Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: THE MASTER SPEAKS
PostPosted:  
NO CLARIFICATION NECESSARY

INSTRUCTIONS FOR TEACHERS AND BELIEVERS

159:3.1 At Edrei, where Thomas and his associates labored, Jesus spent a day and a night and, in the course of the evening's discussion, gave expression to the principles which should guide those who preach truth, and which should activate all who teach the gospel of the kingdom. Summarized and restated in modern phraseology, Jesus taught:

Always respect the personality of man. Never should a righteous cause be promoted by force; spiritual victories can be won only by spiritual power. This injunction against the employment of material influences refers to psychic force as well as to physical force. Overpowering arguments and mental superiority are not to be employed to coerce men and women into the kingdom. Man's mind is not to be crushed by the mere weight of logic or overawed by shrewd eloquence. While emotion as a factor in human decisions cannot be wholly eliminated, it should not be directly appealed to in the teachings of those who would advance the cause of the kingdom. Make your appeals directly to the divine spirit that dwells within the minds of men. Do not appeal to fear, pity, or mere sentiment. In appealing to men, be fair; exercise self-control and exhibit due restraint; show proper respect for the personalities of your pupils. Remember that I have said: "Behold, I stand at the door and knock, and if any man will open, I will come in."

In bringing men into the kingdom, do not lessen or destroy their self-respect. While overmuch self-respect may destroy proper humility and end in pride, conceit, and arrogance, the loss of self-respect often ends in paralysis of the will. It is the purpose of this gospel to restore self-respect to those who have lost it and to restrain it in those who have it. Make not the mistake of only condemning the wrongs in the lives of your pupils; remember also to accord generous recognition for the most praiseworthy things in their lives. Forget not that I will stop at nothing to restore self-respect to those who have lost it, and who really desire to regain it.

Take care that you do not wound the self-respect of timid and fearful souls. Do not indulge in sarcasm at the expense of my simple-minded brethren. Be not cynical with my fear-ridden children. Idleness is destructive of self-respect; therefore, admonish your brethren ever to keep busy at their chosen tasks, and put forth every effort to secure work for those who find themselves without employment.

Never be guilty of such unworthy tactics as endeavoring to frighten men and women into the kingdom. A loving father does not frighten his children into yielding obedience to his just requirements.

Sometime the children of the kingdom will realize that strong feelings of emotion are not equivalent to the leadings of the divine spirit. To be strongly and strangely impressed to do something or to go to a certain place, does not necessarily mean that such impulses are the leadings of the indwelling spirit. Forewarn all believers regarding the fringe of conflict which must be traversed by all who pass from the life as it is lived in the flesh to the higher life as it is lived in the spirit. To those who live quite wholly within either realm, there is little conflict or confusion, but all are doomed to experience more or less uncertainty during the times of transition between the two levels of living. In entering the kingdom, you cannot escape its responsibilities or avoid its obligations, but remember: The gospel yoke is easy and the burden of truth is light.

The world is filled with hungry souls who famish in the very presence of the bread of life; men die searching for the very God who lives within them. Men seek for the treasures of the kingdom with yearning hearts and weary feet when they are all within the immediate grasp of living faith. Faith is to religion what sails are to a ship; it is an addition of power, not an added burden of life. There is but one struggle for those who enter the kingdom, and that is to fight the good fight of faith. The believer has only one battle, and that is against doubt—unbelief.

In preaching the gospel of the kingdom, you are simply teaching friendship with God. And this fellowship will appeal alike to men and women in that both will find that which most truly satisfies their characteristic longings and ideals. Tell my children that I am not only tender of their feelings and patient with their frailties, but that I am also ruthless with sin and intolerant of iniquity. I am indeed meek and humble in the presence of my Father, but I am equally and relentlessly inexorable where there is deliberate evil-doing and sinful rebellion against the will of my Father in heaven.

You shall not portray your teacher as a man of sorrows. Future generations shall know also the radiance of our joy, the buoyance of our good will, and the inspiration of our good humor. We proclaim a message of good news which is infectious in its transforming power. Our religion is throbbing with new life and new meanings. Those who accept this teaching are filled with joy and in their hearts are constrained to rejoice evermore. Increasing happiness is always the experience of all who are certain about God.

