religion” in my life, as my parents didn’t do church. I’m just am happy to be here.
Your friend:
Al

PostPosted:  

I haven't even read it all, the TUB. I'm not a reader and really can't sit still long enough and "concentrate", but I have read enough to get a basic idea. Yes I would like to know it thru and thru, but that will never happen because I just was never good at being so disiplined. What I got from it was "confirmation", that what I felt in my heart was true, and that is this. If you are a good person, if you do not intentionly cause another human being harm or pain, you don't have to be perfect, it is not your habits that determine your eternal destiny, it is your heart, and how you deal with "People". There were always so many rules to religions; You MUST believe this or you go to hell. I always found that unrealistic for a creater to say you must believe something that, no mater how hard you tried, you just couldn't believe it, you could say you did, but really you were unsure. It was wonderful to get confirmation that you do not have to get an "A" on the test of life to pass. I really don't care if I know the whole book inside and out, I always found really realigious people to be a COMPLETE" turn off to me. Live and enjoy this short life, just don't hurt another human being, if you do and you are truly remouseful, then your heart is still pure. To me it's kinda like I am in the first grade, and if I do really well I can skip to the 3rd grade, maybe if I'm really good I can skip to the 8th grade. I am not in any HURRY to land on paradise, I think each leavel will be a life in inself. That being said, no of us know anything for sure until we are dead, and manbe not even then. I just know that I got as good a chance as anyone else.
Debbie

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Al Wrote:

So when I blog, because I blog like I paint, like I live… it’s gonna get a little messy around the edges! I’m not exactly the timid type, never was, and the Urantia Book has made me ABSOLUTELY FEARLESS!

Which reminded me of today's Quote of the Day:

Unafraid and Uncomplaining

The God-conscious mortal is certain of salvation; he is unafraid of life; he is honest and consistent. He knows how bravely to endure unavoidable suffering; he is uncomplaining when faced by inescapable hardship.

The Urantia Book, Page 1740 (156:5.20)

Which looks to me like what Debbie is discovering, confirming what she's always known in her heart

I think each leavel will be a life in inself. That being said, no of us know anything for sure until we are dead, and manbe not even then. I just know that I got as good a chance as anyone else.

So I have to agree with Ysmael,

"There goes that crazy and ABSOLUTELY FEARLESS Al again"

May God's Peace and Love acompany us all.
:smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The experience of living never fails to develop these three cosmic intuitions; they are constitutive in the self-consciousness of reflective thinking. But it is sad to record that so few persons on Urantia take delight in cultivating these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking. 192:05

But he thought, and thought deeply, as his questions to the scribes and teachers a week later disclosed. p1377:4 125:0.4

His profound periods of meditation, his frequent journeys to the hilltop for prayer, and the many strange ideas which Jesus advanced from time to time, thoroughly alarmed his mother. p1391:3 126:3.13

At the end of this eleventh year Jesus was a vigorous, well-developed, moderately humorous, and fairly lighthearted youth, but from this year on he was more and more given to peculiar seasons of profound meditation and serious contemplation. p1371:3 124:3.10

He meditated deeply on how these Jews had assembled here from the uttermost parts of the known world. p1375:5 124:6.11

And his father well knew from the expression on the lad's face that his answers and attempts at explanation were unsatisfactory to his deep-thinking and keen-reasoning son. p1375:8 124:6.14

He visited very little during the evening, spending much of the time alone in the garden meditating. p1381:3  125:4.1

This year his seasons of deep meditation were often broken into by Ruth and her playmates. p1416:3 128:6.10

But Jesus was sorely perplexed, knowing that they believed in him only because of the unusual occurrence which they had just inadvertently beheld. Again Jesus retired for a season to the housetop that he might think it all over. p1531:3 137:4.16

That night Jesus did not sleep. Donning his evening wraps, he sat out on the lake shore thinking, thinking until the dawn of the next day. In the long hours of that night of meditation Jesus came clearly to comprehend that he never would be able to make his followers see him in any other light than as the long-expected Messiah. p1532:1 137:5.3

At last Jesus spoke: "I desire that you rest today. Take time to think over all that has happened since we came to Jerusalem and meditate on what is just ahead, of which I have plainly told you. Make sure that the truth abides in your lives, and that you daily grow in grace." p1920:1 177:0.1

Jesus then turned toward Peter and asked, "Peter, do you love me?" Peter answered, "Lord, you know I love you with all my soul." Then said Jesus: "If you love me, Peter, feed my lambs. Do not neglect to minister to the weak, the poor, and the young. Preach the gospel without fear or favor; remember always that God is no respecter of persons. Serve your fellow men even as I have served you; forgive your fellow mortals even as I have forgiven you. Let experience teach you the value of meditation and the power of intelligent reflection." p2047:6 192:2.2

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:12 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

When I began to read the 4th chapter on Jesus, I was most impressed by the variety of personalities that Jesus chose to become his apostles. No two were of the same type, deliberately, in order that the strengths and weaknesses of all could be used to balance the whole. These were human beings, evolving, not at all on the level of Christ. None could measure up to be AS Christ...nor were they supposed to be. I believe this is an area where we confuse "acting" like Christ instead allowing Christ to "act" within us. This has been the core of what I have garnered from the UB...to stop trying to be/act/behave in a way that is false, but instead, allow for the possibility that the Spirit of Truth within me will indeed enhance that personality that I am, that is gift...if I allow.

91:7.2 The great religious teachers and the prophets of past ages were not extreme mystics. They were God-knowing men and women who best served their God by unselfish ministry to their fellow mortals. Jesus often took his apostles away by themselves for short periods to engage in meditation and prayer, but for the most part he kept them in service-contact with the multitudes. The soul of man requires spiritual exercise as well as spiritual nourishment.
(laughter=nourishment?)

