Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:28 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Are women treated different than men on the internet?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Woman Jo, :smile: (instead of Man Jo,)

That was a great post. I agree with everything you say. And I miss all of those posters you mentioned. I would love to hear from them again. Froggy had a group on AOL. But I think he went into detention again for drinking or something. I checked his forum a while back and it hadn’t had any posts for a while. I pray for Froggy’s recovery and I know he will continue his growth through Truthbook. He’s steadfast in Truthbook. Rherman, has posted on this thread I believe another great poem. Fatboy2 posted recently on the warewolf thread by our young visitor but I hope we benefit more from his wisdom and loving service to us. Woody invited me to Vann’s thread and I saw Fetish had just joined and podted there the 29th I believe, but I couldn’t find Woody. He may have a different name there. Coop still has beautiful posts I believe he may have posted here but it has slowed down. I'll try to PM Georgie. :smile:

When people get banned or restricted the posts drop off quite a bit because of bad or sad feelings among the posters. They love everyone so much, it hurts them to see someone banned or restricted. Other’s wonder why posters they find offensive aren’t restricted. So admin has a thankless job in maintaining order. I’m also sadden when these things come to pass but I must take Jesus’ lead in rendering unto Cesar that which is Cesar’s. And it’s admin’s job to make those decisions not mine. My job is to share God’s Love with admin, the banned and those that remain.

But I really like those things you shared Jo. I so agree with those little insights you added to how those TUB quotes are actually occuring in our government system right now. And as TUB says we must strive to maintain the integrity of the democratic form of government by guarding against those pitfalls it warns us of.
Thanks Jo! God Bless!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

See the tree, how big it's grown
But friend it hasn't been too long

It wasn't big

I laughed at her and she got mad
The first day that she planted it,

was just a twig

Then the first snow came
And she ran out to brush the snow away

So it wouldn't die

Came runnin' in all excited
Slipped and almost hurt herself

And I laughed till I cried

She was always young at heart
Kinda dumb and kinda smart

and I loved her so

And I surprised her with a puppy
Kept me up all Christmas Eve

two years ago

And it would sure embarrass her
When I came in from workin' late

'Cause I would know

That she'd been sittin' there and cryin'
Over some sad and silly late, late show

And honey, I miss you
And I'm bein' good
And I'd love to be with you
If only I could

She wrecked the car and she was sad
And so afraid that I'd be mad

But what the heck

Though I pretended hard to be
Guess you could say she saw through me

And hugged my neck

I came home unexpectedly
And caught her cryin' needlessly

In the middle of the day

And it was in the early Spring
When flowers bloom and robins sing

She went away

And honey, I miss you
And I'm bein' good
If only I could

One day while I was not at home
While she was there and all alone

The angels came

Now all I have is memories of Honey
And I wake up nights

and call her name

Now my life's an empty stage
Where Honey lived and Honey played

And love grew up

And a small cloud passes overhead
And cries down on the flower bed

That Honey loved

And see the tree how big it's grown

It wasn't big

And I laughed at her and she got mad

was just a twig

======================

lyrics to the song "Honey"

by Bobby Goldsboro

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks Randy! :smile:

I can't tell you how many times you've touched my heart and stimulated my mind, being and spirit. God Bless You brother! :smile:

Thank You brother! :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

While early in this thread we learned of the some of feminine aspects of the Supreme Being. Here we see some more references to the Supreme as feminine. After which we see that in time EVEN WE may be responsible for reveling this emerging Supreme Being to others. If we ignore or fail to embrace the feminine aspects of the Supreme Being, how are we going to reveal the Supreme to others? :smile:

P.1452 - §2 "The wise man universalizes his heart. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Those who aspire to greatness must learn to humble themselves. In creation the Supreme became the world's mother. To know one's mother is to recognize one's sonship. He is a wise man who regards all parts from the point of view of the whole. Relate yourself to every man as if you were in his place. Recompense injury with kindness. If you love people, they will draw near you--you will have no difficulty in winning them.

