Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:30 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted:  

P.1562 - §1 The other apostles held Jesus in reverence because of some special and outstanding trait of his replete personality, but Thomas revered his Master because of his superbly balanced character. Increasingly Thomas admired and honored one who was so lovingly merciful yet so inflexibly just and fair; so firm but never obstinate; so calm but never indifferent; so helpful and so sympathetic but never meddlesome or dictatorial; so strong but at the same time so gentle; so positive but never rough or rude; so tender but never vacillating; so pure and innocent but at the same time so virile, aggressive, and forceful; so truly courageous but never rash or foolhardy; such a lover of nature but so free from all tendency to revere nature; so humorous and so playful, but so free from levity and frivolity. It was this matchless symmetry of personality that so charmed Thomas.

i need to be more inflexibly just and fair. i'm probably not obstinate enough, too vacillating as they say. extreme calmness without acting indifferent doesn't sound like too hard a trick, if you can attain extreme calmness first off. i don't have a problem with meddlesomeness or dictatorialness but i could be more helpful and sympathetic.

strength of character is the one thing i wish i could attain probable more than the others. vacillations in what i want to do or don't want to do is a major problem. "so pure and innocent but at the same time so virile, aggressive, and forceful" describes what i'm talking about, about strength of character. i probably wouldn't have a problem with rashness or foolhardiness. revering nature isn't a problem either, loving all it's competitiveness is though.

of course strength of character would help me to overcome "seeing" the competitiveness of nature i'm sure. i guess a perfect character would find it easy to be humorous and playful. certainly is an interesting description of jesus, wouldn't know anything like this about jesus from the bible.

"matchless symmetry" is probably what i'm getting at when i talk about the strength of jesus' character too. :smile: :o :shock: :roll: :biggrin: :cry:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: symmetry
PostPosted:  

Hi Froggy,

Good post there. I did not get as far as to read section 4 yet. you mention symmetry. you must have seen pictures of faces where it is show how unsymmetrical our faces are due to the imbalance within ourselves. I think from this you may know what the result will be with Jesus's face.

Love and regards
u

Post subject: Re: symmetry
PostPosted:  

thanks uch. section 4 to me was nothing to rush to, i find the rest of the book at least as fascinating. i'm not big on the jesus as lord, he's our sovereign thing. i think he wants me to understand that i can live the same kind of life as he did, and to get into worship of jesus masks that desire to simply emulate him.

i can believe in the unsymmetrical nature of our features because of our unsymmetrical minds, i certainly believe things are connected in this way. so, yes, jesus had the symmetry of a model i'm sure, but i think they say something about his ruggedness too, quite the stud.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Oh froggy,
Quote:
i'm not big on the jesus as lord, he's our sovereign thing. i think he wants me to understand that i can live the same kind of life as he did, and to get into worship of jesus masks that desire to simply emulate him.

seth has taught you well. he would have you believe this.
by the way,
in my humble opinion, seth = the mind of our fallen planetary prince... twisted, evil and with a mandate to take us all down with him.
:twisted: :roll: :evil: :shock: :roll: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

yes mark king, if that's your real name.

seth didn't teach me that, i think it's common sense, but again, like i said elsewhere, it's pointless to debate, people have too huge minds for that, they are what they are, mindally speaking, and there's too much going on to sum it up, all the reasons why a person thinks the way they do, in a sentence, or a paragraph, or a book for that matter.

i don't think seth is the mind of caligastia or one of his cohorts. i believe seth is very genuine in his approach, he mentions that he's nowhere close to the state of progression that the "gods" are in. i remember they even threw in a seth two. but asides from all that, a person is going to believe what they're going to believe and there's not going to be any changing of any minds, it's all much too easy to defend one's viewpoint, whatever it may be. viewpoints and opinions can be approached from a near countless number of mental angles in order to defend them, it's too easy, in other words it's too hard to change someone's mind when it's so easy for them to defend theirs. :-x :o :smile: :? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

froggy, I find it somewhat humorous that the UB tells us to find what is good in what others believe, and to just leave the rest. Yet, there are many on this site who feel that truth can only come from between the pages to the UB. Hmmm maybe they missed that part. :shock: All else is somehow tainted, and probably the work of our fallen Planetary Prince or Lucifer.

