Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:33 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Are women treated different than men on the internet?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

JoeR, you said: "The audience is a catholic site mostly of progressive thinkers expressing their voice for progressive change within the church." Hmmm ... "progressive catholics." Isn't that an oxymoron?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Joer,

I read the post you linked to here, and I have to say you did a great job explaining something so reasonable to us here on this forum. Unfortunately, it looks like those folks on that forum are some of the hard-line Catholics, and as such, maybe just a little defensive about things. HAHA! I come from a long line of those die-hard Catholics, and brother, are they a tough sell!!!

The Urantia Book expands us so much, doesn't it? It is such a privelege, but at the same time, it is so frustrating not to be able to be heard by those who are so entrenched into their theologies, or whatever you call that...

All I can say is that maybe someone with eyes to see will come across your post and a light will go on for them. And that's what we have to hope for, I guess. I doubt whether you are going to convince many of those folks whose posts I read around yours...but nonetheless, you do a wonderful job of lovingly instructing these brothers and sisters. It's not your fault, or any lack in you, that prevents their understanding.

Merry Christmas Joe!!! Hope you and your family enjoy a wonderful holiday together...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

117:6.27 But no God-knowing mortal can ever be lonely in his journey through the cosmos, for he knows that the Father walks beside him each step of the way, while the very way that he is traversing is the presence of the Supreme.

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:45 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Just to give a good quote here, which may illuminate things a little.

Quote:

It's no wonder that you think of Jesus so nurturing like a mother, Iris...I do, too.

Yes, Joer - that Catholic mindset is pretty rigid, in any event - as Iris explains so well...your instruction will be best for someone who can actually hear what you are saying, and I hope that person comes along and finds your gem there...

And the priesthood??? You hit THAT nail on the head, Iris...never really got that part of the Catholic faith, and while I know it is high time for female "priests," I want to see all of that nonsense in the trash-heap of history...

PS: Doncha think it is very cool that I finally know how to put my quote in the little box? Thanks Gremlin!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

118:10.7 But what man calls providence is all too often the product of his own imagination, the fortuitous juxtaposition of the circumstances of chance. There is, however, a real and emerging providence in the finite realm of universe existence, a true and actualizing correlation of the energies of space, the motions of time, the thoughts of intellect, the ideals of character, the desires of spiritual natures, and the purposive volitional acts of evolving personalities. The circumstances of the material realms find final finite integration in the interlocking presences of the Supreme and the Ultimate.

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:50 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Iris,

Well, I guess I'd have to agree that Jesus is nothing like YOUR mom that you described...he's not like mine, either (and we won't go into THAT!). And God is nowhere near like my father, either - or, I guess my father was nothing like God. But good moms are affectionate and nurturing. And good dads are loving and supportive and always there...it's a pity we get dealt such poor examples sometimes on this hard world.

I don't think you have a deficiency about it at all - I think we can all come to Jesus as we are, where we are, and we still get reception and love up to our full capacity to receive. As long as you get that, I can't see any deficiency.

I guess I also have troubles in that area, myself, not having really experienced what I would consider proper "mother love." Still working on that one, and I also don't ever think of Jesus as a mother-figure, but maybe it's not such a bad idea, since we all have, and many are, parents. It's good to know there is a perfect example available to us, even if our experience is different.

I'll share just a little of my experience here, on the "father" side of things.

I was happy when I discovered the fatherly side of God, because I finally got to experience a kind of "daddy" love, even though it was from an unseen being. I used to go to 12-step meetings, and so many people there were so anti-God as Father, because so many times, their fathers were such losers. They would sometimes re-word the "Our Father" because they just could not stand that part...But for me, it felt okay to trust the God I discovered in The Urantia Book, and just jump in as his daughter. I was sad that my father was so lacking, but it was okay. Turns out I didn't miss out entirely because I had God instead - the perfect Father.

Well, The Urantia Book is very heavily slanted towards the Father-idea, and the most we get about mothering is from Universe Mother Spirit, but knowing that Jesus' love is tender like a good mother's, is very comforting to me, even though I am not really ready to think of him that way...I suppose you are right that that Divine kind of parental love is pure and transcends our notions and experiences of parental love, but I still like the idea of having the perfect mom and dad - even if they are invisible...

