Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:13 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Are women treated different than men on the internet?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
"Happy are they who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Happy are you when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven." 1570:12

"To return good for evil, to assert the will so as to become master of the situation, to overcome evil with good--the positive and righteous method."1770:06

Ok...that was my brother's tactics. I am out of here. It's no longer about the topic...somehow it has become centered on one person's ego.

I wish you all well...
and Peace
Jo

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Jesus spread good cheer everywhere he went. He was full of grace and truth. His associates never ceased to wonder at the gracious words that proceeded out of his mouth. You can cultivate gracefulness, but graciousness is the aroma of friendliness which emanates from a love-saturated soul. Goodness always compels respect, but when it is devoid of grace, it often repels affection. Goodness is universally attractive only when it is gracious. Goodness is effective only when it is attractive. 1874:04-05

Last edited by Bonita on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:12 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Because you asked, the topic is...

Understanding women is more fully comprehending God.

Understanding misunderstandings is tough huh!

Best to forgive the misunderstandings and move on lest you drag heavy unforgiven anchors around with you that retard any true progress.

The point of Arc's question, I think, was to elicit give and take among the women so we men might "understand" whatever dynamics we "don't get" about women.

One observation I've noticed, common to both men and women, is that potential friction is often the result of issues we haven't forgiven ourselves for - errors + omissions + guilt = internal self-flagilation first which ticks us off so we externalize that anger toward others - more often than not those we are closest to - love the most.

Early next week the men will begin to interact with each other while you women are asked to quietly observe for a while. Therefore, if there is anything else you would like to say to each other that might be meaningful to "getting it," please get it on. Forget the past; Forgive the past; stay centered in the present - do it passionately - challenge each other - support each other - start a new string - but do it all with good cheer please.

All the best, Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"By opening the human end of the channel of the God-man communication, mortals make immediately available the ever-flowing stream of divine ministry to the creatures of the worlds. When man hears God's spirit speak within the human heart, inherent in such an experience is the fact that God simultaneously hears that man's prayer. Even the forgiveness of sin operates in this same unerring fashion. The Father in heaven has forgiven you even before you have thought to ask him, but such forgiveness is not available in your personal religious experience until such a time as you forgive your fellow men. God's forgiveness in fact is not conditioned upon your forgiving your fellows, but in experience it is exactly so conditioned. And this fact of the synchrony of divine and human forgiveness was thus recognized and linked together in the prayer which Jesus taught the apostles."1638:04

"Jesus taught that sin is not the child of a defective nature but rather the offspring of a knowing mind dominated by an unsubmissive will. Regarding sin, he taught that God has forgiven; that we make such forgiveness personally available by the act of forgiving our fellows. When you forgive your brother in the flesh, you thereby create the capacity in your own soul for the reception of the reality of God's forgiveness of your own misdeeds."1861:05

"Divine love does not merely forgive wrongs; it absorbs and actually destroys them. The forgiveness of love utterly transcends the forgiveness of mercy. Mercy sets the guilt of evil-doing to one side; but love destroys forever the sin and all weakness resulting therefrom. Jesus brought a new method of living to Urantia. He taught us not to resist evil but to find through him a goodness which effectually destroys evil. The forgiveness of Jesus is not condonation; it is salvation from condemnation. Salvation does not slight wrongs; it makes them right. True love does not compromise nor condone hate; it destroys it. The love of Jesus is never satisfied with mere forgiveness. The Master's love implies rehabilitation, eternal survival. It is altogether proper to speak of salvation as redemption if you mean this eternal rehabilitation."2018:01

iris

Last edited by Bonita on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:36 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Ray...you gave it your best shot here, and many of those participating did also. Sorry that it deteriorated into a personal competition...very male-like I might add. Not really...the female way seems to be slightly more underhanded and sneaky. I would prefer up front and honest any day vs the passive-aggressive way this played out.

Iris, you played us from the first post you placed...and I finally took the bait. Actually, I gave you the ammunition when I described how my brother acted out, and how I reacted to his tactics.