And now, we will all sing together from page XXX... (sigh)
Bro Dave :?

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

that's an important teaching in tub, what jesus talked about, about just adding to the good that someone understands and not trying to take away their false ideas. i can see how people can fall into one teaching as the holy grail, it's a simple enough deduction for me. but here i go again, point is, we all just believe what we believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I was born Mark David King. This is my name.
So froggy, Bro Dave, respectfully I ask... If I have just shared with you my own personal belief, why is this unacceptable? I am making no accusations directed at anyone here.. I respect and appreciate your personalities and diverse opinions and beliefs.

I expect that the givin in your attitude is that I am in the wrong for my belief because I point a finger and say....there, that is wrong...deception...evil. I don't pretend that I have some authority by which I formulate my conclusions. I read, I learn, I formulate conclusions.. Trying to portray me as a trouble maker bent on fear mongering judgement is really just your inability or refusal to see it the way I do... and that is your right.

I am your brother.
mark

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
froggy wrote:
Quote:
yes mark king, if that's your real name.

It seems to me that this is purely in jest. I don't believe froggy doubts that Mark King is your real name. I think he is alluding to the fact that you actually use your real name as your username. Perhaps I'm wrong here (it's happened before), but his jest was a whimsical salute to your honesty. When I read froggy's comment, I thought of Dale Gribble on "King of the Hill". It's the type of inane comment he would make. I laughed.

As to Truth? I'm sure it's where you find it.
Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

mark, i don't think anything you say is unacceptable, you're just feeling that way. i'd like to think i wasn't portraying you "as a trouble maker bent on fear mongering judgement," it's unfortunate that you see it that way. i see everything as discussion.

we can't really gage each other's personalities on here, there would be a lot more understanding if we could take in the essence of a person by actually being with them.

polo

it was purely in jest, i hesitated to write it but had thought to say it earlier. i wasn't really alluding to anything, let's not over-analyze. i guess the last name of king when we're on a forum about jesus caught my notice, but really analyzing this is silly. mark, and you did say some not nice things about seth which would put me a little in the defensive mood.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Mark, your name was never mentioned. :shock: I was generalizing about the approaches taken by "some". I did not to anger you or make you feel defensive. Sorry if that was the effect. These written messages are always dangerous! :wink:

Your Bro,
Dave :smile:

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

Post subject: Fun
PostPosted:  
Howdy folks,

When things get tense, some comic relief is in order. Since I've noticed that no one takes my posts seriously, perhaps one of my posts would fit the comic relief bill perfectly. Here goes.

While I consider myself perhaps on the more "liberal" end of the UB spectrum (that is, I have many other "reliable sources", and don't find any compelling reason to believe UB is infallible), I have no problem with Mark King's more literal understanding. If UB is what what it says it is, then maybe his position makes more sense than mine. I didn't sense any "fear-mongering". The book does says that there are still some bad guys out there.

For me personally, I don't worry much at all about "bad guys". I prefer to concentrate on making myself a "good guy". It could turn out that I might regret this on the day when the bad guys come and suck out my brain (or whatever "badness" it is they're up to).

I agree with an earlier poster (forgive me if I don't trudge back and look up your name). I believe that UB is what is says it is. It is the basis for my personal theosophy. But just the same, I try to make myself aware of everything thats out there. I want my pump primed for anything, because I am certain that pretty much anything can happen. As long as free will operates, who knows what's next.

froggy: Sorry about the analysis. I was just trying to clear up what seemed to be a simple misunderstanding. I knew it was a joke because it made me laugh, not because if my inane analysis. Do you ever watch "King of the Hill"? Anyway, I've been serious for about as long as I can. Time to go.
Peace,
Arc

"A little more light, a little less heat."

Post subject: Re: Fun
PostPosted:  

it is interesting in my own belief system that i can accept that tub is the fifth epochal revelation but that it also lies, i.e., reincarnation.
no need to apologize arc. i'm not a king of the hill fan, used to watch a lot of the simpsons though.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks for the replies gents,

Arc, it seems you were right and I didn't need to get my back up as I did.

Bro Dave, froggy,
let me bring forward some quotes from this strand so I can clarify my point or attitude....

Froggy wrote;
Quote:
i think he wants me to understand that i can live the same kind of life as he did, and to get into worship of jesus masks that desire to simply emulate him.