124:3.9 Later on, Jesus saw the Greek amphitheater at Jerusalem and learned how hateful such things were from the Jewish point of view. Nevertheless, throughout his life he endeavored to introduce the idea of wholesome recreation into his personal plans and, as far as Jewish practice would permit, into the later program of regular activities for his twelve apostles.

134:7.3 At Antioch the Son of Man lived for over two months, working, observing, studying, visiting, ministering, and all the while learning how man lives, how he thinks, feels, and reacts to the environment of human existence.
(did he "learn" the need for spontaneity?)

It will take me long into eternity to "learn" how to lighten up and trust that I am exactly as I am supposed to be in any given moment, and to just be in that moment instead of analyzing what I should do. I tend to get stuck in seriousness and am regularly reminded that this mindset stifles that Spirit within me, that part of God that encourages me to "let go", to trust that it is really ok to be that human being that Jesus came to learn about, that tells me we will grow into being a fuller part of God...and to stop worrying about the right and wrong. If my motives are based in love, God will work out the details and ultimately guide my actions (and even allow for the excess of my ego in order for me to learn).

It's all about balance (there is another thread going on about that). Life experiences are teaching me that when I trust in the presence of God, I open to others more, learn more, laugh more, hurt more...and feel more fully alive. There is a need for my quiet times, time to reflect and/or meditate, time to worship and give thanks. But my actual learning/living moments seem to only come when I'm engaged in life...all kinds of life with other human beings who are being just that, human beings.

At my core, I'm a chicken and lean towards maudlin, so Christ seems to continually entice me into levity. (I would imagine that would be the opposite for someone who leans toward levity...and all the multitude excesses in between). This is probably why I'm drawn to people who have the ability to walk through life's struggles and come out the other side with a sense of joy, with their laughter not only intact but richer with deep down fullness. They are the ones who teach me to laugh at myself, to not take myself so serious.
I have one dear friend who, by just being herself, teaches me how high one can soar regardless of the pain one has endured. She is the model of a soul who has grown to trust Christ as an intimate partner while "they" step out into life, even when life appears to be falling apart.

Al and Debbie, you are a welcome addition. I need to see/hear/witness others' spontaneity in life. I also needed the reminder that it isn't so much what we read in the UB that is important, but how we live our lives...uniquely individual so that God can be all God can be, through us and with us. Whether we are aware of the guidance or not, we are all being called forward.

Peace
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

He could concentrate his deep-thinking mind on the one problem which he wished to solve, and this, in connection with his untiring patience, enabled him serenely to endure the trials of a difficult mortal existence—to live as if he were "seeing Him who is invisible." p1400:7 127:3.15

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:14 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Sorry, Iris...guess I was off topic. Really wasn't referring to any examination of conscience, especially not to Christ needing to examine his (I must have missed that post).

Was mainly directing my response to the infinite variety of our personality reactions to life, how each of us brings (into this pot) all they possess...which adds to the fullness of God.

Like the addition of Al and Debbie to this forum....I enjoy their individual ability to just "dive in" :wink: !

Peace and Good Sunday
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p483:9 42:12.2 Mind is always creative. The mind endowment of an individual animal, mortal, morontian, spirit ascender, or finality attainer is always competent to produce a suitable and serviceable body for the living creature identity. But the presence phenomenon of a personality or the pattern of an identity, as such, is not a manifestation of energy, either physical, mindal, or spiritual. The personality form is the pattern aspect of a living being; it connotes the arrangement of energies, and this, plus life and motion, is the mechanism of creature existence.

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:18 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Iris, maybe we're both confused as to what the other is talking about.

I'm not at all sure what process of mine you were labeling but...

For me to learn to relax and know that God is truly in charge, and will guide me to where I need to be in the next moment, frees me up.

When I read posts such as Al and Debbie's, I'm reassured that there are many who have learned this lesson at a much younger age, and this gives me even more hope for future generations!

Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p578:6 50:7.1 On first thought it might appear that Urantia and its associated isolated worlds are most unfortunate in being deprived of the beneficent presence and influence of such superhuman personalities as a Planetary Prince and a Material Son and Daughter. But isolation of these spheres affords their races a unique opportunity for the exercise of faith and for the development of a peculiar quality of confidence in cosmic reliability which is not dependent on sight or any other material consideration. It may turn out, eventually, that mortal creatures hailing from the worlds quarantined in consequence of rebellion are extremely fortunate. We have discovered that such ascenders are very early intrusted with numerous special assignments to cosmic undertakings where unquestioned faith and sublime confidence are essential to achievement.

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:20 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi...I am...what's the word? Oh yeah, methodical. That's why I have been able to read the UB for 30yrs :P I am trying to be more spontaneous or to read a fiction book...I think the last one I read was the "Hobbit" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I LOVE THE HOBBIT! In fact I always loved the Entire Lord of the Rings! Once, I sat down and engulfed the whole series in about 48 hours (for the umpteenth time). I think it was my almost exclusive fantasy and Science Fiction reading, which made me so susceptible to the teachings of the Urantia Book.

I agree with Iris, there is a place for deep thought in all of our lives. I personally like thinking about our society and also about the Master. The life of Jesus, as depicted in part four of the Book is an inspiration to me. The way my mind seems to work best is to seize upon one idea or phrase in the book, and then spend some time contemplating it, seeing how it works into my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi...I read the Hobbit just before I "found" the Urantia Book. Maybe were on to something...That's funny :smile: Maybe that will be my opening question before I introduce someone to the book... :wink: