Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:36 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

"There is a direct relationship between maturity and the unit of time consciousness in any given intellect. The time unit may be a day, a year, or a longer period, but inevitably it is the criterion by which the conscious self evaluates the circumstances of life, and by which the conceiving intellect measures and evaluates the facts of temporal existence." Paper 118 Section 1

Imagine an apple tree with a bird on a branch and a snail on the ground underneath. Say one of the apples falls from the branch the bird is on and hits the ground near the snail. Allow me poetic license here but I think neither of them would see the apple fall. Why?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:

Quote:
Imagine an apple tree with a bird on a branch and a snail on the ground underneath. Say one of the apples falls from the branch the bird is on and hits the ground near the snail. Allow me poetic license here but I think neither of them would see the apple fall. Why?

Because they were both blind? They were on Paradise? I give up. Why? :smile:

If 1 day in Paradise is the same as 1000 years on earth
HERE

Joer wrote:
Gerdean wrote:
Time is a function of the evolving worlds. Paradise is timeless.

P.120 - §3 Roughly: space seemingly originates just below nether Paradise; time just above upper Paradise. Time, as you understand it, is not a feature of Paradise existence, though the citizens of the central Isle are fully conscious of nontime sequence of events. Motion is not inherent on Paradise; it is volitional. But the concept of distance, even absolute distance, has very much meaning as it may be applied to relative locations on Paradise. Paradise is nonspatial; hence its areas are absolute and therefore serviceable in many ways beyond the concept of mortal mind.

Heavy Stuff. I think I'll get it better when I get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Joer, It wasn’t a trick question. It is in relation to the section I referred to above.

The bird and the snail both perceive the same physical event but they don’t see the motion because they experience different time period sequences. The bird sees things in short fast event sequences and only sees the apple at different positions on the way down. In other words, it doesn’t see the apple fall it only sees it in different places each time the bird’s attention is placed in that direction. The snail sees things so slowly that it only notices the apple in the tree at one time and on the ground another. It does not occur to the snail to think about how the apple got to the ground. It does not occur the bird to think about how the apple gets from one position to the next because it hasn't got time to stay with the issue long enough to see it.

We live on a planet that has at any one time millions of spiritual and semi-spiritual beings who operate right in front of our eyes but we don’t see them. Yeah we could make the case that our eyes are not able to perceive that level of existence, but for the sake of argument let’s say that the lack of perception is partially a time thing like the snail and the bird, only I think we have the ability to change that.

If maturity is in one sense, the ability to perceive time differently why would we not want to try? Our future includes our evolution to include the ability to perceive some levels of the other people. What transformations will that require? I think we can train ourselves and grow to be aware of alternative perceptions of time and in so doing, assist our TA in spiritualizing our minds. Eternity is the ability to perceive all time at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
The personality of the mortal creature may eternalize by self-identification with the indwelling spirit through the technique of choosing to do the will of the Father. Such a consecration of will is tantamount to the realization of eternity-reality of purpose. This means that the purpose of the creature has become fixed with regard to the succession of moments; stated otherwise, that the succession of moments will witness no change in creature purpose. A million or a billion moments makes no difference. Number has ceased to have meaning with regard to the creature's purpose. Thus does creature choice plus God's choice eventuate in the eternal realities of the never-ending union of the spirit of God and the nature of man in the everlasting service of the children of God and of their Paradise Father. 1295:02

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:53 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

WOW Iris,

I wanted to start a discussion about this but I don't think I deserved to be scolded as a precursor to the conversation. My goodness, did I touch a nerve?

I am not trying to see spirits as a method of measuring maturity. I was using that as a metaphor. Please forgive my poor communication.

I know what the book says about this, but what my mind has learned to comprehend hasn't yet achieved the level of understanding of Mighty Messenger. I am trying to speak what my TA is trying to get me to understand, I guess I have a lot to learn.