God Bless you, Iris...hope you are having a peaceful Christmas...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

118:7.3 Error in finite choosing is time bound and time limited. It can exist only in time and within the evolving presence of the Supreme Being. Such mistaken choosing is time possible and indicates (besides the incompleteness of the Supreme) that certain range of choice with which immature creatures must be endowed in order to enjoy universe progression by making freewill contact with reality.

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:51 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I always think of Jesus as male; I think of Michael as male. Not a hairy male; not masculine, necessarily, or authoritative, as we tend to think of masculine here, but decidedly male and not female. And not effeminate. The female presence I derive from what is called the Holy Spirit, or the Divine Minister, or some aspect of Deity that surrounds me and comforts me and actually suckles me at her Spirit breast. That would not be Jesus, with whom I can be a little child, but not a helpless infant. Mother Spirit will minister to me when I am being a baby, but when I am being a child, depending on my need, either of them can take care of me since they are united in their purpose of rearing their children for Our Father.

Having been throughly indoctrinated in that male God concept, it was a huge step forward for me when I was able to recognize the ministrations of the Spirit "Mother" because it took the burden off my Mom; however, I always knew my Father was not my Dad. And I still have a need for both my spiritual parents ... "Eternal Parents in one parent combined..." and I look forward to getting to know their qualities better as time goes by.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thank You all for your feedback my sisters. I find it very valuable. I appreciate your perspectives. MaryJo I do like the quote box. That's sweet. It was a good quote too. As it speaks about the qualitative differences in manifestations of God's Love.

Thanks Iris, for clarifying that reference I made about your post on the TB&G thread.

Quote:
Joer, my comment on Rick's thread was about a mother's love. It is a parental love just as Christ's love is a parental love; femininity or masculinity is not a part of it. True Love transcends all of that. Although I know you like to meditate on the feminine, it is merely a divine thought you use as a bridge to your holy of holies which transcends all the substrata of Love and connects you to the First Cause of all Love.

that's consistent with Maryjo's quote, about
Quote:
while the love of the Eternal Son is more like the affection of a mother. Crude, indeed, are such illustrations, but I employ them in the hope of conveying to the human mind the thought that there is a difference, not in divine content but in quality and technique of expression

I look for expressions that are comparable to TUB's to try to convey new living meaning to more vague and crystallized existing expressions of use in the religions of authority to attempt to aid those who are trying to bring it alive again. I guess like this expression in TUB about the religion of the Spirit I'm trying to do a little impregnating of a spiritual nature to help the evolution you speak of Iris along. I throw my seeds out there and the individuals there determine weather or not it is falling on "rock" or "fertile ground."

P.1732 - §1 ...The hope of human brotherhood can only be realized when, and as, the divergent mind religions of authority become impregnated with, and overshadowed by, the unifying and ennobling religion of the spirit--the religion of personal spiritual experience.

I sow it from within the midst of the rocks of traditional thought for the choir will pick up the music easily. It's the rocks that need the most work. And where the distinction between "rock" and "seed" can be most visible.

Gerdean you wrote:
Gerdean wrote:
JoeR, you said: "The audience is a catholic site mostly of progressive thinkers expressing their voice for progressive change within the church." Hmmm ... "progressive catholics." Isn't that an oxymoron?

I'm not sure if that's an oxymoron or not. But I am sure they are in a struggle with the patriarchal authority of the Catholic church for change and recognition especially concerning the rolls of women as defined by their personal "calling" from God.

And it's a struggle that many women from many churches of authority are engaged in. And weather that recognition results in rolls as "priests" or other orders defined by the women themselves it is as Iris points out, only the temporary scaffolding of progression to future higher bridges of scaffolding that we all must cross in our ascension to complete deity union.

If I can help anyone anywhere along the path of ascension, I’ll gladly do so as far as I am able. And I am so thankful I can call on you here who understand for guidance and support.