P.644 - §1 Bear in mind, all that God the Father and his Paradise Sons do for us, we in turn and in spirit have the opportunity to do for and in the emerging Supreme Being. The experience of love, joy, and service in the universe is mutual. God the Father does not need that his sons should return to him all that he bestows upon them, but they do (or may) in turn bestow all of this upon their fellows and upon the evolving Supreme Being.

P.644 - §2 All creational phenomena are reflective of antecedent creator-spirit activities. Said Jesus, and it is literally true, "The Son does only those things which he sees the Father do." In time you mortals may begin the revelation of the Supreme to your fellows, and increasingly may you augment this revelation as you ascend Paradiseward. In eternity you may be permitted to make increasing revelations of this God of evolutionary creatures on supreme levels--even ultimate--as seventh-stage finaliters.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

A glimmer of a thought flashed past my brain, joer, as a result of reading these UB extracts on the heels of the song by Bobby Goldsboro, relating to this:
Quote:
In time you mortals may begin the revelation of the Supreme to your fellows, and increasingly may you augment this revelation as you ascend Paradiseward.

My thought is that in time women might be free to manifest their humility (that we have before God) also before men. But at this point, most men are so needy for any kind of supreme acknowledgement, they use it not only to fill the hole in their heart and soul but to feed their ego. Does that make sense to you?

In other words, I would love to be humble before men as a means of revealing the Supreme to my fellows, but I'll be damned if I want to be self-effacing when and where my humility is perceived as weakness and used as an excuse to walk all over me, or laugh at me. We are still so barbaric on this planet, most of our efforts to be loving and giving are taken as excuses to run us into the ground.

This lament well might work in reverse, too; as my Pappy used to say, "Give her an inch and she'll take a mile." Well, that is part of the human condition at this point in time. And none of us are capable of representing the entire Supreme Being by ourselves. Maybe this point can be recognized in
Quote:
See the tree, how big it's grown

It wasn't big

I laughed at her and she got mad

was just a twig

While we are here, we can plant a twig but we may not live long enough to swing from its branches.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I hear what your saying Gerdean. I think the time is coming when men will be secure in their maleness enough where they won't be threatened by a show of humility. And they will actually allow themselves to empathize with you instead of condemn you for being such a weakling.

The twig will grow into a tree. And even if we pass on before it is a tree perhaps we will be remembered as fondly as even Honey was remembered by her man who ridiculed her but at the same time loved her so deeply. As he remembers her he is overcome with emotion and I believe he sees her in anew light because the VALUE of who she REALLY WAS became more apparent to him now that she WAS GONE.

Quote:
That she'd been sittin' there and cryin'
Over some sad and silly late, late show

And honey, I miss you
And I'm bein' good
If only I could

It brought a tear to my eye and emotion of compassion to my heart. :smile

Thank You Gerdean :smile: For all the pain you have suffered at the hands of the over expressed male mystique and the positiveness to keep coming back and being the healing that we need.

Christ be with you. :smile

And May the attributes of our Mother Supreme become better known to us through YOU and all our Sisters here at Truthbook and beyond!. :smile: Amen/Awomen :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Howdy, folks.

Gerdean:
Quote:
But at this point, most men are so needy for any kind of supreme acknowledgement, they use it not only to fill the hole in their heart and soul but to feed their ego. Does that make sense to you?

It might if we change the word "men" to "humans".

Gerdean:
Quote:
In other words, I would love to be humble before men as a means of revealing the Supreme to my fellows, but I'll be damned if I want to be self-effacing when and where my humility is perceived as weakness and used as an excuse to walk all over me, or laugh at me.

So, you're not going to do the right thing for fear that someone might take it wrong?

