Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:37 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How to build a bridge
PostPosted:  

Hello! First of all, I apologise if some parts of my writing are not clear or linguistically correct; my mother tongue is Greek. I would like to offer a brief introduction of myself in order to familiarise you a bit with where I come from and then come to my point.

I have been a reader of the Urantia book (the english version) since 17 years old and I am now 33. I was born and raised in a Greek Orthodox family in Athens where apart from going to church and receiving communion several times a year, religion wasn't a big part of my life. I have a brother and when we were young my mother used to urge us both to pray. Every night she would lit the oil lamp and say her night prayer standing in front of the wall of icons in our home and then she would kiss us goodnight by making the sign of the cross and speaking a prayer for us. My brother never really cared about it, but religion and believing in God did impress my mind from back then.

I went through a very rough period during my teenage years. I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks, I was bullied at school and at home by my brother and I found some degree of consolation in praying whenever I felt overwhelmed by lives' vicissitudes. When I was 16, my cousin whom I was very close to, passed away and this led me to begin my spiritual exploration. I wanted to know what had happened to my cousin so I started googling 'life after death' and reading everything I fell upon. In less than a few months after my cousin's departure I found a copy of the Urantia book lying on my cousin's bed. My aunt had also begun her spiritual search and she had found about the Urantia book online and bought it. I opened it randomly and started reading it and I was immediately hooked.

Since then I have read the Urantia book several times and for more than a decade the book has been my constant companion. Recently, however, my spiritual search has led me back to my roots, my tradition, Greek Orthodox Christianity. The reason for that was, first of all, my need to better understand what it means to do God's will, how to live like that, how to evolve my soul and traverse the psychic circles and really believe and live the fact of my son-ship to God and brotherhood to all men. Secondly, I desired to meet people in person with whom I could share my enthusiasm about God, my love for Him, to not silently believe in Him any more, but to share that with others. I wanted to worship Him together with other people. So I started going again to church, whenever I visited Greece (I live abroad) and also began with the study of religious and patrological texts. So far I have read the first tome of Philokalia (the second tome rests on my bookshelf as well as another book by St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain), two books about the lives of two modern Greek saints, St. Paisios and St. Porphirios and some other diminutive volumes. I have also began learning more about the practice of the Prayer of the Heart, the hesychastic tradition, especially that of Mt. Athos and generally learning more about Orthodox Christianity. What I have discovered so far, is how many similarities the teachings of the fathers of the church, the monks and the saints have with the Urantia book regarding our soul's evolution and alignment with God's will. It is really fascinating to read, for example, St. Porphirios, who died in 1991, if I am not mistaken, urging us again and again to invite Jesus in our hearts, to become one with him, to not fight the darkness in our hearts, but invite the light of Jesus which will illuminate it and dissipate it. St. Porphirios was very fond of the High Priestly Intercessory Prayer of Jesus and he would often recite it. His last words were "Ἵνα ὦσιν ἕν" which is an excerpt from this prayer of Michael and translates as "That they may be one". Reading about these saint's lives and combining it with the knowledge of the Fifth Epochal Revelation, one can easily deduce that these people were already living a morontial life on Earth. They had such a balanced personality, aligned to the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit and the Father fragment that their souls found expression so very often. My study of their lives and teachings has also helped me understand better Jesus' teachings and the Urantia book in general.

And finally to come to my point: I feel blessed in my decision to study patrology and the lives of saints and to start going to church again and participating in its mysteries, however, there is a problem: I feel torn between the old and the new. (Orthodox) Christianity as it currently is could never accept the Urantia book. 2000 years of evolutionary religion, since Michael's bestowal was completed, have produced amazing examples of illuminated personalities and texts of great spiritual truth and value. I see so much potential in marrying the old with the new, the evolved with the revealed, but I cannot see how this can happen with the church's dogmatism and fanatical devotion to tradition so that they can preserve the apostolic truth. I embrace both and deep inside I feel that if the Fifth Epochal Revelation is to ever become worldwide accepted a bridge must be somehow built bringing the old to the new. I feel so lonely in this... how could such a bridge be built? Is it maybe too early? What do you all think?

Alexandros

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Komposer - Welcome to TruthBook!!

We are so blessed to have you join us here. I look forward to your voice and perspective here. Thank you so much for sharing your story of UB discovery and that of your spiritual adventure and transferring your identity to your spiritual nature.

Many UB students remain fully embraced with evolutionary religions and congregations and traditions! Epochal revelation is a compliment and supplement to evolutionary religious experience and traditions and to personal revelation and the faith experience. Your devotion to that combined ministry is commendable and very important I think to the success of epochal revelation and the generational progression of evolutionary religion as well.

I know you feel the church in general and Greek Orthodox in particular are deeply imbedded and entrenched and appear unmovable in their perspective and traditions. I think you will be surprised in a few decades about some changes which can only be appreciated in hind sight. Perhaps it will take longer? Still, the evolutionary churches of tradition do progress over time, if glacially!!