Our perception of time is a multidimensional; fast, slow, long periods, short periods etc. What we rarely do is define the differences as we go. My story about the bird and the snail points to that particular issue. What I wanted to discuss was our human need to expand our horizons they way we would eventually evolve to when we can, because of our evolution, see certain levels of planetary beings.

What is wrong with that?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

118:10.15 3. Man's universe integration—the increase of human insight plus the increase of human experiential achievement brings him into closer harmony with the unifying presences of Supremacy—Paradise Trinity and Supreme Being. And this is what establishes the sovereignty of the Supreme on the worlds long settled in light and life. Such advanced planets are indeed poems of harmony, pictures of the beauty of achieved goodness attained through the pursuit of cosmic truth. And if such things can happen to a planet, then even greater things can happen to a system and the larger units of the grand universe as they too achieve a settledness indicating the exhaustion of the potentials for finite growth.

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:54 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Iris,

I appreciate your constant reminders -- you've given a good list of what TUB isn't; it's just hard to break the mold.

I also liked the snail and bird analogy although I'm thinking the snail wouldn't see anything, but that's not the point. I am wondering though, why should we have interest in expanding our horizons to see certain levels of planetary beings. It's my recollection that even in the age of light and life, the epitome of material development and evolution that such sights or visions would be rare indeed and most likely entirely unnecessary for the normal development of a human being.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Jim, How's it going.

I say WOW to Iris' post. But not because it seemed to me that she was chiding you. But because of the depth and wealth of information she shares so very OFTEN in her posts like this one.

It's definitely something I want to copy and past and save as an advanced perspective of Time as outlined by TUB.

We have had several good threads on this subject. What I find exemplary is that you recognize the phenomenon and possible value of manipulating your perception of time segments. I don't know what you will see. I've mentioned here before about the experience of seemingly stopping time when in reality I was probably just adjusting my time segment perception to a much faster time-segment frame thus giving me the illusory perception that time had stopped. Here's a post I made from Abners:
Quote:
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:57 am Post subject:

I was thinking about this (time slowing) just yesterday. I had an experience when I was about 20 where I saw time stop. And I was trying to figure out yesterday what happened to allow me to experience time stopping. Of course I don't really believe time stopped. But I think my thought process must have speeded up so fast that my perception was that time stopped. I looked at a clock and watched the second hand slow until it stopped. Than I watched it stay stationary for about what seemed to me 5 to 10 seconds. I realized I was thinking while the second hand remained motionless. I started to scare myself so I released my focus and it began moving again normally.

I was standing in the middle of the College's student activities office in the middle of lunchtime. It seemed like everybody remained active but it was like I wasn't there to them when the clock stopped. Even though I was fully conscious of myself. And when it started it was as if it had never stopped and I was there with them again, as if nothing had happened. But I was keenly aware of what had happened and was quite impressed by it. It gave me something to wonder about for a long time. And even to revisit once in a while like yesterday. Yesterday was the first time I came up with the idea that my thoughts had speeded up. I figure I was thinking about 20 times faster than normal although it felt normal thus giving the illusion that time stood still. MY brain may have been processing the visual signals so that as the time interval between the signal became less and less they finally reach a point where my brain was processing thoughts faster than the second hand was moving. Again giving the illusion that it wasn't moving at all.

It's kind of like the idea in calculus where you can divide a space infinitely into progressively smaller divisions. So if you figure a minute is divided into a second. And we visually see a second on the clock as designated by the movement of the second hand. Well what if that minute is divided into 1200 units of time instead of 60? (20 times faster) Instead of taking one unit of time for the second hand to move the distance demarcated for a second. Now it takes 60 units of time for that second hand to move that same distance. And we can't tell we're seeing it 20 times faster than normal. So now 1/60th of a second seems like 1 second to us. How far will that second hand move in 1/60th of a second? Simple math tells us it will move 1/60th of the distance it normally moves in 1 second. So if we watch it the second hand for 5 to 10 60ths of a second it will appear to stand still to us, because it will only move 1/12th to 1/6th the distance it normally moves in 1 second. Thus creating the illusion that time stopped.