151:1.2
"A sower went forth to sow, and it came to pass as he sowed that some seed fell by the wayside to be trodden underfoot and devoured by the birds of heaven. Other seed fell upon the rocky places where there was little earth, and immediately it sprang up because there was no depth to the soil, but as soon as the sun shone, it withered because it had no root whereby to secure moisture. Other seed fell among the thorns, and as the thorns grew up, it was choked so that it yielded no grain. Still other seed fell upon good ground and, growing, yielded, some thirtyfold, some sixtyfold, and some a hundredfold." And when he had finished speaking this parable, he said to the multitude, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gerdean says:
Quote:
While we are here, we can plant a twig but we may not live long enough to swing from its branches.

You Go Girlfriend! I would, perhaps, ask you to dance again as we did on that other thread. However, it might be more expedient to ask about this twig we are planting...could it grow into a mighty oak or would the maples pass laws to justify their hatchets, axes, and saws?

Joer,

Even though I remain a doubting Thomas, I am humble enough to learn from those who are better teacher(s) than I.

Arc Fixer says:

Quote:
So, you're not going to do the right thing for fear that someone might take it wrong?

Have you never felt that way, Arc? If so, then maybe you can put yourself in Gerdean's shoes for a little while. On another thread, John Lennon's song "Imagine" is being taken to task. He did not fear to do the right thing even though some might take it wrong.

Iris and Jak (Jo),

You can call me Randy if you want. Just don't call me late for dinner! :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Nice to meet you, Randy.

You can call me Jo (no e on the end...just plain 'ol Jo).

Quote:
Gerdean:
Quote:
But at this point, most men are so needy for any kind of supreme acknowledgement, they use it not only to fill the hole in their heart and soul but to feed their ego. Does that make sense to you?

I can't speak for Gerdean but I don't believe she was mis-speaking. Believe her point is well made...especially for this thread. I realize it's a generalization but an accurate one. Although...I have noticed that more of the younger males that I'm around "appear" a little less needy. Not many but more than before.

Hope springs eternal...or something like that.

Peace
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Howdy, folks.

Hi, Randy.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.

As to your question, I'm not really sure, one way or the other. I could have. I don't remember any specific instances. If there were, they didn't make much of an impression. Allowing that somewhere along the line I did experience such feelings, I'm certain it would be good council to do nothing to perpetuate them. I have my problems with the "right" thing to do part. I'm often up to my ears in doubt about what the "right" thing to do actually is, whether it be nothing or various degrees of action. Can we know enough about another person and their situation to arrive at a proper response through reason? Not likely. People are much too unpredictable. Such dilemmas can only be resolved by resort to our inner resources. Our connections to God. Our Thought Adjusters. The Spirit of Truth. The Spirit of Wisdom. The Spirit of Christ. And a few more to boot. There is no doubt that we have all the help we need, if we just turn to it. But still...At the moment of truth, it doesn't often seem easy. But sometimes, I am certain of my response. I am able to trust my inner resources and proceed. How someone's ego might react is certainly part of the picture, but Jesus taught us to make our appeals to the Spirit within.

No one said that living a life of spiritual value would always be easy. Moment by moment, we must weigh the merits of our choices on the Divine Scales which exist in each of us. And once we have reflected and are confident of our course, it is best to proceed without worries about the outcome. I seldom am certain about the outcome of my actions. But I am certain that by cooperating in good faith with the Spirits within me, whatever the outcome, I've done the best I can. I often feel that I'm just muddling through. But I almost always feel as though I'm muddling in the right direction. Even if at first glance it looks like I've gone and made a mess of things. But for the most part, things seem to work out better and go off in a different directions than I ever expected.

Thank God.

Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi y'all,

Jo, thanks. Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

And Arc, you said: So, you're not going to do the right thing for fear that someone might take it wrong?

I didn't say I wasn't going to do the right thing. Who's to say what the right thing is, in this nebulous, non-existent, barely hypothetical situation?

Somewhere in the text it makes reference to that time when we will not simply cease to do wrong, we will actually want to do right. But in between there is a gray area, and it is in that gray area that this chat falls. Generally speaking, men need constant approval. And generally speaking, women know this and so (A) they butter them up and flatter them (not excluding batting their eyelashes) or (B) they shut up a lot.

