Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:51 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted:  

Hello all,

It has been some time since my last postings here and that has been largely because I wanted to read more of the book in hopes of answering my own questions. But there in lies the problem. Now that i have more knowlege of the book since I have now read parts 3 & 4 and starting part 1 more questions come up.

does anyone have any advise on quieting our inner voice? so many times I find myself coming up with nice postcard answers to my trivial little problems in life and I know it's all based off of the new found knowledge that I have gained from the Urantia book. Although I have read all of part 3 and read the thought adjuster papers several times I know that the thoughts i have are NOT the thought adjusters and I know they are my own thoughts based off of my comprehension level of what I consider right or wrong NOT WHAT IS RIGHT as in the case of the thought adjusters work.

I want to know how to quiet my thoughts and allow the thought adjuster to fill my spiritual container full of truth and instinctively allow what is right to rule my world. I have so many problems that I never knew I had until the UB but I know that it's not as important of what I am today as is important of what I am stiving to become everyday. I love that my thoughts about our father, and Jesus, and serving all mankind are present with me every day now where as before the UB they never came into play unless I was asked the ole "hey do you believe in god question" then I could go on for hours about how clever my opinion on god was... Silly rabbit tricks were for kids, and now I feel a spiritual maturity level and know that all peoples beliefs on god are only limited to their individual complrehension levels. :!:

Anway enough rambling thank you for your time brothers and sisters

Peace and love to us all
Love brother Dave!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Brother Dave, (I feel like I'm talking to myself!) it has been my perception that when my TA has something for me, it comes as a complete package, a sort of instant understanding of something, and not any kind of "voice". I suspect the voices that are raised, and from our rebellious minds, not wanting to open to new ideas. Mine have quieted down over time, as I suspect will yours. I believe this is really a sign of growth, and nothing to worry about.

IMHO,

Bro Dave also! :mrgreen:

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Howdy Bro Dave and Bro Dave! :smile:

I feel like I'm talking to twins. :smile:

Brother Dave, What Bro Dave says is True and correct. Additionally I would try praying. Pray, Pray and Pray some more until you get an answer.

Lord clear my thoughts. Lord make your thoughts my thoughts. Oh Holy Spirit guide me in all I do. Lord God Father and Mother of humankind guide my thoughts so as to allow me to do your Will. Amen.

Stuff like that, but that comes from you.

When you petition God your are aligning yourself with your thought adjuster. The intent in your heart, the will in your spirit, the focus in your mind are integrated in Prayer and through the help of the Holy Spirit in conjunction with your thought adjuster I imagine, your prayer will rise to God.

I prayed once to get "bad" thoughts out of my mind. I prayed that every time I had them that God help me to get them out of my mind. It was a difficult struggle but little by little I could see the improvement and even though I might still occasionally have one, at the time I was having them constantly all day.

After about six months in a moment when I was alone, relaxing in a recliner with my eyes closed my communication about my problem came. I rejected it saying it won't work and I got it again with the clarification that I should do what I was supposed to do as long as I had to even if I had to do it my whole life. Because it was the right thing for me to do to remain true to God and myself.

It helped. After six months of intense and focus and heartfelt prayer the thoughts subsided rather quickly. The resolution I got wasn't just getting rid of the thoughts it was a resolution to the problem that was causing the thoughts. It wasn't what I was praying for, BUT it was what I needed.

:smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I love this topic and could talk endlessly about it because I've finally learned how to do what you are seeking to do. Joer has come the closest with this statement:
Quote:
The resolution I got wasn't just getting rid of the thoughts it was a resolution to the problem that was causing the thoughts.

To hear the voice of God within us, we don't have to stop thinking. Some meditative methods try to teach us to stop our minds. There is no way we can stop our minds. To attempt it would be like trying to stop a locomotive with a your hand. The goal is to allow our thoughts to be guided, perpetually seeking the higher mind.

