Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Father's Name
PostPosted:  

Greetings everyone and Happy Holidays,
These last few days I have found myself returning to the beginning of the UB and re-reading Paper #1... "The Universal Father" . Upon this return I was struck with the revelation from section 1 "The Father's Name" .

I remember back in 1998-99 I was heavily into what is called "The Sacred Name Movement" where the main emphasis was on the (true) NAME of God ( YHWH . It was taught that the God of the Bible had a name, and that it wasn't God or Lord, as these were tltles, and being 'titles' they did not distinquish Him from among the other 'gods' who had names.
Example...
In Exodus 5:1-2 we read the following...
Quote:
Afterward Moses and Aaron went and said to Pharaoh, "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, 'Let my people go, that they may hold a feast to me in the wilderness.'" But Pharaoh said, "Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice and let Israel go? I do not know the LORD, and moreover, I will not let Israel go."

Notice that the "LORD" is the "God" of Israel. Here Israel is represented by a 'god'... "the God of Israel" Now Pharaoh asks,
""Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice and let Israel go?... and Pharaoh further says, "I do not know the LORD"

Now to read this in our Bibles we come away, like Pharaoh, with no distintion of who this God is. "Who is the LORD", "I do not know the LORD" Why is this???

Following an ancient tradition begun by the first translations of the Hebrew Scriptures (the Septuagint) and followed by the vast majority of English tranlations, the distinctive Hebrew name for God (usually transliterated Jehovah or Yahweh ) is in most Bibles represented by LORD ( Adonai ). So, in actuality the translators have removed the "sacred name" YHWH and have replaced it with LORD thus confusing the text(s) to any identification.

If we now re-read the text in Exodus 5:1-2 with the Name inserted we get a much clearer translation as to identification.
Quote:
"Afterward Moses and Aaron went and said to Pharaoh, "Thus says Yahweh , the God of Israel, 'Let my people go, that they may hold a feast to me in the wilderness.'" But Pharaoh said, "Who is Yahweh , that I should obey his voice and let Israel go? I do not know Yahweh , and moreover, I will not let Israel go."

Here Pharoah clearly upon hearing the name "Yahweh" (YHWH) acknowledges he does not know him. The KJV as well as others give no distinctions.

That being said... I found it most interesting that the UB does NOT place such emphasis on the NAME of God as do many in Christendom. In fact, it appears, as far as I can see now, that God the Father has no particular Name by which He has revealed Himself.
Quote:
1:1.1 The First Source and Universe Center has never revealed himself by name, only by nature.

Now that is quite interesting. There are many who are convinced that the God of the Old Testament, also distinquished as "the Father", has revealed His name.
Quote:
" I am Yahweh; that is my name , my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols." (Isaiah 42:8)

Quote:
"Yahweh is a man of war: Yahweh is his name " (Exodus 15:3)

According to the UB any NAMES assigned to the Creator are creature oriented.
Quote:
1:1.1 The names which the creature assigns to the Creator are much dependent on the creature's concept of the Creator.

Quote:
1:1.1 If we believe that we are the children of this Creator, it is only natural that we should eventually call him Father. But this is the name of our own choosing , and it grows out of the recognition of our personal relationship with the First Source and Center.

That being the case that the Father is distinquished by the NAMES in which his children call him, the UB has much to say about what those in the other universes, including ours, call the First Source.
Quote:
1:1.4 Near the center of the universe of universes, the Universal Father is generally known by names which may be regarded as meaning the First Source. Farther out in the universes of space, the terms employed to designate the Universal Father more often mean the Universal Center. Still farther out in the starry creation, he is known, as on the headquarters world of your local universe, as the First Creative Source and Divine Center. In one near-by constellation God is called the Father of Universes. In another, the Infinite Upholder [b], and to the east, [b] the Divine Controller. He has also been designated the Father of Lights, the Gift of Life, and the All-powerful One.

1:1.5 On those worlds where a Paradise Son has lived a bestowal life, God is generally known by some name indicative of personal relationship, tender affection, and fatherly devotion. On your constellation headquarters God is referred to as the Universal Father , and on different planets in your local system of inhabited worlds he is variously known as the Father of Fathers, the Paradise Father, the Havona Father, and the Spirit Father. Those who know God through the revelations of the bestowals of the Paradise Sons, eventually yield to the sentimental appeal of the touching relationship of the creature-Creator association and refer to God as "our Father."

1:1.6 On a planet of sex creatures, in a world where the impulses of parental emotion are inherent in the hearts of its intelligent beings, the term Father becomes a very expressive and appropriate name for the eternal God. He is best known, most universally acknowledged, on your planet, Urantia, by the name God...

After reading of all the different NAMES assigned to the "First Source amd Cause" by His creatures, it is very naive on the part of Christendom to think that the sole Name for the Father is "Yahweh" But as long as individuals refuse to look 'beyond the Bible" for further revelation, these things will remain unknown.
Quote:
1:1.6 The name he is given is of little importance; the significant thing is that you should know him and aspire to be like him. Your prophets of old truly called him "the everlasting God" and referred to him as the one who "inhabits eternity."

That all being said... what do we do now about Revelation 14:1, 22:4???
Merry Christmas
Hank

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Hank,

For many years I thought that it was important to use the name Jehovah when addressing the Father. There are four places in the old testament where the King James version uses the name Jehovah. You find the name at Exodus 6:3, Isa 12:2, Isa 26:4 and Psalm 83:18. The name should have appeared many thousands of times in other old testament passages. Typically, where the words Lord God has been capitalized is where the word Jehovah has been substituted for Lord or Lord God.

The Jehovah's Witnesses insist that the name Jehovah is God's name and that for one to truly have an intimate personal relationship with God one must use that personal name. I have no objection if a person feels compelled to use that name, but our Father is pleased when we try to achieve communion with him, regardless of what appellation we use.

The name Jehovah or Yahweh literally means: "he who causes to become." I certainly agree with that description of our Father, but it is certainly not his only description.

On earth we call our earthly fathers Dad out of respect for them. Even adult children still continue to call their parents either Mom or Dad. (there are some exceptions to that rule of course) So, if we assume that God's name is Jehovah, calling on him by using that name will not act as a magic elixir to get his attention. God loves all of his children equally, regardless of what name they use when they call on him.

What I didn't realize is that I was taking an elitist position. I supposed that by calling on the name Jehovah that I had access to God above all others. Of course, such a notion is foolishness, but each person needs to make their own spiritual journey to discover that. Otherwise, there is no way that a Jehovah's Witness would ever listen to reason on this, since they consider every word in the scriptures to be God's word.

Mr. Shakita

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In my seminary training (liberal Methodist) they emphasized that Jesus had called his Father "Abba" in the Aramaic texts. This translates best to "daddy". From the exhalted to the familiar. Doesn't the UB give us all of that spectrum and more when discussing God? Wouldn't it be wonderful to have such a relationship with God that you could comforably call him Abba, Daddy instead of Father?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]