Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:03 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I'm tryintg to read this book, little by little. But I think, like in highschool, when I was suppose to read a book I would buy the synopsis and try to pass. That is probably what I am still tryting to do by pickingt the brains of those who have read it, sorry, I am who I am. BUT, my question is to those of you who have read it is, do you really have to live a "God like life" in order to go to the next level when you die. I, by nature treat people well, maybe better than I treat myself. I am not a religious person and I'm sure I do my share of cussing, gossip, mostly it is done for the humer of it all. But when it come down to how I treat poeple, I have campasion. But don't really go the extra mile. I take care of my own. Do you really have to go out and take care of the world to secure the fact that you will not "sleep" for a thousand years before you go to the next level? I really wish it was simple, live a good life, do not cause another human pain and, there you go. But this " live a God like life", gees, I'm not sure I"m really doing that, don't really think I have any plans to do so. Again, yes I will eventually read the book, but my own instincts tell me that I'm OK, but, OK may not be enought to allow you to advance, I really don't want ot "sleep" for a thousand years.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Perhaps part of the problem you've expressed is the same one we all confront when we first come into contact with a new revelation of truth -- we attempt to conform what it teaches with our preconceptions. The purpose of the revelation is to provide a new set of values that alter our preconceptions and gives a new direction in our thinking and our actions.

You'll not find a commandment in TUB to "life a God-like life" nor will you find one to "be a good person." The just "be a good person" concept in fact is now the calling card for atheists -- they're proclaiming you don't need any higher relationship in this world other than to be a good person. To me that seems a pretty empty philosophy of life -- better than the reverse of course, but totally devoid of any recognition to the spiritual underpinnings of reality.

A synopsis of The Urantia Book will acquaint you with the facts of the book. But TUB is not just a fact book, it's a revelation of truth. It's big, it's complicated, the language is a challenge -- it's written that way because that's how a revelation in book form is passed on to you, the reader -- it's written with you as its focus. If you'd like a Reader's Digest version of The Urantia Book then read The Story of Everything by Michelle Klimesh. She's done an excellent job of condensing TUB into a smaller package but in the process of course has destroyed its revelatory nature; as an interesting book though hers does well. But, if your true desire is to know truth in a way it's never been presented before, to have a new and truly inspiring understanding of the world and your place in it then you have to go to the source, which was written with you in mind.

As has been recounted before -- TUB claims to be the fifth epochal revelation of truth to the world. The fourth epochal revelation was the person of Jesus, an understanding of his life and how he lived it and what he taught. As the fifth epochal revelation then TUB is equivalent in the truth it presents to sitting and talking with Jesus. Any synopsis of TUB in any form is similar to talking with friends and acquaintances about Jesus and what they think of him -- wouldn't it be better to sit at his feet and hear him talk to you personally even though doing so not necessariyl easy? Reading TUB may be the most difficult undertaking of one's life, but it's worth the effort.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

You're going to make it Debbie! I have no doubt that you will be there.

It's really a common question. Will I be one or the survivors? We heard so much about punishment and hell Fire and Brimstone for so long the message Jesus gave us of How much we are Loved is just now (after 2000 years) beginning to sink into the collective consciousness of humanity.

I ran across this today.

P.39 - §3 God is divinely kind to sinners. When rebels return to righteousness, they are mercifully received, "for our God will abundantly pardon." "I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins." "Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us that we should be called the sons [and daughters] of God." :o

Your safe sweetheart.

:smile:
Here's a link again to some questions and TUB answers about what happens to us before and after the death.
Eternal Survival
http://tags.wetpaint.com/page/Eternal+Survival

Last edited by Joer on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:52 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Be a good person! That to me seems to be the whole use of a human being, other than acknowledging that ther is a higher being. I acknowledge that there is a higher being. But in my gut, I feel that what he wants from us comes down to how we treat the other humans that we are here with. Athiest, where did you come up with that. I think even an athiest could advance if they were a good person.

Post subject: Hi Joer
PostPosted:  

I see your post here and there.
My reading is not coming along, my interest is. Glad to hear you say I will be OK.

