Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:42 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
The world is very badly broken NOW

"The world is filled with hungry souls who famish in the very presence of the bread of life; men die searching for the very God who lives within them. Men seek for the treasures of the kingdom with yearning hearts and weary feet when they are all within the immediate grasp of living faith. Faith is to religion what sails are to a ship; it is an addition of power, not an added burden of life. There is but one struggle for those who enter the kingdom, and that is to fight the good fight of faith. The believer has only one battle, and that is against doubt--unbelief." 1766:04

"The indwelling Thought Adjuster unfailingly arouses in man's soul a true and searching hunger for perfection together with a far-reaching curiosity which can be adequately satisfied only by communion with God, the divine source of that Adjuster. The hungry soul of man refuses to be satisfied with anything less than the personal realization of the living God. Whatever more God may be than a high and perfect moral personality, he cannot, in our hungry and finite concept, be anything less." 1119:05

"And so did the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth bring to the world and its peoples the last of the spirit endowment designed to aid in the ascending search for God." 2062:09

iris

Last edited by Bonita on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:52 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I am one of the Old Guard of the Urantia movement. I was introduced to the book under the auspices of the one-on-one theory. There was logic to it and I bought into it and it still has a strong influence over me today.

While I do not believe in magic, I do believe that God knows what He is doing. The merciful ministry of the cosmos that delivered that Book to us will know how to disseminate it such that it is effectively amalgamated into Urantia's consciousness. The midwayers are not asleep on the job, nor are the angels of enlightenment. And to the extent we work with our heavenly helpers, the word is spread. Maybe not the literal words of the UB, but the Word of God and that is the point. Once their appetites are whetted, their Adjusters will instill a yearning for spiritual food, and that is when the UB will arrive on their doorstep (figuratively speaking, of course).

It is because of the restrictions on advertising that caused me to become creative in my proselytizing. My 500 page novel (written between 1971 and 1991, before the copyright was lost) is filled with Urantia concepts but not one word is mentioned about Jesus or the Supreme or even Deity. It is not a spiritual book at all, in fact, but it plants spiritual seeds and Urantia Book philosophies from cover to cover.

There are many other ways in which the Urantia revelation is being brought to the attention of truth seekers, but I will not dwell on those techniques. The Urantia revelation is not a fad, not a craze, not a quick fix. From personal experience I know that when religious ideas overwhelm a people, or when they are force fed religion, chances are they will revolt against that force-feeding, and dig in their heels. So the slower, less rambunctious approach is still my preferred tactic in the dissemination of the Urantia Papers.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Iris,

Hon I couldn't get past your first paragraph sorry.

Yes it's the people who are broken and not the physical world. You're mincing words.

You say the UB will not fix the world.

I say yes it will. It is the knowledge of truth and God's purposes that will fix the world. That information is in the UB.

Hi Gerdean and thanks for your imput.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Van,

Well sweetie, I just have to say that if I had several hundred thousand dollars to spare, rather than advertising in newspapers, I would prefer to spend it on relieving poverty, building schools or some other worthwhile venture. To each his own.

Hon

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Vann,

I share your desire to see the truths of the Urantia Book delivered to the hungry souls of the masses. I was introduced to the Urantia Book by one-on-one study, and I think that for me it was the method that solidified my acceptance. Most of it was due to the human contact, but also whenever I had questions I could ask someone who had been studying the book since before I was born. Okay, lets assume we raised awareness about the book. We put an ad in a major newspaper, and how many people see it? Thousands? Millions? Many people will probably accept the book, but maybe only a fraction of that amount would stick with it. Remember when Jesus fed the 5,000 and they desired to make Him king? When he did not meet their expectations the vast majority rejected him. The Urantia Book tells the truth: plain and simple. But many, many people are either not ready for it or don't want to hear it. If they read the Urantia Book and accept it's teachings, but for some reason it does not meet their expectations, they will reject it and the cause shall gain enemies. If there were a large number of Urantia Book readers, there would be controversy (which may be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint).
We could probably have a million believers in America, but worldwide we would have problems. Places like the Middle East which are filled with religious fundamentalists would not even consider the Book. Those that do would be scorned, persecuted, or possibly even killed. There are already websites on the net saying the Urantia book is false, an affront to God, and Satan’s greatest deception. Imagine having that on TV!
Personally, I’m in favor of slow growth so their will gradually grow up a relatively small yet strong following. In time, the whole world will embrace the Urantia Book’s teahings of the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of Man, but it will take long periods of time. People will be tired of the pointless wars, killing in the name of God, prejudice, and inequality. But that time is not here yet. If there was to be a massive advertising program to get the message across, I believe it should come in the form of a spiritual teacher. This teacher (or teachers) should not just advertise the Book, but the truths within it. That actually might be an interesting thread to follow…..Well, that’s my 2 cents and now I’m broke!
With love,
~Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hello Chriss,

Always good to have you around.

