Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:14 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi everyone,

Oh I agree this has become a very interesting dialog and it is a very good thing to view the perspective of a new reader who comes from a different religious and philosophical background than most of us here. That is point of the revelation....to reach everyone. Dissemination at its finest.

But we have veered off of the topic of the original post to start this thread and it has become "Abdullah's personal journey with The Urantia Book". Which again is AWESOME and facinating. Many persons have written whole books about this very thing.

There is a Question and Answer Forum here on the site. Perhaps Mr. Abdullah would like to start posing his different and ongoing questions in the Q & A forum. Each different question could be a different thread. This might likely provide for more organized thoughts on differing subjects rather than trying to maintain one large thread containing a jumble of differing ideas. Very long threads are like very long individual posts. Few persons really want to read them.

Just a thought

Thanks everyone

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"I have come into the world to proclaim spiritual liberty to the end that mortals may be empowered to live individual lives of originality and freedom before God. I do not desire that social harmony and fraternal peace shall be purchased by the sacrifice of free personality and spiritual originality." (1591:06)

"Each of the apostolic teachers taught his own view of the gospel of the kingdom. They made no effort to teach just alike; there was no standardized or dogmatic formulation of theologic doctrines. Though they all taught the same truth, each apostle presented his own personal interpretation of the Master's teaching. And Jesus upheld this presentation of the diversity of personal experience in the things of the kingdom" 1658:01

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:04 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hello Iris,

Thank you for opinion which is respected. I didn't suggest anything that constituted any limit as you suggested.

I only offered a suggestion that ongoing different questions about what one is reading in the book might more appropriately be made in the Question and Answer forum.

And it is somewhat disrespectful, as the staff has mentioned many times in the past, to change the subject of a topic that someone starts here in the middle of a topic. That's all.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In the strictest terms, it is disrespectful to deviate from the original topic of the thread, but we have more than once acknowledged that this happens frequently since we are all wont to go wherever the spirit takes us.

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:05 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Perhaps Iris perhaps,

I guess my further point is that from past experience here, I don't think the staff will let this thread go on to 700 pages of questions with a member asking a new question every time he or she turns a page in the book and comes up with another question to ask.

That does seems to be the purpose of the Q & A forum. That's all.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Thanks for the concern, but I don't think we've ever complained about a topic becoming too long. It's just that the longer they become the more likely they are to begin to wander and lose focus. As long as we can keep discussion within reasonable boundaries we should be okay. Still, it never hurts to begin a new topic whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Okay Vann, I see your point although I've noticed that the only forum utilized with any consistency on this site is the "Open Discussion" forum. I wonder why that is? I'm puzzled. Image

Abdullah, how about starting a new thread? TUB and Islam, or TUB and World Religions, or TUB and Theology. Whatever, as long as it is broad and open. Then you can ask a million questions, express your views and your opinions on the subject since it will be your thread; and, you can decide what to do when someone changes the topic; that is, until moderators intervene and completely stop the flow of spirit. 8)

iris

Post subject: Response
PostPosted:  

Hello, all:

Well, I have just read a whole list of posts that somehow did NOT get sent to my e-mail. I shall have to figure out the problem.

As for starting my own thread, I don't see the point. I think we are doing just fine here, and the Admistrators seem to agree. I think that as long as we recognise that the questions and answers we have should involve TUB, we won't have a problem.

The reason this thread has become so interesting is that we have persons from a Christian background, persons from a Muslim background, and persons from a more UB background. I also have a Jewish background, so in a way, we are uniquely arranged to be able to bring in all subjects from the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures, and from the Qur'an, and see how they relate to the Urantia Book. I see no problem with this.

I do admit freely that every time I read the Urantia Book, I have more questions, some of which I have posted here, usually in a Muslim context. For me, the Fifth Epochal Revelation must by definition relate to the Noble Qur'an and to the Hadith of Mohammed (may peace be upon him always).