There are a lot of things I don't even bother bringing to my husband's attention because (1) he thinks that means he has to do something about it; (2) he does not want to hear what I am saying, so will sulk; (3) he uses it as an opportunity to let me know I don't know what I am talking about. Under those circumstances, I refrain from showering him with spiritual kudos of how righteous and glorious he is.

There are times, however, when I simply insist on being heard whether he likes it or not. I have to deal with his reaction. (a) I can tell him what I intend to do about it (there is no point whatsoever in telling him my position on it; he will take the other side almost unilaterally); (b) I tell him anyway and let him sulk. Often he will come back later and kiss me on the back of my neck when I am at the keyboard, to let me know he was ... overreacting; or (c) I will counter with a similarly assertive remark like, "up yours!" (Just kidding)

This is not unique to my spouse. It was true of my first husband as well, and he had me quite trained to kiss his behind. [This is the down side of the scriptures that tell women to obey their husband. People actually believe it and abide by such an absurd injunction!] It is also true of men in general, and when two men are joined together in holy conversation, it does not serve the interests of social harmony for a woman to interject her opinion.

Unless I am being a coquette (which I have not been for many years) or am specifically invited into the conversation, I will stay out of the way for fear of being walloped. It's just the fact, man, just the fact. Under the circumstances, if they don't want to hear me, what possible good would it serve to try to interject a photograph of the Supreme?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Howdy, folks.

Gerdean:
Quote:

It might if we change the word "men" to "humans".

Gerdean:
Quote:
In other words, I would love to be humble before men as a means of revealing the Supreme to my fellows, but I'll be damned if I want to be self-effacing when and where my humility is perceived as weakness and used as an excuse to walk all over me, or laugh at me.

Hey Arc, my brother, It’s great to see your post. I sincerely enjoy thinking about your happiness. It’s kind of neat when we get opportunities to LOVE and be LOVED.

Anyway I’m glad you have that new computer and are back on line and here at Truthbook. You really miss those GOOD PEOPLE whose communication you enjoy so much. That's how I've missed you. :smile:

I was writing a response to you last night. I fell asleep at the PC and woke up and shut everything down and lost it. I hate it when that happens. I had some good stuff going. I thought about it today too. I had some good thoughts going around in my head I thought would be a good way of sharing with you. Well I’ll start over and see what comes back to me. I read your post from today. Beautiful man. I think it will tie into this one too.

I was real glad to see yours and Randy’s posts yesterday. Thank you Randy. Thomas was a doubter and he brought about much good because of his questioning even as you do brother. I’ve learned at least as much from you and Arc, probably more and I appreciate your sharing. We need the male input now. We need contrast to better see the feminine picture. Gerdean’s post today provided some of that needed contrast. BUT YOURS ARC has some perfect perspectives to build understanding on.

What you say about changing “men” to “humans” is absolutely correct. The problem is that this world we live in is out of balance. The rest of the world is not living up to the ideal truth that you recognize. On this thread about the Value of the feminine in more completely understanding God, we are trying to recognize that imbalance and find the mutual understanding as Male and Female humans to see what is needed to bring the world into balance so they can be as egalitarian as you are Arc in their actions, views and respect for woman as “human beings” as they do for men.

Arc I know you are great at researching concepts and ideas. You know in the Bible the men (prophets and main leaders of God’s Chosen People) of the Bible through time have been remembered and put forth as the heroes of maintaining God’s principles here on earth. Whenever these principles were lost Men are recognized and accredited with bringing them back to the consciousness of human kind. Just off the top of your head do you think more women in the Bible are recognized for their undying faith and steadfast struggle to preserve God’s precepts and hold them in the minds of God’s people or more men?