Unfortunately, I think I misunderstood the meaning of your words when I first posted my reply, which I now see was inappropriate. My eyes and mind were already in a defensive mode after your statement that Part 4 was nothing to rush to.

Bro Dave wrote;
Quote:
Yet, there are many on this site who feel that truth can only come from between the pages to the UB. Hmmm maybe they missed that part. All else is somehow tainted, and probably the work of our fallen Planetary Prince or Lucifer.

Froggy wrote;
Quote:
i can see how people can fall into one teaching as the holy grail, it's a simple enough deduction for me.

Guys, I don't think that the UB is the only source of spiritual truth. I think a person alone on a desert island with no exposure to any written word has every chance to find truth and God from within. I am sure that one can study the Koran or oriental beliefs or one of the versions of the bible and be able to grow spiritually. Do you think the Jehovahs witness are lacking in enlightenment? Point is....truth real truth is not found exclusively within the pages of the UB. Like you I feel that truth perception and adoption is wholly personal and that one persons trash can be anothers treasure.

I can accept that personal spiritual revelation can happen anytime anywhere and be of great value to the person involved.

However, I also believe that (evil) error is a much larger curtain covering a small window of reality here on 606. Evil in terms of godlessness is everywhere. The greed and arrogance of politics, the confusion and hatred born of religion, indeed the state of the world itself is thanks to the indefatigable efforts of our rebel prince. I do believe it is his mandate to undo the effects and efforts of the 4th and 5th revelation.

Trance channelling in my understanding and belief is the act of someone allowing themselves to be indwelt by another mind. I don't think these are all hoaxes, although I am sure a good number of them are, simply to stroke the ego and possibly line the pockets of the one involved.

In the case of Seth, I do believe that this was a real demonic possession.
It came about because Jane Roberts asked for it to happen. I also believe Edgar Cayce was possessed by a brilliant but no less evil spirit.

Jane Roberts wrote;
"My psychic initiation really began one evening in September, 1963, however, as I sat writing poetry. Suddenly my consciousness left my body, and my mind was barraged by ideas that were astonishing and new to me at the time. On return to my body, I discovered that my hands had produced an automatic script, explaining many of the concepts that I'd been given. The notes were even titled--The Physical Universe as Idea Construction.

"Because of that experience, I began doing research into psychic activity, and planned a book on the project. In line with this, my husband Rob, and I experimented with a Ouija board late in 1963. After the first few sessions, the pointer spelled out messages that claimed to come from a personality called Seth.

"Neither Rob nor I had any psychic background, and when I began to anticipate the board's replies, I took it for granted that they were coming from my subconscious. Not long after, however, I felt impelled to say the words aloud, and within a month I was speaking for Seth while in a trance state.

The messages seemed to begin where Idea Construction left off, and later Seth said that my expansion-of-consciousness experience had represented his first attempt at contact . . ."

I am all for being a free thinking tolerant spirit. But when I see what I percieve to be real evil, please understand that I feel I am doing right and good to say so. Will I change your mind? That's not my concern.
My job ends when I present my belief....the rest is entirely up to the individuals perception of truth beauty and goodness.
peace brothers.

Froggy wrote;
Quote:
polo

I caught that... :razz: :P

Post subject: HAPPIER DAYS
PostPosted:  
Hello again.

Marco wrote:
Quote:
I am all for being a free thinking tolerant spirit. But when I see what I percieve to be real evil, please understand that I feel I am doing right and good to say so.

Darn tootin'! What else can you do? And we should be in your gratitude for doing so. It is a matter of integrity. In some matters, I, too, seem to represent the "hard case", and I catch flak for it. And I don't mind. Integrity does not demand that I be "right". It demands that my actions are consistent with my beliefs. This is all we can really ask of each other.

As to Seth; I read Seth a long time ago. I don't remember one thing it says. I vaguely recall liking it OK at the time. I'm pretty sure some of it was good and stuck. Maybe not. Maybe it was all evil and my mind rejected it. Or maybe it was evil and my mind didn't reject it. That might explain why I'm such a mess. Ultimately, it doesn't sound like I'm qualified to say too much about "Seth".

I'll leave you with an old saying that I am forced to use a lot: "Hard to say, not knowing."
Peace,
Arc

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next