I knew you were hurt but didn't realize the depth of it. You have been nursing this for quite some time and this was your chance to strike back at us. I do understand...although I don't accept responsibility for your actions. Only my own. Your ability to pull one sentence, or comment, out of the whole of my posting (and of others) and decide that I was being critical of you causes me to believe that you were "looking" for something or some reason to attack. So be it.

We each heal from our wounds differently. My hope is that you can turn w/in to that Calm that guides you to the Truth. Many positive things have been said about your intellect, and your study of the UB. But like all human beings, we can sometimes let our ego over run our intellect (please notice that I included myself in that...I am not singling you out).

So here's to onward and upward. I do apologize to those participating (whether reading or posting) for my own acting out by "reacting" to Iris's last post. What can I say but...still working on that ego but it will always be a part of me. Guess it's supposed to be to some extent (hey...if you knew me 5 years ago you would actually believe that I've made a little progress! :roll: ).

Peace and
Happy Sunday!
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
You have been nursing this for quite some time and this was your chance to strike back at us.

Jesus spread good cheer everywhere he went. He was full of grace and truth. His associates never ceased to wonder at the gracious words that proceeded out of his mouth. You can cultivate gracefulness, but graciousness is the aroma of friendliness which emanates from a love-saturated soul. Goodness always compels respect, but when it is devoid of grace, it often repels affection. Goodness is universally attractive only when it is gracious. Goodness is effective only when it is attractive. 1874:04-05

Last edited by Bonita on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

“Revelation as an epochal phenomenon is periodic; as a personal human experience it is continuous.” 1107:02

iris

Last edited by Bonita on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:38 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

So what are we seeing here? More examples of Mother God? Letting it be known what behavior is perceived as unacceptable. Letting it be known that misunderstandings are not only possible, they are inevitable? Letting it be known that we don't have to tolerate intolerable behavior? Letting it be known that what other people think of us is none of our business?

I see a typical and very human "digression" NOT from the sublime to the ridiculous, but digression from the warm and fuzzy aspects of Deity we want to see, to the often messy, garbled and imperfect aspects of evolving deity we don't want to acknowledge as having any value at all.

What I love about the Mother Spirit is that she inhabits even the animals. And she certainly inhabits each of us here on this Forum and in this discussion -- which, by the way -- was prompted, if I recall correctly, by a hub-bub on another thread where a man had a hissy-fit about a woman's bad attitude and seems to me they have both "gone missing."

My understanding of the Mother God is that in little issues, she will let her children squabble and work it out on their own (even though sometimes we squabble like pit bull puppies and fight among ourselves until we are bleeding and exhausted). Come bedtime, she will lavish her affection on each child individually, understanding the nature of that individual child better than anyone else in the world.

Like the Ancients of Days, who know all about us, and who know what our background is, our secrets, our wounds, our scars, our dreams, our hopes, our ambitions, our innermost selves, warts and all ... Mother God loves us unconditionally. And I am sure if we were as perfect as She is, we would also love each other unconditionally but dag-nabbit, we are NOT as perfect as she is and so we have these situations that come up.

Yes, we have ended up doing a lot of talking about and around Iris, but if she is not an example of our discussion here, along with Fetish, that other woman whose attitude was honed with testosterone, I don't know what is. They have demonstrated what is wrong with the way we communicate these days. We sweep our wounds and our wounded under the rug. We push them out the door, throw them out of the nest. We tell them to Grow Up! and Get Over It! We tell them forgiveness is mandatory. And then we go on, but they are left with the wounds inflicted by their own society!

They become screeching, strident, sullen, angry, passive-aggressive, pouting, ya-hoos with a chip on their shoulder, acid dripping out of their mouth, alienated from all who would be there for them if we could. If our task is to learn to love one another as Jesus loves us, don't you suppose he would be able to see all there is to see about us and reach into the heart of the matter and give us something to think about without making us feel like there is something defective about us, or with our thinking, or with our feelings? Isn't that what we could learn to do, too, if we were to use Our Mother as an example of how to love one another?

