Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:57 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Reading The Entire Book!
PostPosted:  

I have been with the Urantia since the early 70's and alone with it as my only spiritual guide, I thought I would add a thought or two.

I attended one study group (79) for a period of 1-week and felt this was not what I was looking for. So for years now, alone with my Thought Adjuster, and the Urantia Book, I have been given the strength to endure countless obstacles, and yet, I have never read the entire book from cover to cover.

I know that someone earlier mentioned in a post that to receive the full spiritual effect, one must read the entire book. I happen to agree with the author, that for many, this might be highly suggested. As for myself, well I have been inspired beyond human understanding by taking it slow, and out of sequence. I was given the time to place the pieces of the giant puzzle together in a format that made sense to me.

On my knees in 1972, smack in the middle of a muslem country (Turkey) I came face to face with my petition to our Lord. My petition being a simple request, "please Lord, I want to give you all that I can give, please deliver me from all but the truth". Within a matter of days, in the depth of a "NATO" communication mountain, around 4:00 AM, I came face to face with the Urantia Book. I never looked back since that early morning, and my companion, (The Thought Adjuster) has been working on me to get it right ever since. Thank goodness, there is patience as I stumble along looking for ways to enhance my daily living with my guide being the PERFECT HOST. I thank my Thought Adjuster daily for being there to keep one foot ahead of the other.

Just thought I would share this with everyone.

Jason

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Jason,

Sounds as though you're ready now to tackle it the way the revelators wrote it. For a reference you might consider this one 19:1.5-12.

Post subject: In Reply
PostPosted:  

Please pardon my ignorance, but you made reference to something I am not aware of. ("For a reference you might consider this one 19:1.5-12".) Could you please expain?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Jason,

Sorry for the confusion. the (19:1.5-12) is a live link in the above note. Just click on it -- it'll take you directly to the on-line version of the book on our site, UB Paper 19, Section 1, Paragraph 5.

Having had your book for a long time and not having been connected to the internal politics of the UB movement you're probably unaware that there has been considerable discussion about how to reference the material in the book. Urantia Foundation maintained that The Urantia Book contains 2096 pages and that paragraphs will be referenced by page number, paragraph number, or as Clyde Bedell did in the Concordex, by page number and the quarter of the page using A, B, C, D to represent the quarters down the page. Urantia Foundation also dictated that any translation of the book would maintain the same page numbering as the English so that page/paragraph references would be maintained across translations and all the books would be of similar size.

Others argued that scholarly works are referenced not by page numbers but by chapter, section, paragraph, and sentence -- such as Bible verses. This caused problems because people said it churchified the book. In the 1990s the book was put on the internet and page numbers became irrelevant although the Foundation tried to make their internet version resemble book pages.

The Fellowship, and Uversa Press, reformatted the book into a two column format that was 600 pages smaller than the Foundation printing so it no longer matched the UF page references. That was the first printing that used the paper:section.paragraph notation. In 2003 Uversa Press reprinted the book and no longer referenced the Urantia Foundation page numbers; it includes a 312 page topical index at the back making that printing a bit over 2100 pages. Many feel this is the best and most useful printing of the book -- it really is a very attractive book -- you can see it at our site. This printing is also true to the first printing of the book which subsequent printings by Urantia Foundation were not.

The paper:section.paragraph notation provides an easy way to link into the text of the book from email or from the internet. Also it frees translations from the restrictions of having to be reproduced page for page.

I still cherish my original 4th printing but extensively use my new Uversa Press printing now.

Last edited by lwatkins on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:49 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Jason. Greetings from Tulsa.

I just happened upon your post and wanted to say hello. Your experience with the UB is VERY similar to my own, and to many others I suspect. I also was introduced to the UB in the early 70's, fortunate to attend a few study group sessions in the home of Berkeley Elliot in OKC, moved to Texas, back to Oklahoma, on to Orlando, Florida, back to Texas and finally settled back here in God's country, otherwise referred to as Oklahoma. Thus began my solo journeys and occasional sharings with those I met along the way. Last August, I became curious if the UB had a presence on the internet and discovered that I had missed a lot since my early introductory days. I experienced a series of "shock and awe" moments as I surfed the net and read the various links that came up from my Google search.