It looks like I shall have to check this board more frequently, since my e-mail seems to be malfunctioning. But in any case, I don't see the need to start a new thread. I think this one can go on as long as we want it to, provided all posters are happy with the contents, and the debates remain tactful and respectful from one poster to another. So far, I have not seen any rude posts, and I think we are all mature enough to make sure that no rude posts get put on this board. Let us continue with the thread. If I started a thread on Islam and TUB, I would be deprived of the chance to hear from those of a Christian background, like I can get in this thread. I like our debates to remain as open as possible, to get as many varying ideas as possible, so we can learn from them.

Well, nuff said, as the young people say. I look forward to more posts in this thread. Salam Alaikum.

Abdullah

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Abdullah, since you are reading TUB from front to back, may I inquire which Paper you are currently reading? I'm thinking I might like to read along with you in your journey from front to back. I've done so many times and as Iris stated, new gems seem to pop out with every new read. I look forward to when we arrive at Paper 119 as that is a most revealing introduction to Christ Michael/Jesus and his loving embrace of us humans.

All the best, Ray

Post subject: Response to Ray
PostPosted:  

Hello, Ray:

I am currently marked at Paper 39. I tend to read two papers a day. Hope that helps.

Abdullah

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Abdullah,

The Noble Quran 2:130 Say ye: 'We believe in God, and that which hath been sent down to us, and that which hath been sent down to Abraham and Ismael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes: and that which hath been given to Moses and to Jesus, and that which was given to the prophets from their Lord. No difference do we make between any of them: and to God are we resigned.' (J.M Rodwell translation)

The UB 1768:03 "The authority of truth is the very spirit that indwells its living manifestations, and not the dead words of the less illuminated and supposedly inspired men of another generation. And even if these holy men of old lived inspired and spirit-filled lives, that does not mean that their words were similarly spiritually inspired."

iris

Last edited by Bonita on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I can see how this Topic as it has evolved could make a better filing in a different location if only to make it easier for new persons to find this wonderful on going discussion.

It matters not if we take the subject and call it a discourse for inter faith Dialogue or any thing else. but I see we are in a discussion that no-one will find if they did not already know was here. and knowledge is to be shared.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Just a note on how to know where to look for new postings. One of the purposes for logging in with a user name is so that one can post -- anyone can read but only people who have given themselves a user name can post. Having done that, the system then keeps track of postings that have been made since the last time the user signed on. Just click on "view posts since last visit" and all of the topics that have had postings made to them will show up. When you sign out the list is removed and begins over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi J,

I guess if the moderator wants it moved, he can move it. But you have a good point. Do you think there are enough people out there who care about this?

Larry, I think J might be talking about people who are not members and just read. Maybe? Don't know for sure.

iris

Post subject: Response to Iris
PostPosted:  

Hello, Iris:

Mohammed (peace be upon him always) called Christians and Jews People of the Book because they did have a Scripture, unlike others. That in no way implies that he thought their Scripture was correct.

It is true that Islam had to make an accomodation with Hinduism in India when India was ruled by Muslims. They were able to do this partly because some forms of Hinduism are arguably monotheistic, such as the school of Vishnu, which teaches that Vishnu is the only God, who incarnates himself in various forms, including Jesus Christ.

Partly, though, the Muslims accomodated Hindus for one reason, and that is that there were too many to convert or kill. In Arabia, polytheists were converted or killed outright. Jews and Christians were allowed to retain their religion in exchange for the Jizya tax, although it is true that some of the Jewish tribes were annihilated because, after having made a treaty with the Muslims, they later broke it, and Mohammed (peace be upon him always) subjected them to the Law of Moses (peace be upon him always), which dictated that oathbreakers be killed. The men were killed, and the women and children were taken as slaves, and forced to convert to Islam.

So there you are. My thoughts, as well as some history. Salam alaikum.

Abdullah

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next