And this is the heart of this conversation, if you ask me. Women are so readily relegated to the back of the synagog ... even though Jesus gave us the authority to teach and preach ... they are so weary of it ... even as you are, Jo (remembering how it feels to be beat over the head with scriptures), and I am, (remembering how it feels to be tossed aside as yesterday's news once they have gotten my sex, my paycheck, my transcripts, and made it their own) ... The whole point is that we grow weary of it! We get so weary of it, we even abuse our own sisters.

I know the Master says to not grow weary of well-doing, and the spirit in me still occasionally rises up and feels like it wants to share something, even though it seems I am almost always misunderstood, and maybe this is where I appreciate being still a child of the material worlds. I can go to my Mother to be comforted, because obviously humans don't have it in them, or they have not yet developed their sensitivity to the extent Our Mother has, to nurture and suckle and comfort and soothe and hold us until our tears are dried.

It's Mother who kisses the boo-boo and makes it all better. But when Mother is worn to a frazzle, the kids are on their own. And we have seen a case here, in this discussion, which exemplifies the problem we women are up against. War prevails. Fear runs the show. These are barbaric conditions. There is not enough leisure. There is not enough peace. And we are tired. We are freaking tired to the bone!

I realize there are some who live well, who are far removed from these kinds of vagaries, who don't know women who have turned to drink or drugs to find some relief from an impossible situation, who don't know what it feels like to prostitute themselves in order to survive, who have not lost their kids to violence or lost their husbands to younger, sexier women -- or to another man! -- but these are the signs of the times we live in, and this is the ministry some of us are called to undertake.

Yes, we all bring our baggage and cultural conditioning with us when we come to these lists. And we all want to be seen as "god-knowing, spirit led" individuals. But if we cannot even be respectful of each other, and go the second mile with our kindred-spirits, how can we go the second mile and demonstrate divine love and a startling affection to those who sit in darkness?

We are asked to manifest fatherly affection, as a step beyond brotherly love. Let's make that motherly affection, too. Some mothers might simply push their flawed offspring out of the nest to let them die. But as I understand it, God is not willing that any of his children should perish. I am not willing to let Jo or Iris or any Truthbook member go, no matter what. This is what it means to raise kids.

P.S. Arc missed the earlier chapter. He was getting answers even before he asked the right questions. Let's just all forgive each other for getting sand in each other's eyes and be grateful for this beautiful Autumn day.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

BRAVA! BRAVA!!

"Spirit-gravity pull and response thereto operate not only on the universe as a whole but also even between individuals and groups of individuals. There is a spiritual cohesiveness among the spiritual and spiritized personalities of any world, race, nation, or believing group of individuals. There is a direct attractiveness of a spirit nature between spiritually minded persons of like tastes and longings. The term kindred spirits is not wholly a figure of speech." 82:05

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Just a little admin interjection here by way of explanation. I don't want to derail this discussion but want to attempt to clarify... and I'm happy to see Iris posting again. She has confirmed the UBs teachings regarding personal revelation. However, personal revelation differs from epochal revelation and the Truthbook.com site as well as this discussion board chooses to focus on the concepts of revelation provided by TUB. That's not to indicate that there's anything wrong with anyone's personal revelation, it's just that attempting to present those convictions alongside the teachings of TUB is inappropriate here although it surely may be appropriate to present them elsewhere. I believe we each strive to offer our best insights and thoughts through these discussions -- admin gets twitchy though if someone attributes insight to anything other than it being their own. It's easy to see why: why is one's personal revelation superior another contributor's? Why be confounded with someone else's personal religious insight which deviates from UB teachings when understanding the UB itself can be a life-long challenge? If we don't stick to the principles here then we're open to psychics speaking for Jesus or Albert Einstein -- it's simply expected that each of us take full personal responsibility for what is said and not to attribute them to any voices on high even though we may believe that's where they came from. As an example, I used to often say "The Urantia Book says ..." maybe because I wasn't totally convinced myself. For a good many years now I've been able instead to simply write or say what I think because my thoughts (I hope) have been molded through study of TUB and I accept them as my own now. So, please disseminate whatever personal revelation you may have absorbed, just own it; it's yours after all.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Arc Fixer wrote:
Howdy, folks.