It was the discovery of the higher mind that clinched it for me as well as the realization that the Spirit of Truth resides there. Michael is the way to the Thought Adjuster, whether we talk to him directly or not, he is the intermediary to the superconscious. We only have the subconscious, which we are mostly unconscious of, the conscious and the superconscious, which is also mostly unconscious, to work with.

The conscious mind has many levels, as we know by reading about the adjutants. The Holy Spirit is the highest level of conscious mind, the supermind, which is where practical spiritual teaching and guidance takes place. And, the teaching is usually insight into behavior or attitudes which impede the flow of truth, beauty and goodness. Or more specifically, where attitudes which enable the bringing of love to life, especially between ourselves and others, are en-lighted. This is the place where light bulbs go on.

The easiest way to get there is prayer. I begin with thanksgiving and then, as Joer says, humbly ask for assistance and believe like a little child that there is a Spirit who loves me beyond compare, ready to help me with even the most mundane. Then, I allow myself to relax and be led.

It helps me sometimes to think of myself swimming in the ocean of life surrounded by all of my beach balls of worry, concern, and fear. As I bob around in the ocean, my attention is grabbed by all of these things and I can focus on them using the lower mind, my emotions and patterns of behavior I have learned.

But, if I pull my consciousness up and look at myself from above and see myself bobbing in the ocean surrounded by life's concerns, I realize that I have now removed myself and my thoughts from interacting with them directly. Once in this frame of mind, flying above in the safety of the Holy Spirit, my higher mind, I realize that my copilot is the Spirit of Truth, who is capable of analyzing and solving all of those problems below.

I pick one of the concerns and hand it over to Michael and wait for him to reveal the truth about it. It often results in a dialogue with him. I ask a lot of questions sometimes. It's being quiet and giving him a chance to speak which takes discipline, trust and a wholehearted, sincere desire to know the truth. It takes a willingness to accept that my attitude may be wrong and I need correction. I have found that if I am not sincere and honest, I can fool myself about the answer because I am not really listening, but still full of my own ideas and ego.

Many people believe that this level is the Thought Adjuster, but it is not. The next level up is the Thought Adjuster. To find the superconscious level, I must become aware of myself being taught new truth. It is the realization of this revelation of truth which fills me with joy and a new level of gratitude. I am then naturally drawn to the superconscious where I am able to experience true worship and contact with the Father. This occurs when I finally accept that particular truth, own it, act upon it and believe it with a whole heart. It is being one with the Father's will on that particular issue. And trust me, it is a sublime experience.

It is through Michael and his Spirit of Truth that this occurs. Michael is the Master of human emotions and his Infinite Spirit is the Mother of our minds and the mind is the gateway to the soul. Together they know how to help us. It is their job and joy to minister to their children. As we open ourselves more and more to this process, we become co-creative with them in making our lives new, full of truth, beauty and goodness.

I've only scraped the surface of this topic. I could go on for pages and pages with personal experiences and revelations about the process. It is very simple and you do not stop thinking, ever. You gradually shift personality dominance from being the person floating in the water, to the person flying above with the Master and soaring down to earth only to touch it with love. Actually, this is only in the way you think about things. You should never actually try to separate yourself from the world, but bring love to it.

I hope this is clear. I'm sure it will open a debate since everybody's spiritual life is somewhat different. I'm sharing what has worked for me and it has worked very, very well so far. It's only imagery I'm trying to portray here, not any kind of dogma. I know the UB can be interpreted in various ways. To me, the details are not as important as the process.

God Bless, Iris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Bro Dave, Thank you for your insight it is encouraging to know that the voice will quiet down over time. Thank you for your help.

Joer, your suggestion of prayer is just what I needed to hear thank you brother. Also I could not have thought of a nicer prayer than the one you offered I will most likely feel exactly what you have allready said so I'm sure my prayer will be similar to what you gave me. Thank you for your help brother I always look forward to your replies.