Yes I hear you and you make the same points that others have. It is true that many or even most of the world's people are not ready for it. There are millions who don't even believe in God at all.

I am interest in seeing the what the UB calls "millions of hugry souls searching for truth" be served. Right now, they are not being served and there are not enough workers in the field to do the work.

Saying that there will be enough one hypothetical day may not be enough. How many serious problems must persist and for how long?

Problems come and problems go. Some problems are more serious than others. The biggest and realest problem is people dying. Real death. The spiritual death of the soul. It is a fact that faithless people die. Jesus came to help correct the problems of past administrations, and to save the lost. The truth in the UB can go far to save souls.

There will for a long time be enemies of religion and God and the UB. We can't help that. We are not responsible for that situation. All we can do is to try and help make things better through the loving services of our fellows.

So let me ask you Chriss, how many persons have attempted to share the UB with in the last 5-10 years? Of those, how many times do you know or think you were successful?

How many UB readers make no effort to share with others at all?

The present process is TOO slow, again, an opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Vann,

I can't say for sure how many people I've told the Urantia Book about in 5-10 years. On occasion I spend time in the Christian chatroom on AOL and give spiritual advice, and sometimes I talk about the book. My profile has links to 3 UB related websites. In all, I'd say at least 100 have heard me talk about it. Then there's my real life. I discuss religion with my friends when the mood strikes, and I tell about my beliefs. But how many people have I given advice to based on my reading of the Urantia Book? It's hard to say. Definitely more than I've personally talked to about the Book. I know that at least two people have picked up the book since our encounter. The others I do not know about.

Now, I am lead to ask do you have an idea of how to spread the message? A real plan? Talk is great, but action is a whole lot better. If you do I'd like you to discuss it. And one more thing. Do you believe this is the Father's will, or could it just be a zealousness to spread the message?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Vann said:
Quote:
The present process is TOO slow, again, an opinion.

"Impatience is a spirit poison" 557:04

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:28 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Chriss,

I have no personal plans to spread the message at this time. Didn't say I did. Didn't say I was going to lead any effort. This is a discussion about the situation. My suggestion to spread the message is through print media advertising. Like announcement-ads in major newspapers. I mentioned this in earlier posts.

Do I think this is the Father's will?

The UB teaches us that God does not control everything we do nor how we should do it. We are free will creatures and have to live our own lives and solve our own problems. This situation appears (to me) to be a problem. I care about helping to solve it....doing my part. I'm just one person with few resources other than my will and wits, thanks.

Hey Iris,

I am always seeking out with whom I think I can safely share the book. Some are close associates, co-workers. Other times there are random meetings with people....as I pass by.

I could not disagree with you more when you say that death is hard-wired into our program. We would not be in this situation at all if it were not for the Lucifer Rebellion. That calamity we were wholly un-involved in, yet we are forced to suffer the consequences. Yet we are given the tools to improve our condition while the quarantine remains in effect. I am only seeking to use these tools to our greatest advantage. Just the strivings of one person seeking to help my neighbors, my fellows.

No one has convinced me that advertising the book to reach many "new" people more quickly will do any harm at all. Those who will be uninterested in these teachings will remain uninterested no matter what happens. Their problem - their freedom to choose and think. I desire to assist the persons who would be interested...if they only knew these marvelous teachings existed.

Not impatience Iris, actions to serve.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Vann

First of all, I don't remember saying anything about God doing anything "magically". I don't think God does or would use "magic" to do any of His creative or volitional acts.

What I did say was (in other words) what Iris said (and I agree with her wholeheartedly):

Quote:
IRIS
Our purpose is to spread the Gospel, not the Book. The Book is secondary, a follow-up to the Gospel. I think TUB is for inquiring minds who have accepted the Gospel and want to know more.

So, who would you advertise to that would take it seriously and not consider it the work of the devil, a whacko alien hunter or a charlatan clairvoyant? Just as in medicine and law, the advertisement of spirituality seems to cheapen and delegitimize it

Vann:

Quote:
It seems you have changed your mind recently KP. On another thread you spoke favorably of a more immediate and widespread introduction of the book to the masses. That is fine if you've changed your mind.