Teach all believers to avoid leaning upon the insecure props of false sympathy. You cannot develop strong characters out of the indulgence of self-pity; honestly endeavor to avoid the deceptive influence of mere fellowship in misery. Extend sympathy to the brave and courageous while you withhold overmuch pity from those cowardly souls who only halfheartedly stand up before the trials of living. Offer not consolation to those who lie down before their troubles without a struggle. Sympathize not with your fellows merely that they may sympathize with you in return.

When my children once become self-conscious of the assurance of the divine presence, such a faith will expand the mind, ennoble the soul, reinforce the personality, augment the happiness, deepen the spirit perception, and enhance the power to love and be loved.

Teach all believers that those who enter the kingdom are not thereby rendered immune to the accidents of time or to the ordinary catastrophes of nature. Believing the gospel will not prevent getting into trouble, but it will insure that you shall be unafraidwhen trouble does overtake you. If you dare to believe in me and wholeheartedly proceed to follow after me, you shall most certainly by so doing enter upon the sure pathway to trouble. I do not promise to deliver you from the waters of adversity, but I do promise to go with you through all of them.

And much more did Jesus teach this group of believers before they made ready for the night's sleep. And they who heard these sayings treasured them in their hearts and did often recite them for the edification of the apostles and disciples who were not present when they were spoken.

Just a reminder. O:)

Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

this is one of my favorite parts of the whole book........thanks for the reminder! After all it is almost "Christmas"!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

ALOHA Brothers :mrgreen:

The Son of GOD and The Son of Man . 8) The FOG & the BOM / = THE FATHERHOOD OF GOD AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF MAN O:)

LOVE one another as I AM have / do LOVE You . JESUS the Nazarene :wink:

WWJD :?: / or What will you do ?

Jesus/ Christ Michael Revealed GOD to Mankind an Mankind to GOD In him ,/ through the Father within him / TA / His life in the Flesh And Spirit . Michael Blessed Us ALL with His Spirit of Truth . As it is as it Shall be done in Fathers Will be Done . I AM = LOVE

"After my departure there will arise the ignorant and the crafty, and many things will they ascribe unto Me that I never spake, and many things which I did speak will they withhold, but the day will come when the clouds shall be rolled away, and the Sun of Righteousness shall shine forth with healing in his wings"
~Jesus, The Essene Gospel of Peace

From the Planet of the Cross
Three little trees

Once upon a mountain top, three little trees stood and dreamed of what they wanted to become when they grew up. The first little tree looked at the stars and said, "I want to hold treasure. I want to be covered with gold and filled with precious stones. I will be the most beautiful treasure chest in the world!"

The second little tree looked out at the small stream trickling by on its way to the ocean. "I want to be traveling mighty waters and carrying powerful kings. I'll be the strongest ship in the world!"

The third little tree looked down into the valley below where busy men and women worked in a busy town. "I don't want to leave the mountain top at all. I want to grow so tall that when people look at me, they'll raise their eyes to heaven and think of God. I will be the tallest tree in the world!"

Years passed. The rains came, the sun shone and the three littletrees grew tall. One day three woodcutters climbed the mountain. The first woodcutter looked at the first little tree and said, "This tree is beautiful. It is perfect for me." With a swoop of his shining axe, the first tree fell. "Now, I shall be made into a beautiful chest; I shall hold wonderful treasures!", said the first little tree.

The second woodcutter looked at the second little tree and said, "This tree is strong, it is perfect for me." With a swoop of his shining axe, the second tree fell. "Now I shall sail mighty waters," thought the second tree, "I shall be a strong ship for mighty kings."

The third tree felt her heart sink when the last woodcutter looked at her. She stood straight and tall and pointed bravely to heaven. But the woodcutter never even looked up. "Any kind of tree will do for me," he muttered. With a swoop of his shining axe, the third little tree fell.

The first tree rejoiced when the woodcutter brought her to the carpenter's shop, but the carpenter fashioned her into a feedbox for animals. The once beautiful tree was not covered with gold nor with treasure. She was coated in sawdust and filled with hay for hungry farm animals.

The second tree smiled when the woodcutter took her to a shipyard, but no mighty sailing ship was made that day. Instead, the once strong tree was hammered and sawed into a simple fishing boat. She was too small and too weak to sail an ocean, or even a river. Instead, she was taken to a little lake.

The third tree was confused when the woodcutter cut her into long, strong beams and left her in a lumberyard. "What happened," the once tall tree wondered, "All I ever wanted was to stay on the mountain top and point to God."