Post subject: Re: Hi Joer
PostPosted:  

dkr315d wrote:
I see your post here and there.
My reading is not coming along, my interest is. Glad to hear you say I will be OK.

Here's that link Debbie. see what you think about it's contents. You're a winner for sure. I have no doubt. Remember what Jesus said. "Fear Not" "I will be with you always."

I thought you may find some solace for your friend whose's sister has cancer in some of the thoughts contained within the TUB excerpts related to death and survival at this link.

Eternal Survival
http://tags.wetpaint.com/page/Eternal+Survival

Peace be with you my sister Debbie. And may the fire of desire to know burn hot within you driving you to find answers for yourself and others. You ARE living a God led (Spirit-led) life as evidenced by the desire "to know more " you that is pushing you forward. :smile: God bless You! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Debbie you wrote:
Quote:
But in my gut, I feel that what he wants from us comes down to how we treat the other humans that we are here with. Athiest, where did you come up with that. I think even an athiest could advance if they were a good person.

Here's post to an athiest I made this morning. God's Good News is for ALL!
joer wrote:
Joey wrote:

Quote:
Well said Joer, I think I overstated my case. To clarify, and see where I was wrong, I am on record herein as saying the message of Jesus is a good message, and it is worthy of study. I guess then I don't reject all of the Bible because I accept the message of being good to folks. You're a good guy Joer, I hope the best for you and yours.

Thank You Joey. You are a class guy! There are so many GOOD folks here, it's a joy to come and visit.

And I many "see" not trying to say the Bible is the ultimate source of all GOOD. BUT just as there is truth from many sources ALL AROUND us and from many sources within our lives. There are some in the Bible also that ARE worth embracing.

Good Will to you again joey and all here. have a good day. :D

Evidence to support the Christian Bible. HERE

PostPosted:  

The athiest post came from Larry not you. Maybe you replied to Larrys post put my disagareement was with Larry, not you. You seem to be the kind of person no one could have a problem with.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Debbie :smile:

Happened to log in last night for the first time in two weeks or so ... and had to catch a glimpse of what is going on at my favourite web-forum.

I've read with interest the latest posts (amongst others, Your's.)

I am "edified" by it all.

Your posts struck some cord/s within me ...

I don't want to re-invent the wheel ... so, our sister, have you taken time out to check all the refrences you were amply given by our fellow sisters and brothers? Yet?

You seem to be obsessed with death and dying at this point in time.

You don't want to sit down with the Book as yet.

You want a quick fix.

Nothing wrong with a "quick fix" as such. But do be courteous and refer for your personal enlightening to the references your fellow Readers lovingly refer you to.

Don't worry about reading TUB from zero and then from A to Z at present. Just follow UP the references given to you lovingly and painstakingly by Your fellow Truthbookers, for now.

Worry about reading the tome some other time. Just do Yourself the favour and FOLLOW UP on the references provided :smile:

I and others on this forum allready gleaned that you've got the gist of what the Revelators were trying to disemminate to us not so long ago.

Do You just want to EAT a fish just for now? ... or being taught how to CATCH fish? ... ever afterwards ... and live to tell the tale :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p1001:8 91:8.4 To some individuals prayer is the calm expression of gratitude; to others, a group expression of praise, social devotions; sometimes it is the imitation of another's religion, while in true praying it is the sincere and trusting communication of the spiritual nature of the creature with the anywhere presence of the spirit of the Creator.

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:38 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Debbie, you take me back to my pre-UB days, when I was trying to establish “the rules of engagement” with God would be. I came up with this as a core requirement: That it could not matter if we were brilliant or not. We had to be seen as spiritual equals by God, and that from our end, we all had equal access to God.
I was so delighted to find the UB, because it clarified and reinforced this basic tenant. As Children of God, created by Him on purpose, we are all equally loved by Him, and equally valued by Him. In creating us, God created the possibility for personal growth, in which he could partner with us, sharing all our sorrows and all our joys. It is our “imperfection” that allows us to give something back to our Creator. And so, the diversity we see is the necessary canvas upon which life plays out its infinite scenarios of good and evil, of joy and pain. Without our uniqueness, we,(and God) would be limited to one growth path of experience! The one commonality we do share, is our desire to know the truth. And, as we each, in our own unique way seek “The Truth”, we are defining our unique paths back to our Source.
It is a good system. It is ultimately fair. We employ our free will in choosing our course. We are not robots, with a pre-programmed map. It is only with great effort and longing to find God, that we can feel the child like joy of returning home to our waiting parent.
Your path is yours. You do not need the UB or any other external guide to succeed in your quest. God is already there, “closer than your breath”, waiting to assist in your mutual adventure of becoming perfect, even as He is perfect.