Well, now I'm really confused. In my experience, the give and take of ideas has been the very substance of Internet forums. In fact, their very purpose. Fundamental to this purpose has been the asking and answering of questions. Thus are misunderstandings averted and clarity approached. Until just recently, this practice has been in frequent use and good standing here at Truthbook.

I have only asked a reasonable question that I feel might shed some light on a very dark subject. No one is under any obligation to answer at all, let alone in any particular manner. But still, considering this is an Internet forum, it is not unreasonable that I might have expected an answer. This is what usually happens.

Instead, in this instance, it seems my question is somehow out of order. This being the case, I withdraw my question, since it is not my desire to be a distraction.

Thank you all for your responses.

"Never let yesterday use up too much of today."
Will Rogers

Peace,
Arc

Arc, you are absolutely right about the give and take on the Internet. I think your question has been abundantly responded too on this forum. You may not have received the answer you wanted on in a way you expected BUT it has been answered. There is ample revelation of perspective in the responses.

I don't think you have recognized HOW MUCH you're esteemed by those of us at this site. You can withdraw your question but the personal growth stimulated by it is already in progress.

I have to get caught up on all these revelations of the beautiful feminine perspectives. I've only read yours and Iris' post before yours which I really enjoyed. It's so right on and it seems to show whose responsible for this spiritual growth that is living and occurring within us. Praise God and Our Holy Spirit.

I'm at a hotel right now but I should be back home late tonight to get caught up.

I'm so blessed to hear, listen to and have such generous and gracious friends like all of you here.
:smile:

Last edited by Joer on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:10 pm +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
So, please disseminate whatever personal revelation you may have absorbed, just own it; it's yours after all.

“The mature human being soon begins to look upon all other mortals with feelings of tenderness and with emotions of tolerance. Mature men view immature folks with the love and consideration that parents bear their children.” UB1773:03

"With all of this physical and intellectual influence manifest in the Master's presence, there were also all those spiritual charms of being which have become associated with his personality--patience, tenderness, meekness, gentleness, and humility." UB1589:05

“The one trait which Peter most admired in Jesus was his supernal tenderness. Peter never grew weary of contemplating Jesus' forbearance. He never forgot the lesson about forgiving the wrongdoer, not only seven times but seventy times and seven. He thought much about these impressions of the Master's forgiving character during those dark and dismal days immediately following his thoughtless and unintended denial of Jesus in the high priest's courtyard” UB1551:01

"Happy are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted." So-called common sense or the best of logic would never suggest that happiness could be derived from mourning. But Jesus did not refer to outward or ostentatious mourning. He alluded to an emotional attitude of tenderheartedness. It is a great error to teach boys and young men that it is unmanly to show tenderness or otherwise to give evidence of emotional feeling or physical suffering. Sympathy is a worthy attribute of the male as well as the female. It is not necessary to be calloused in order to be manly. This is the wrong way to create courageous men. The world's great men have not been afraid to mourn. Moses, the mourner, was a greater man than either Samson or Goliath. Moses was a superb leader, but he was also a man of meekness. Being sensitive and responsive to human need creates genuine and lasting happiness, while such kindly attitudes safeguard the soul from the destructive influences of anger, hate, and suspicion.” UB1575:01

Last edited by Bonita on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:15 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

How did the screen suddenly get switched over to Cinemascope?

[Iris had an unbroken string of ~~~~~~ in her post -- strings that can't be split and very long URLs or giant pictures will cause the screen to expand too wide. I just put blanks between the ~s.]

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

OOPS

Last edited by Bonita on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:51 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Iris,
Since you've asked for feedback my personal opinion is that what you've written is beautiful and quite touching and meaningful.

Larry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next