Many, many days and nights passed. The three little trees nearly forgot their dreams. But one night, golden starlight poured over the first little tree as a woman placed her newborn baby in the feedbox. "I wish I could make a cradle for him," her husband whispered. The mother squeezed his hand and smiled as the starlight shone on the smooth sturdy wood. "This manger is beautiful!", she said. And suddenly the first little tree knew that he was holding the greatest treasure in the world!

One evening a tired traveler and his friends crowded into the simple fishing boat. The traveler fell asleep as the second little tree sailed quietly into the lake. Soon a thundering and thrashing storm arose. The little tree shuddered, she knew she did not have the strength to carry so many passengers safely through the wind and rain. The tired man awakened, He stood up, stretched out his hand and said, "Peace." The storm stopped as quickly as it had begun. And suddenly the second little tree knew that he was carrying the King of Heaven and Earth.

Then on Friday morning, the third little tree was startled when her long strong beams were yanked from the forgotten woodpile. She flinched as she was carried through an angry jeering crowd. She shuddered when soldiers nailed a man's hands to her. She felt ugly, harsh and cruel. But on Sunday morning, when the sun rose and the earth trembled with joy beneath her, and the third little tree knew that God's love had changed everything. It made the third little tree tall and strong. And every time people thought about the third little tree, they would think of God. That was better than being the tallest tree in the world!

So the next time you feel down because you didn't get what you wanted, just sit tight and be happy because God is thinking of something better to give you!

Unknown Author

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Uuuhh yeah,

Merry Christmas

Last edited by Woody on Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:05 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

:?:

Merry Christmass

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Interesting. Poster guidelines mention that using multiple identities on the discussion list is reason for suspension of posting rights. Let's hope that's not going on here.

L. Watkins

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

My Public Confession

Mr Natural { Was } As He no longer Is . A False Muse Persona of Me , Coops / Own Error of Thot. To the Admin Staff / I have allready done so/ Confessed to My Brothers Arc & Larry. I have been given my Penance & their Mercy as well . I Thank them Both .

To the Members & Guests At Truthbook / I am Sorry and Just Hope You all , Can find it within your hearts & Spirits , To Forgive my Error . As I Do Love & Have Much Respect For You All . Everyone . I Was Wrong . Period . There Is no Right Way to Do the Wrong Thing . And No Excusess can Justify my Error .

I am Sorry , but Woody is Correct. I was Aka Mr Natch .
Ps. Thank you Woody for your Understanding Spirit. My Intent was Good , but went awry/ wrong according to the Forum Rules . The thing I do feel bad about it all , is that I was not honest with you All . Forgive me for that . As I am sorry if I have Offended Anyone . My Error in Judgement , was not a excuse for what I have Done . My only Intent was to Tell the Good News , Anew , as a fresh Face .

I am at your Mercy , The Stockaid , 20 Lashes , Walk the Plank . Community Service .

As of this moment Mr Natural Has left the Bld along with Elvis and Santas Elfs. Never to be again . Giveing a Gift / Truth , to someone & Saying its from someone else, may not be wrong , per say . Yet it is Not the Truth .

Peace on Earth , Goodwill towards Man .
WWJD ?
Love You ALL
Cooper

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
Mohandas K. Gandhi:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

........what an awesome understanding of the
human soul, mind, psyche.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi --
I think as public penance you should have to post a cowboy poem in that topic in Abner's.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Just as Jesus was known by many names and appellations -- Jesus, the Babe of Bethlehem, Joshua ben Joseph, the Capernaum Boatbuilder, the Scribe of Damascus, the man from Galilee -- a rose by any other name is still a rose. And Coop, by any other name, is still Coop.

I recognized your style, immediately, Coop. :P

I said, "This is Coop, isn't it?" 8)

and I looked to confirm my conviction. :arrow:

When I read "Mr. Natural" :shock:

I was not convinced. :?:

I said, "Naw, that is Coop in disguise."

You can't get away from yourself Coop. :razz:

You can run but you can't hide. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

........well, Coop.

As Mr Natural, you were slightly more handsome. But - as Coop, you are slightly smarter.
Happy 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

GODs DAY to ALL

I LOVE U ALL :smile: I AM Truely Blessed Today To Have & To Know Brothers An Sistahs Such as You , And Blessed That I Can Also Call You All Friends . And that You Can be There In My Good & Bad Times . I Have Learned Very Much from All of You , Everyone On Truthbook /

Larry ~ I Will Do A Cowpoke Poem Soon , ... Rock N Roll or WRAP ? :idea: Your the Best .