I don't know why that solution about what I saw came to me yesterday, but it did. I actually am remembering now that I was contemplating "time" and how "time" worked. It seemed strange to me how sometimes "goes faster" or "time slows down" or "time flies" but the mechanisms that mark time are always mechanically marking the same intervals. It seemed to me that there was more to time than the mechanical devices were telling us. Then the clock stops and blows me away.

Until yesterday. 34 years later. Oh Yeah! Yesterday I was thinking that TUB somehow lead me to think this way.

I think I came to the conclusion back then that "TIME" is different for us. We are not mechanical devices. It can speed up and slow down for us, according to our perception. There's more to "TIME" than the standard clock indicates.

I don't know if that helps Dana. But I don't worry about people thinking I'm crazy. I've had two many experiences I can't explain, and I refuse to reject them just because I don't understand them.

Peace be with you Sister! God’s Blessings be with you.

So yes I think you can train yourself to "SEE" alternate perspectives of time-segments and it may help you in your spiritual perception but as Iris says the spiritual growth is within you. But as I see it, each one of us finds our own ways with which we connect with that inner growth and this may be one for you. How will you proceed, Jim?

God's Blessings be with you my friend.
:smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
There is a direct relationship between maturity and the unit of time consciousness in any given intellect. The time unit may be a day, a year, or a longer period, but inevitably it is the criterion by which the conscious self evaluates the circumstances of life, and by which the conceiving intellect measures and evaluates the facts of temporal existence. 1295:03

Experience, wisdom, and judgment are the concomitants of the lengthening of the time unit in mortal experience. As the human mind reckons backward into the past, it is evaluating past experience for the purpose of bringing it to bear on a present situation. As mind reaches out into the future, it is attempting to evaluate the future significance of possible action. And having thus reckoned with both experience and wisdom, the human will exercises judgment-decision in the present, and the plan of action thus born of the past and the future becomes existent. 1295:04

In the maturity of the developing self, the past and future are brought together to illuminate the true meaning of the present. As the self matures, it reaches further and further back into the past for experience, while its wisdom forecasts seek to penetrate deeper and deeper into the unknown future. And as the conceiving self extends this reach ever further into both past and future, so does judgment become less and less dependent on the momentary present. In this way does decision-action begin to escape from the fetters of the moving present, while it begins to take on the aspects of past-future significance. 1295:05

Patience is exercised by those mortals whose time units are short; true maturity transcends patience by a forbearance born of real understanding. 1295:06

To become mature is to live more intensely in the present, at the same time escaping from the limitations of the present. The plans of maturity, founded on past experience, are coming into being in the present in such manner as to enhance the values of the future. 1295:07

The time unit of immaturity concentrates meaning-value into the present moment in such a way as to divorce the present of its true relationship to the not-present--the past-future. The time unit of maturity is proportioned so to reveal the co-ordinate relationship of past-present-future that the self begins to gain insight into the wholeness of events, begins to view the landscape of time from the panoramic perspective of broadened horizons, begins perhaps to suspect the nonbeginning, nonending eternal continuum, the fragments of which are called time. 1295:08-1296:00

On the levels of the infinite and the absolute the moment of the present contains all of the past as well as all of the future. I AM signifies also I WAS and I WILL BE. And this represents our best concept of eternity and the eternal. 1296:01

On the absolute and eternal level, potential reality is just as meaningful as actual reality. Only on the finite level and to time-bound creatures does there appear to be such a vast difference. To God, as absolute, an ascending mortal who has made the eternal decision is already a Paradise finaliter. But the Universal Father, through the indwelling Thought Adjuster, is not thus limited in awareness but can also know of, and participate in, every temporal struggle with the problems of the creature ascent from animallike to Godlike levels of existence. 1296:02

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:55 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I posted this on another thread here on Dec. 29th.