Iris, WOW I can see your passion on this subject and I am lucky to have a great response from someone who such great passion on this subject. I love what you said: [The easiest way to get there is prayer. I begin with thanksgiving and then, as Joer says, humbly ask for assistance and believe like a little child that there is a Spirit who loves me beyond compare, ready to help me with even the most mundane. Then, I allow myself to relax and be led. ] that was right on the money and thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you all so much for your contribution on this subject because I really needed some help here. Thank you brothers and sisters.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

you guys are the best I love this community! How awesome is it to know that we are all on the same path? and the ones who are further can give advise and share their experiences, while the ones just starting on the path can take comfort in knowing that the brothers and sisters here as well as jesus all started on this path and have the wisdom to teach as long as we can listen.

Today is going to be another GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE thanks to all who make this possible.

I always remember this little saying when it comes to spirituality and religion since its such a touchy subject for so many people, and I would like to share this with all of you and hopefully we can all keep this in mind when trying to share a religious experience or give some spiritual advise.

Quote:
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care!

I allready feel so much love from all of you and it's just great I want to thank you all for being alive!

Brother Joer I trully believe that you are another one of gods gifts for those of us newly on the path!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Bro, Bro and Iris,

Peace be with you my friends. Brother-Dave I'm so moved by your personality and character. Along with all the others here. It is a joy and comfort to be able to have the Love and support one finds at this site.

I like your statement and thanks for the kudos.
Quote:
Brother Joer I truly believe that you are another one of gods gifts for those of us newly on the path!

We ARE all gifts from God for each other. :-)

You and Iris and Bro-Dave like so many others here, have been and are gifts for me.

I so enjoy your energy and enthusiasm. Iris' profundity of spirituality and ability and effort to express and share it with us. Bro-Dave's constant positive support to all God's children.

We are teachers and students of each other's spirituality. :smile:

Thank You and Bless you my lovely brothers and sisters in GOD. :smile:

Thank you Lord for the gifts of my brothers and sisters, that you have given me.
:smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

brother_dave,

Thanks for this one, it's a real keeper:
Quote:
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care!

I think that this is at the root of the realization I had when I learned the difference between trying to live according the words of Christ and living Christ's words. Once I established an intimate and personal relationship with him and realized how much he loves me, his words took on an entirely new meaning. Knowledge and experience are not always the same thing. But once you experience something, you know it and want to share it because you care.

It's hard to put across personality in these forums and let people know how much you care without being sappy. But passion comes through sometimes, whether it be passion about a particular topic, passion about finding the truth, or passion for helping others; it doesn't really matter that much to me as long as it is a passion of love, desire, eagerness and enthusiasm for Spirit. Because life is an evolution of Spirit dominance and life never ends for those who passionately seek it.

Iris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Iris wrote:
But, if I pull my consciousness up and look at myself from above and see myself bobbing in the ocean surrounded by life's concerns, I realize that I have now removed myself and my thoughts from interacting with them directly. Once in this frame of mind, flying above in the safety of the Holy Spirit, my higher mind, I realize that my copilot is the Spirit of Truth, who is capable of analyzing and solving all of those problems below.

I hope this is clear. I'm sure it will open a debate since everybody's spiritual life is somewhat different. I'm sharing what has worked for me and it has worked very, very well so far. It's only imagery I'm trying to portray here, not any kind of dogma. I know the UB can be interpreted in various ways. To me, the details are not as important as the process.

God Bless, Iris

Well hello there, "Jersey" girl :roll:

You might have moved out of NJ too early....we all have a WAY different attitude towards "imagination" than you do...but that's a whole other topic on "limiting the self-assertiveness" of any group of self-proclaimed "chosen" person over another....

When it comes to "mind", here's something you might find interesting - Page 738 - "...And if Urantia were operating more in accordance with original plans, you would observe even less to arrest your attention in the phenomenon of mind...."

Fair notice, Iris, about "normal".

Jersey girls aren't about to let the quality and frequency and interpretation of psychotic episodes become the defacto criteria for spirit reception.