Well about now you might see where I’m headed with this and might be getting bored and saying ,“Well what has that got to do with how women are treated today?” Then your mind might break out of it’s Good Old USA perspective and remember about how in the Middle East, Much of Central and South America, Much of Africa, China and many other countries, women may not be treated much better than they were in biblical times. Then you might think well at least in the western world they treated with equal respect just like any other “human”. But what about that Arc. How long have they been treated better and How much better are they treated? Are they respected on a par with men? Are they? Are they really?

My grandmother Dorothy Isabelle Berwick was born in Hanover New Hampshire in 1902. She lived long enough for me to know her. She was a very amazing women and my personality and character benefited much from knowing her. Do you know Arc I didn’t know until a few years ago that my grandmother wasn’t even allow to vote in this country until she was 25 or 26 years old. Do you know how bad I felt when I found that out. My grandmother was so intelligent, articulate, educated and wise It was an afront to me, years after she had passed away, to know that this women I so much admired WASN’T ALLOWED TO VOTE.

They weren’t allowed to vote in France until 1945 or 1946. How far do you think women have advanced in 60 years? The men have had thousands and thousands of years running the show. Do you think women have righted the imbalance of respect and consideration due women in a short 80 years or so in maybe a sixth of the world's population?

I mean it would seem logical to me that it may take a thousand years before they get the recognition and respect that they deserve. Wouldn’t you think that might be true Arc?

So now we’ve come round to your second remark.
Quote:

Again of course your remark is true in the sense of an ideal. We should support and love GOD even until physical death just like Jesus.

BUT what about the reality of the situation?
In the first world war less than 10% or 15% of the deaths attributable to war were women and children. Now in less than a hundred years. The percentage has risen to around 80% civilian deaths and 70% to 80% of those are women children and aged people. So for instance in Iraq your looking at almost 60% of all casualties, civilian and combatants combined are civilian women, children and the aged.

So the thing about FEAR for women is that death and the threat of physical violence they face is very real when compared to what men face, it’s much greater. Look at the percentage of deaths caused by men and women in the US and you’ll probably see men involved in 94% of more or the homicides in this nation. And the victims? I think you’ll notice that men kill many more women than women kill men. So the deadly threat that women face in men is much greater than that, that men face in women.

So the ideal you state while true doesn’t really take in consideration the perspective and deadly threat as well as the merely violent threat that woman face in men. And historically speaking we have a long ways to go in correct the imbalance in respect and consideration for women before our egalitarianism can be graceful accepted by our loving sisters who have put up with so much for so long while getting so little recognition in return.

Bless you Arc. And bless your loving heart. You couldn’t be where you are now if it wasn’t for the goodness of your heart. But women deserve all of the goodness and respect we can muster and much more. Remember Ester saving her people the chosen people of God from extermination about 512 years before Jesus? The feast of Purim came from this and is still celebrated today. As Jesus would teach, be sagacious as serpents and as harmless as Doves, and so she was as she saved her people then even as Jesus saved us for all eternity.

God Bless Ester and her Uncle Mordicai. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Let me say this about that. I have met Arc, and enjoyed him immensely. Even in the brief time we spent together it was apparent that he is a very sensitive fellow. Sorry, Arc. Didn't mean to speak to you in the third person. It was apparent as we visited and broke bread together that you are a very sensitive fellow, even while you have your feet on the ground. I would not feel threatened or intimidated by you at all, and that is to your singular individual credit. But I was speaking in huge generalities (even citing my own spouse in those generalities) and that is what we might call "insensitive" because it tends to want us to defend our own gender.

I hate it when my spouse (or anyone) lumps me in with all of womenkind, as if to say, "You women are all alike." For indeed, in many ways, we are all alike (but such a remark is usually meant to be demeaning). But there are degrees of experiential wisdom, innate intelligence, cultural conditioning, loyalties, alterior motives, etc., etc., etc., that are part of the human condition. And, in that, I reserve the right to maintain my individuality.