I am delighted to report that I have settled here at TruthBook for electronic interaction with fellow students of the UB. UBer's now have many challenges imposed upon them from the ranks of the misinformed, the mischevious, and other catch all categories of groups that seem to have missed the point of this remarkeable revelation. This site is the best I have found - true to its mission.

UB students have passed their age of innocence and we now reside in the frothy turbulence of ordinary fears so prevalent on this beautiful orb we call home. I think we are up to the challenge and well-equipped to dissolve the fears.

The TruthBook site is doing a great job in sharing the Truths revealed in the Urantia Book. We who interact here in these forums are all flawed with human attributes so forgive us our excesses as we do our best to share how the UB has contributed to our lives. I thank you for your contribution and look forward to having you join in on our conversations, collaborations, and even our clarification contests from time to time. If you have a few shock-and-awe moments of your own as you read through your own googles, be assured it is a normal reaction to past events and that the dust is settling, preparing a fertile field for present and future students to take root and grow. Welcome.

All the best, Ray

Post subject: Thanks lwatkins
PostPosted:  

I guess I have been out of the loop. I was sitting here trying to think of how this would apply and simply could not see the answer. You did a wonderful job of explaining it so I will check out the papers. I hardly ever visit the Index area and the word papers hardly comes to my mind even though I am in there everyday.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.....
Jason

Post subject: RayOK
PostPosted:  

Thanks for sharing your beginning with the UB and what it has done for you. My short term study group was in Lubbock, TX, but like I mentioned, it did not last long.

It was nothing the Group did, just me not willing to allow many human thoughts into my mind while I was adjusting to such wonderful information that kept flowing. You mentioned Texas, so I thought I might add this.

It appears that our paths have been of a similar nature and like me; the information has found its way into our hearts and minds.

I feel at peace with the eternal mission inasmuch as my human mind can absorb and process, but it has been difficult for me not to understand why others cannot see so brilliantly what a few see or want to see. I guess you might call this, WHY US?

Being an old farm boy from rural Kansas, this made no sense as to why me. I think, even today I wonder the why me when there were so many other wonderful candidates in the early 70's.

When I came face to face with the Ubook, I took it with questionable faith, but not long passed before I began to pierce through the armor that surrounded me, enabling my mind to slowly open for the divine calling of the Adjuster.

I came from the Baptist faith, a faith of so my questions to be asked, and so many times there were no answers forthcoming. I will never forget the time at a Revival I asked the evangelist about dinosaurs and cave- men. WHOA, that just about upset the entire service. I was told in no uncertain terms in front of everyone attending the service that this was a conspiracy by the non-believers to divert attention that the world was only 4,000 years old, and that the skeleton bones were actually pre-fabed, then buried deep in the ground to make it look authentic.

Goodness that was the very day I knew that there must be something more than the unjustified answer I received. I would have admired the man had he said hey, you know Jason, and I do not know the answer to that.

So early in my years, it begins to form that there was more and I was hoping that in this lifetime, some of my answers would be answered.

The night I came face to face with the UB was when the following individuals gathered around the desk inside the Turkish communication mountain to discuss the diverse religions from each country represented being a part of NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization).
2 Greeks
1 Turk
1 British
2 Americans, and then the 3rd American who was the carrier of the UB.

Until he showed up, we were all discussing our own beliefs to find the common thread that ties our beliefs together.

That was the night that changed my entire life.... A Southern Baptist from Kansas came face to face with what would be the most profound discovery, and a new awareness, a new beginning of his life.