Page 740 - "...Physical status may handicap mind, and mental perversity may delay spiritual attainment, but none of these obstacles can defeat the whole-souled choice of will....."

Lazy animal minds like to be "led"....I can get a smart dog to learn how to interpret my hand motions to learn the difference between handing me the hammer or handing me the screwdriver :wink: Dogsitting an untrained Jack Russell could have been a lot harder if I allowed myself to be led by the dog O:)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Iris
Quote:
To hear the voice of God within us, we don't have to stop thinking. Some meditative methods try to teach us to stop our minds. There is no way we can stop our minds. To attempt it would be like trying to stop a locomotive with a your hand. The goal is to allow our thoughts to be guided, perpetually seeking the higher mind.

Observe from wiki; :arrow: Meditation

In mindfulness meditation, the meditator sits comfortably and silently, centering attention by focusing awareness on an object or process (either the breath, a sound: a mantra, koan or riddle evoking questions; a visualisation, or an exercise). The meditator is usually encouraged to maintain an open focus:

... shifting freely from one perception to the next... No thought, image or sensation is considered an intrusion. The meditator, with a 'no effort' attitude, is asked to remain in the here and now. Using the focus as an 'anchor'... brings the subject constantly back to the present, avoiding cognitive analysis or fantasy regarding the contents of awareness, and increasing tolerance and relaxation of secondary thought processes.

I practice meditation daily and the art of not thinking is one that develops slowly with practice. Some folks experience faintness, headaches and nausea at first until the body becomes accustomed to the exercise.

With repeated practice all that is required to be at peace is 10 to 15 minutes a day of mediation. Good for the soul :smile: .

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hello All,

Just FYI - This is an excellent article regarding meditation - specifically, the type of meditation that Jesus used. It is a whole new look at this very useful practice...

www.truthbook.com/urantia_book_commenta ... -book.html

Maryjo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quieting the mind is a common struggle.

In addition to the already mentioned suggestions, it is beneficial to consciously direct our thoughts by focusing on something specific as we go about our daily living.

The fact that our mind wanders is suggestive of our need for productive thought.

I like to live in love while relating living experiences to my ever-progressing concepts of truth, beauty, and goodness.

Peace unto all, beloved children of the Supreme Being.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Hello All,

Just FYI - This is an excellent article regarding meditation - specifically, the type of meditation that Jesus used. It is a whole new look at this very useful practice...

www.truthbook.com/urantia_book_commenta ... -book.html

Maryjo

Bottom line is what you actually end up doing to another after meditating on it. 8)

We have heard over and over and over and over and over and over again how unshakeably people believe that "god" told them to go to war...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks for the link, maryjo.
I really needed a fresh perspective on this.

Peace
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Jo and All,

Jesus is nothing if not sensible...he, of course understood the presence of God-within, and that Father is always revealing himself in the still-small voice. He had conversations with God. When he was a little boy he told his parents he was just having a little talk with his heavenly Father. And I am sure that by the time he grew up, he was having great talks with God. And I think we can all learn to do that.

What I learned was that meditation is best when active, using the thought processes, and consciously attuning to the super-conscious - best when done alone and quietly, as Jesus always did.

I like the part in the UBook about the "alter-ego." An excellent and valuable read...I have taken it to heart, and I consider the times I have conversations with my alter ego to be very refreshing and very natural. The way I see it, since I have consecrated my will to God, and I know that a fragment of God indwells my mind, it feels safe to trust my thoughts more and more, so these conversations become, in my childish mind, conversations with Dad. But the best ones are the conscious ones, and I feel like that is a true meditation in itself.

I always have had a hard time with the discipline of conventional meditation techniques, and I get so sleepy...this article hit a chord with me, undisciplined wretch that I am...HAHA!

By the way - Fetish, if a still-small voice I heard in meditation told me hurt people I would seriously doubt it was the voice of God.

maryjo

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next