Bro Dave

P.S. Reading the UB can still be most reassuring; Rather like discovering a compass while you are lost in the woods. :mrgreen:

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Deb:
You know, I sometimes fret about “lying up” for an extended period of time too. I totally understand your impatience… I mean hanging out for a THOUSAND YEARS??? But, I mostly figure it like this… I mean if I lay up 3 days or 30 thousand years, its really not much difference. Why? Eternity, that’s why. I mean, what’s 30 thousand years in comparison to an eternity of adventure, growth and universe service? A blink of an eye, that’s what! And it’s not like you are going to be sweating, or having nightmares. It’s lights out, peace and quiet; a good rest. There is no communication between a sleeping survivor and the rest of the universe, (this includes Madame Voodoo, seers and “Ghost Hunters” and users of the Oija Board), during this well deserved period of rest. It’s complete unconsciousness. So when you wake up, 3 days or 300 years later, it’s like no time has passed at all! And for all your Urantia buddies: the ones who actually only sleep 3 days? Well, they’ll be just a step or two ahead on the eternal ladder to perfection.

On the topic of your friend, the one with the sister with cancer… I really feel for you. I know only too well what it feels like to lose everyone who is close to you. Until I got married, I had no one; they were all taken from me long ago. So hang in there, and be there for your friend. In the long run, the love you show her will really help her along. There is a phrase in the Uranita Book, and it goes something like this…
“The Universe is often better comprehended from the depths of despair, than from the heights of ecstasy”. That’s not exactly it, but you get the general idea. In order to really appreciate the balancing act of life, you need both those heady days of happiness and, sadly, those dark hours of depression.

Your friend: O:)
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Yes Larry it does make a difference, at leat to me. That is thousands of years that I was not of service to my Father, WHY, I don't want to wait a thousand years to be of service. It may not matter to you, but it does to me, that is why I ask what would make the difference between advancing after death and waiting for a very long tiime. If you don't go to the next level immediately, then you did not learn the lessons of life that you should have. I am trying to learn them, and I DO NOT WANT to W A I T to be of service. In an earlier post I read you were ready for the next life, does it not matter to you if you sleep for a thousand years before you live again? Why would anyone be in a hurry to sleep for a thousand years????

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"On Urantia the establishment of this "new and living way" was a matter of fact as well as of truth. The isolation of Urantia in the Lucifer rebellion had suspended the procedure whereby mortals can pass, upon death, directly to the shores of the mansion worlds. Before the days of Christ Michael on Urantia all souls slept on until the dispensational or special millennial resurrections. Even Moses was not permitted to go over to the other side until the occasion of a special resurrection, the fallen Planetary Prince, Caligastia, contesting such a deliverance. But ever since the day of Pentecost, Urantia mortals again may proceed directly to the morontia spheres." p596:3 52:5.5

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:40 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gosh Debbie! :smile: Your very much Loved on this site! :smile:

Here's another link to that site on Survival! This one has Bible exceprts of similar content.

God’s Love, Grace and Mercy allow all of us a chance to Survive.

HERE

I've found that many times folks aren't ready for TUB stuff. Especially the name. So I share the truth with them without the Name of the Book where it came from. It's not important for them. What's important for them is knowing God is their Father and Loves them as His Children! As such we are all brothers and sisters in God.

Bless You Debbie and all here for teh Love of God they share with you and each other.

I'm blessed by you and them too. I don't always tell them how much I love them but If I tell you how much your Loved and I'm loved by God they know their Loved too!