So I would likely not find favor with somebody who said all women are alike, just as I perceive you, Arc, took exception to my implication that all men are alike. That involves taking great license, which is too big a brush stroke to take in a conversation such as this. I did not mean to cast any negative aspersions on you, Arc, or any man here present.

Men and women frequently have no clue what the other is thinking or how they are reacting and yet they habitually presume to know much about the other that is totally fabricated. [See Rodan of Alexandria on The Art of Living] I suspect it can't be helped, since we will never fully understand each other, given that we think differently and have different responses, by and large, and unless and until we can rise above gender differences into realms of spirit-based communion, we will continue to run into this difficulty.

All that said, I stand by what I said. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I doubt this could be considered male input, but there is another song I'd like to bring up at this point called "Hell is for Children" by Pat Benatar. When this song first came out, its meaning was almost entirely misconstrued. Pat Benatar is an example of a woman who did the right thing even though it was taken wrong.

==================================

They cry in the dark, so you cant see their tears
They hide in the light, so you cant see their fears

Forgive and forget, all the while
Love and pain become one and the same
In the eyes of a wounded child

Because hell
Hell is for children
And you know that their little lives can become such a mess

Hell
Hell is for children
And you shouldnt have to pay for your love
with your bones and your flesh

Its all so confusing, this brutal abusing
They blacken your eyes, and then apologize
Youre daddys good girl, and dont tell mommy a thing
Be a good little boy, and youll get a new toy
Tell grandma you fell off the swing

Because hell
Hell is for children
And you know that their little lives can become such a mess

Hell
Hell is for children
And you shouldnt have to pay for your love
with your bones and your flesh

No, hell is for children

===============================

Indeed, children who are abused are in a kind of hell. Quite often, children who were abused grow up to adults who abuse their own kids in turn repeating the cycle. Thusly, we see that in this extreme example, doing to others that which you would not want done to yourself serves evil by corrupting the Golden Rule.

But mocking others, insulting others, ridiculing others. These things are also abuse. Abuse of a much lesser degree of course. But abuse none the less. Quite often on main stream media, these things are portrayed as being humorous. As long as they happen to someone else, it's funny. Not quite so funny when the shoe is on the other foot though.

There is no doubt in my mind that women have received abuse at the hands of men. Quite often men are unaware of the abuse they are inflicting upon women. But it isn't a one way street. Women can be just as abusive of men.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Yes, Randy, verbal abuse is still abuse. The nit-picking that goes on (in both/all directions) belittles and undermines self-esteem. Children reared in such a hellhole (and the adults as well) make poor choices and end up believing they are no good, just like they were told, and don't deserve any better. This is at the root of battery. This is not the way to attain light and life! Jesus promised to return self-respect to those who have lost it. Slam-dunking people is no way to treat a fellow human being. Race jokes, dumb blonde jokes, put downs of any kind are unacceptable.

When people are told often enough that they are stupid, retarded, inept, inadequate, ugly, undesirable, etc., they eventually begin to believe it of themselves. It is not uncommon for people with such a low opinion of themselves to indulge in drugs and alcohol for a sense of escape and/or artificial reality, which they perceived as a better reality than what they know. And as this continues, new generations of dysfunctional people come into being, live and die dysfunctional lives - lonely, outcast, defensive, afraid.

Here is where the rubber meets the road in terms of Fatherly love in the place of brotherly love ... or, in this thread ... Motherly love. Our world, it seems -- if it has any love at all -- knows "tough love" rather than that of the "benign virus" -- where they go around slapping people up side the head, telling them to not be so stooopid. That's not love; it's more abuse!

A lot of abuse goes on in the guise of social banter. It is glossed over in the name of being hip slick and cool, but it is cruel and thoughtless. The children see it, absorb it, learn it, behave like it, and the cycle repeats itself through sheer ignorance. Each of us needs to say, "the buck stops here." It's time we made an attempt to treat each man, each woman, each child as if s/he were our Parent's own ... "Behold your brother. Behold your mother." And put some love in it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next