Long story made short, I soon left Turkey to head off for a long assignment in Bangkok. Within a few days of reporting to work in downtown Bangkok, an American came up to my desk, leaned over and said to me...... "The Urantia Book is waiting".....and walked away. THAT DID IT..... procrastination time was over.... I ordered my first copy of the UB directly from Chicago.

So my life, like everyone else has been one of many trials and hurdles. Some of them I fear would not have gone well had it not been for the UB and the faith that I derived from the years of its teachings, and Adjuster involvement.

O lives are filled with so many things that distort, distract, and otherwise pull us in so many directions. I have found myself on my knees before I go to bed, but up and ready to tackle the obstacles the next morning with a smile on my face. That, I feel is priceless...

What is the most surprising is that I have been able to live with my faith for so long without ever wavering a second. I feel that it has been a time of true and very deep learning that has not been distorted in some form that could otherwise delay my process of true spiritual growth.

My wife is not a reader of the UB, but she loves to ask questions and get answers that appear logical to her in her place and time. She loves the Lord, but does not really know how she fits into the bigger picture.

What inspires me the most is that someday in the eternal future; I will be part of the Corp of Finality and made ready to meet the challenges of the Trinity. Now that has me excited.....

I have rambled on enough.
Thanks to both of you who have responded thus far.
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Jason, greetings from another reader with a similar encounter with the UB like yourself. As I read of your discovery and the way you felt since it filled me with joy and awe. It was like, wow is this a pattern? There are so many of us that have live with the book and it's teachings affecting our lives and spiritual growth for so long and now through this site we're finding each other who have travel these similar paths from diverse worldly directions to share what it's been like for us. Jason did see the section on "how the UB change my Life" on the site's Home Page? I'd love to see your story there! My story is there as well as many others like us.

Be well my brother and God Bless You and Yours!

P.S. Your wife's position Loving God and asking questions. In my life that's my sister. The person I share the book with who will never leave the Bible as her source of strength but who has found more interest in the UB as our lives progress.

Post subject: Hello Joer
PostPosted:  

Thank you to you and the others who have responded to my post about the UB.

Each of you shares an inspiration that has the appearance of a healthy belief in the spirit that indwells each of us. This feels very good here at Truthbook.com. I came before; I participated some here, some there.

My story of how the UB changed my life is no longer visible, but I am enjoying the current postings :smile: . I read one per day and try and absorb what the person is feeling. I have not come to yours yet, but I will soon and assured that I will enjoy reading about your experiences. I have come back to Truthbook.com as my new home where I can share, and be shared with. The time for being alone is quickly fading away to a new light, new life.

I thank GOD everyday that I have been given the greatest human gift possible, but I really thank GOD for allowing me to search and understand beyond the covers. So many people have seen the UB, but for their own personal reasons, have not been able to feel the knowledge, feel their spirit, and respond to the brotherhood of all men.

We all walk in a very intense world, filled with so many distractions that it's hard to concentrate on our spiritual self without something ringing here, banging there, etc. I wish so many times that I would raise above all the negatives that surround us, but I have my days when the material seems to win over the spiritual. I justify my shortcomings by saying, this is experience, and I am to learn all that I can on so many levels, but that is not a valid excuse in total. To have spiritual faith means nothing gets in the way. My spiritual growth is really just beginning now, and by reading the testimonies of others is helping me develop a better understanding of who I am in the relations to other humans who are experiencing similar spiritual growing pains.

Thank You Joer for sharing.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Aloha Pilgrim!

Hope all is well and that you are in good Health! I like the the comparison to a route newly travelled to one travel before and the new sights. A few years ago I read the bible from cover to cover and it had a much richer bounty for me this last time than before. I saw clearly God's message as presented by Jesus and TUB. How He repeatedly gave us the light in our times of darkness and how we repeated forgot it or rejected it.

It was sweet! So much more meaning for me.

Peace be with you Pligrim! It's been cold here in Santa Rosa, this week snow on the hills around town. See you when you blow into town again! :smile:

Shalom, Namaste!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]