Also, yes I did say I was in favor of the UB being introduced to the masses, (can't find my original post) though not through advertising, but in reality I agree with the reason Iris gives as why it would not "work", and with Gerdean as to the fact that God knows what He is doing, and that He knows HOW to do it (which is what I meant in my post).

Gerdean:

Quote:
While I do not believe in magic, I do believe that God knows what He is doing. The merciful ministry of the cosmos that delivered that Book to us will know how to disseminate it such that it is effectively amalgamated into Urantia's consciousness. The midwayers are not asleep on the job, nor are the angels of enlightenment. And to the extent we work with our heavenly helpers, the word is spread. Maybe not the literal words of the UB, but the Word of God and that is the point. Once their appetites are whetted, their Adjusters will instill a yearning for spiritual food, and that is when the UB will arrive on their doorstep (figuratively speaking, of course).

Excellent way to put it Gerdean... thanks!

Vann:

Quote:
The truth in the UB can go far to save souls.

Without sounding like I am being "sacriUrantiaBook", souls would be saved and have been being saved without and before the UB ever arrived on planet Earth! Even if we never had one written sacred book in all the history of mankind, the truth would have been spread and souls would be saved... God is capable of disseminating truth without a book...
Christianity wasn't spread with a book... "by these fruits shall they know you are my disciples".. by LIVING the truth others will see the truth and desire that truth...

Vann quoted Iris:

Quote:
You say the UB will not fix the world.
I say yes it will. It is the knowledge of truth and God's purposes that will fix the world. That information is in the UB.

Vann, Vann... how long has the Bible been around and so much truth in it; how long has the Quran, and other sacred writings full of truth been around and the world is not "fixed"... granted, the truth is what will set us free, but it is our LIVING the Truth, the Way and the Life, that will change the world, not the knowledge of that truth. You can have all the knowledge of truth in the world and still not act on it, still not Live that truth...

So.... though it would be nice if the UB were in the hands of more people, more truth seeking people, we the truth seekers need to assimulate the truth found in the Book far more than we need, at this point, to disseminate it to the rest of the world, who may or may not be ready for it. One-on-one seems to be the better way.

To re-emphasize:

Quote:
"And so did the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth bring to the world and its peoples the last of the spirit endowment designed to aid in the ascending search for God." 2062:09

our Thought Adjuster.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Vann wrote:
Quote:
We would not be in this situation at all if it were not for the Lucifer Rebellion. That calamity we were wholly un-involved in, yet we are forced to suffer the consequences.

"The Urantia peoples are suffering the consequences of a double deprivation of help in this task of progressive planetary spiritual attainment. The Caligastia upheaval precipitated world-wide confusion and robbed all subsequent generations of the moral assistance which a well-ordered society would have provided. But even more disastrous was the Adamic default in that it deprived the races of that superior type of physical nature which would have been more consonant with spiritual aspirations.

"Urantia mortals are compelled to undergo such marked struggling between the spirit and the flesh because their remote ancestors were not more fully Adamized by the Edenic bestowal. It was the divine plan that the mortal races of Urantia should have had physical natures more naturally spirit responsive.

"Notwithstanding this double disaster to man's nature and his environment, present-day mortals would experience less of this apparent warfare between the flesh and the spirit if they would enter the spirit kingdom, wherein the faith sons of God enjoy comparative deliverance from the slave-bondage of the flesh in the enlightened and liberating service of wholehearted devotion to doing the will of the Father in heaven. Jesus showed mankind the new way of mortal living whereby human beings may very largely escape the dire consequences of the Caligastic rebellion and most effectively compensate for the deprivations resulting from the Adamic default. "The spirit of the life of Christ Jesus". 382:04-06

iris

Last edited by Bonita on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:54 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Kreneep,

Keep reading the book all the way through for the first time my friend. I've read it all more than ten times. I know what's in it and have had more than two decades to think about things. Keep learning.

Iris,

This is only a discussion. All I can advise is that you read what has already been posted. Me...I'm trying to accomplish something beneficial for our planet. "I'll (you) watch" Uh huh. That speaks volumes.

Thanks all,

Vann

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Vann, I'm not asking for advice. I thought you were. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

iris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

For some reason I get the feeling that this is how most religious groups split into sects. Maybe we should all take a breather.

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it as true." ~Aristotle

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks for the tip Chriss,

I don't need a breather. I am not worked up. This is the way I've felt about outreaching the UB to the world since the first week I got the book over 20 years ago.

I was scratching my head about the lack of publicity then and I still am today.

Thanks bud

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next