When I was young and in a religious class I asked a nun how long eternity was, she said, "If you had huge giant bolder of the hardest stone on earth and a dove came by once a year and brushed it's wing upon the bolder. By the time the bolder was worn down to nothing eternity would be longer than that." Well I have some boulders I've just started on. But the Dove helping me is the Spirit of God and we have more time than we need to wear those boulders down. So we are just going about our usual work. And loving it. I've found that some of these boulders even begin to develop cracks of softness because of the good that I know it within them in spite of the hardened exteriors. They crack and they actually enjoy it and don't even realize it's happening because it happens so slowly and al of a sudden something inside them begins responding to the light shining upon them and the hard exterior begins to become permeable. and truth enters and exits there being more and more freely and it begins to resonate within them.

Anyhow! Thank You all so much for your comments. They are so helpful.
God Bless You all for your love and willingness to respond to one's need and request.

In you I gather strength from the Lord our God. Father and Mother in One for lack of a better term in this moment.
:smile:
Peace be with you my sisters. :smile: and all at this site.

Last edited by Joer on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:32 am +0000, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Joer, I think all the nuns back in the 50s and 60s must've had the same play-book. The nuns that I had in school used the very same kind of analogy to tell us kids what eternity was like...I think ours said a solid iron ball as big as the earth...but the dove was in there as well...that was a flash from the past!!! I had Benedictines and Ursulines...how about you? I grew up in Cincinnati...

I like what you said about the boulders. That was really pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi -- I think the nuns may have been borrowing from Buddhism which associates the number of incarnations necessary to reach Nirvana with the number of times a dove has to drag a silk cloth over a mountain or a big rock in order to turn it to dust. Is it allowed for Catholics to borrow from Buddhism?

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

To all,
I think that God could have chosen any number of ways to reveal himself to the human race.
After all he is God. But -
He chose to be born of a woman. And -
Upon her was bestowed immeasurable grace.

Quote:
p1346:4 " My benediction rests upon you, the power of the Most Highs will strengthen you, and the Lord of all the earth shall overshadow you."

" This redemption is dependent upon women—a dependency rooted in the created goodness of women."

I think to be a woman is to be of a little higher order than a man.
(sorry men)

Love to all,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

That's okay Jeff, we men can take the hit; it's a man thing. But I agree... in many respects women are superior to men and better representatives of the best in the human race than their gender opposites are. Since men tend to be bigger and stronger and have commensurate egos they've worked hard throughout history to "keep woman in her place." One of the few positive cultural advances that I'll acknowledge that have transpired in the past 50 years is that women here now have near equal opportunity with men.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Joer, I think all the nuns back in the 50s and 60s must've had the same play-book. The nuns that I had in school used the very same kind of analogy to tell us kids what eternity was like...I think ours said a solid iron ball as big as the earth...but the dove was in there as well...that was a flash from the past!!! I had Benedictines and Ursulines...how about you? I grew up in Cincinnati...

I like what you said about the boulders. That was really pretty.

You know Mary Jo, I think that's exactly the way my nun from The Sisters of Mercy told me. "A solid iron ball as big as the earth." I just couldn't remember it exactly. My daughter had a few Ursuline nuns as most of the teachers at her school are lay teachers now. (over 90% of them)

Larry you right on the Buddhists teaching and it's almost the same as the Catholic one. My daughter who had the same religious survey class I had this year assured me it was OK and encouraged me to practice Buddhist practices of yoga. fasting and dieting. Since Buddhism doesn't promote a belief in God we could practice Buddhist exercises as we would any other. She enlightened me because I had always thought of Buddhism as a religion not a way a living.

Jeff and Larry I'm impressed with your recognition of women's genius. I saw a science magazine about 6 months ago that showed a study of women and men doctors brains. Where MRI's taken while they where thinking or something showed that women’s brains are consistently more lit up than men’s brains. Showing during normal brain activity women use more of their brains than men do. And one area of increased activity is in the area of communication. So that thing Debbie was talking about on her thread about "understanding women?", about women talking with more detail and men talking more directly corresponds with the way their brains are more active than ours in the communication sectors.

Peace my friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Changed my mind, delete.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next