Quote:
Well I have some boulders I've just started on. But the Dove helping me is the Spirit of God and we have more time than we need to wear those boulders down. So we are just going about our usual work. And loving it. I've found that some of these boulders even begin to develop cracks of softness because of the good that I know is within them in spite of the hardened exteriors. They crack and they actually enjoy it and don't even realize it's happening because it happens so slowly and all of a sudden something inside them begins responding to the light shining upon them and the hard exterior begins to become permeable. And truth enters and exits their “being” more and more freely and it begins to resonate within them.

When I read this excerpt from Iris today, it felt like it was expressing what I feel like is my union with God when I experience it, doing God’s Will reaching out to my brothers and sisters on that other site or anywhere. And I’m not worried about time because in my union with God I have all the time in the world. So I read Iris’ excerpt and it just rings true true true for me and my Dove friend of God.

Quote:
The personality of the mortal creature may eternalize by self-identification with the indwelling spirit through the technique of choosing to do the will of the Father. Such a consecration of will is tantamount to the realization of eternity-reality of purpose. This means that the purpose of the creature has become fixed with regard to the succession of moments; stated otherwise, that the succession of moments will witness no change in creature purpose. A million or a billion moments makes no difference. Number has ceased to have meaning with regard to the creature's purpose. Thus does creature choice plus God's choice eventuate in the eternal realities of the never-ending union of the spirit of God and the nature of man in the everlasting service of the children of God and of their Paradise Father. 1295:02

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Time is an invariable element in the attainment of knowledge; religion makes its endowments immediately available, albeit there is the important factor of growth in grace, definite advancement in all phases of religious experience. Knowledge is an eternal quest; always are you learning, but never are you able to arrive at the full knowledge of absolute truth. In knowledge alone there can never be absolute certainty, only increasing probability of approximation; but the religious soul of spiritual illumination knows, and knows now. And yet this profound and positive certitude does not lead such a sound-minded religionist to take any less interest in the ups and downs of the progress of human wisdom, which is bound up on its material end with the developments of slow-moving science. [and time, my words] 102:2.4

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:55 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks Iris.

Quote:
And yet this profound and positive certitude does not lead such a sound-minded religionist to take any less interest in the ups and downs of the progress of human wisdom, which is bound up on its material end with the developments of slow-moving science.

I guess if I wanted to escape the bounds of material reality, theoretically I could. BUT it just seems natural to stay here and do what I would do if I moved on....
Quote:
Thus does creature choice ...eventuate in the eternal realities of...the everlasting service of the children of God and of their Paradise Father. 1295:02

I love you. I love it here. I love it there. I love it anytime, anyplace, anywhere. :smile: (sounds like Dr. Suess religion) :o I LOVE. O:)

God Bless You Iris and all here. I Love your stuff. It's the stuff Spiritual realities are made of! I wish I could box and sell it as a breakfast cereal and all those who ate would automatically KNOW IT and BE IT. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
After such spiritual attainment, whether secured by gradual growth or specific crisis, there occurs a new orientation of personality as well as the development of a new standard of values. Such spirit-born individuals are so remotivated in life that they can calmly stand by while their fondest ambitions perish and their keenest hopes crash; they positively know that such catastrophes are but the redirecting cataclysms which wreck one's temporal creations preliminary to the rearing of the more noble and enduring realities of a new and more sublime level of universe attainment. p1096:5 100:2.8

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:56 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Man Iris! I don't know where you get all this stuff so FAST! So good!

You must be made out of the stuff angels are made of. You never cease to amaze me.

What ya' do? get a midwayer to help you organize that notes program and use accelerated time to run it!
:smile:

Happy New Year!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Inner creativity contributes to ennoblement of character through personality integration and selfhood unification. It is forever true: The past is unchangeable; only the future can be changed by the ministry of the present creativity of the inner self. p1221:1 111:4.12

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:56 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.