Arc ~ Catch & Release ! :o

Sistah Gerdean ~ I Love Your Humor as Much as Your Wisdom , & Loveing Spirit . :wink:

Fatsoul ~ Your Dah MAN ! You allways Make Me Smile & Think in A NEW
WAY . Your Spirit Is Bright & Shiney . 8)

LOVE IS SO VERY POWERFULL > :mrgreen: Geee Wiz ~ I Feel Just Like Dorothy on The Wizard of OZ . :shock:

Emily Dickinson:
All but Death, can be Adjusted—
Dynasties repaired—
Systems—settled in their Sockets—
Citadels—dissolved—

Wastes of Lives—resown with Colors
By Succeeding Springs—
Death—unto itself—Exception—
Is exempt from Change—

Eric Hoffer:
The remarkable thing is that we really love our neighbor as ourselves: we do unto others as we do unto ourselves. We hate others when we hate ourselves. We are tolerant toward others when we tolerate ourselves. We forgive others when we forgive ourselves. We are prone to sacrifice others when we are ready to sacrifice ourselves.

Henry Ward Beecher:
Repentance is another name for aspiration.

Hillary Rodham Clinton:
In the Bible it says they asked Jesus how many times you should forgive, and he said 70 times 7. Well, I want you all to know that I'm keeping a chart.

Jessamyn West:
It is very easy to forgive others their mistakes; it takes more grit and gumption to forgive them for having witnessed your own.

John F. Kennedy:
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Lord Chesterfield:
Wrongs are often forgiven, but contempt never is. Our pride remembers it forever.

Nathaniel Hawthorne:
It is to the credit of human nature, that, except where its selfishness is brought into play, it loves more readily than it hates. Hatred, by a gradual and quiet process, will even be transformed to love, unless the change be impeded by a continually new irritation of the original feeling of hostility.
from The Scarlet Letter

Reinhold Niebuhr:
Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime,
Therefore, we are saved by hope.
Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history;
Therefore, we are saved by faith.
Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone.
Therefore, we are saved by love.
No virtuous act is quite a virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own;
Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.

Robert Frost:
Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee
And I'll forgive Thy great big one on me

Sidney and Suzanne Simon:
Forgiveness is freeing up and putting to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds. It is rediscovering the strengths we always had and relocating our limitless capacity to understand and accept other people and ourselves.

Sir Francis Bacon:
We read that we ought to forgive our enemies; but we do not read that we ought to forgive our friends.

Voltaire:
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

William Blake:
It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.

Thanks Friends :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

And I'm just shaking my head :wink:

... busy with other things at year end ... in the most wonderful Contents of a Book I've ever came across ...

Have not been here at Truthbook for a few weeks, (in written form, I guess), but kept meself updated regularly ...

Mr. Natural, thank for stepping down ... likes Thee more than: dear Coop'(er) ... guess that's what a person also pick up when you're a translator ...

Now listen to this, good Truthbook-Fellowshippers ...

I came tonight (maybe for most of You it's le morning) ...

But I came to You to share with You Paper 4's intro ...

did quite some work in P144 & 145 early today to late at night ... then went out to my ... fellow PIRATES ... :wink: at the P&G in the heart of New Bethesda [[hey! has anyone tried to google NEW BETHESDA/NIEU BETHESDA/NIEU-BETHESDA?]]

Try it.

Small, obscure village, with one of the most wonderful Urantian-vibes ...

I'll share what I iniatially wanted to share with all of You, at some other more convenient, and appropriate time ...

But, please do not neglect to re-read paragraphs 1-3 of Paper 4 ...

Truthbook-lover's honour :P

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Arno,

Nice to hear from you. When your email popped up, I was reminded of your being a new reader and thought I would make mention of SPAD-2007 which begins on UBRON (Urantia Book Readers Online Network) on the first day of the new year. SPAD = Six Pages a Day (The UB, of course). If you are in mind to undertake such a challenge ... (six pages a day will get the entire book read within a year) ... Google UBRON, sign on, and get into the SPAD-2007 Study Group.

All of you. If you want to. There is still time. Last I looked there were 14 of us. The more the merrier.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gerdean

I'll be there ... have noticed it before ... intended to follow it up ... did not do it ... WILL DO SO ...

NEXT?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next