I am certain God and the angels will find some meaningful ways for your personal passions and faith to help bridge the past and the future as you hope and aspire.

So glad you are here!!

8)

Evolutionary Christianity is the cocoon of the Jesusonian Gospel and that Gospel is contained within the traditions, creeds, dogmas, and teachings of that more rigid tradition. You are part of that metamorphosis Alexandros!!

170:5.21 (1866.4) Mistake not! there is in the teachings of Jesus an eternal nature which will not permit them forever to remain unfruitful in the hearts of thinking men. The kingdom as Jesus conceived it has to a large extent failed on earth; for the time being, an outward church has taken its place; but you should comprehend that this church is only the larval stage of the thwarted spiritual kingdom, which will carry it through this material age and over into a more spiritual dispensation where the Master’s teachings may enjoy a fuller opportunity for development. Thus does the so-called Christian church become the cocoon in which the kingdom of Jesus’ concept now slumbers. The kingdom of the divine brotherhood is still alive and will eventually and certainly come forth from this long submergence, just as surely as the butterfly eventually emerges as the beautiful unfolding of its less attractive creature of metamorphic development.

92:2.1 (1004.4) Religion is the most rigid and unyielding of all human institutions, but it does tardily adjust to changing society. Eventually, evolutionary religion does reflect the changing mores, which, in turn, may have been affected by revealed religion. Slowly, surely, but grudgingly, does religion (worship) follow in the wake of wisdom—knowledge directed by experiential reason and illuminated by divine revelation.

92:2.4 (1004.7) But it is only foolish to attempt the too sudden acceleration of religious growth. A race or nation can only assimilate from any advanced religion that which is reasonably consistent and compatible with its current evolutionary status, plus its genius for adaptation. Social, climatic, political, and economic conditions are all influential in determining the course and progress of religious evolution. Social morality is not determined by religion, that is, by evolutionary religion; rather are the forms of religion dictated by the racial morality.

92:3.3 (1005.5) Primitive religion is nothing more nor less than the struggle for material existence extended to embrace existence beyond the grave. The observances of such a creed represented the extension of the self-maintenance struggle into the domain of an imagined ghost-spirit world. But when tempted to criticize evolutionary religion, be careful. Remember, that is what happened; it is a historical fact. And further recall that the power of any idea lies, not in its certainty or truth, but rather in the vividness of its human appeal.

92:3.4 (1006.1) Evolutionary religion makes no provision for change or revision; unlike science, it does not provide for its own progressive correction. Evolved religion commands respect because its followers believe it is The Truth; “the faith once delivered to the saints” must, in theory, be both final and infallible. The cult resists development because real progress is certain to modify or destroy the cult itself; therefore must revision always be forced upon it.

92:3.5 (1006.2) Only two influences can modify and uplift the dogmas of natural religion: the pressure of the slowly advancing mores and the periodic illumination of epochal revelation. And it is not strange that progress was slow; in ancient days, to be progressive or inventive meant to be killed as a sorcerer. The cult advances slowly in generation epochs and agelong cycles. But it does move forward. Evolutionary belief in ghosts laid the foundation for a philosophy of revealed religion which will eventually destroy the superstition of its origin.

92:3.6 (1006.3) Religion has handicapped social development in many ways, but without religion there would have been no enduring morality nor ethics, no worth-while civilization. Religion enmothered much nonreligious culture: Sculpture originated in idol making, architecture in temple building, poetry in incantations, music in worship chants, drama in the acting for spirit guidance, and dancing in the seasonal worship festivals.

92:3.7 (1006.4) But while calling attention to the fact that religion was essential to the development and preservation of civilization, it should be recorded that natural religion has also done much to cripple and handicap the very civilization which it otherwise fostered and maintained. Religion has hampered industrial activities and economic development; it has been wasteful of labor and has squandered capital; it has not always been helpful to the family; it has not adequately fostered peace and good will; it has sometimes neglected education and retarded science; it has unduly impoverished life for the pretended enrichment of death. Evolutionary religion, human religion, has indeed been guilty of all these and many more mistakes, errors, and blunders; nevertheless, it did maintain cultural ethics, civilized morality, and social coherence, and made it possible for later revealed religion to compensate for these many evolutionary shortcomings.

92:3.8 (1006.5) Evolutionary religion has been man’s most expensive but incomparably effective institution. Human religion can be justified only in the light of evolutionary civilization. If man were not the ascendant product of animal evolution, then would such a course of religious development stand without justification.

92:3.9 (1006.6) Religion facilitated the accumulation of capital; it fostered work of certain kinds; the leisure of the priests promoted art and knowledge; the race, in the end, gained much as a result of all these early errors in ethical technique. The shamans, honest and dishonest, were terribly expensive, but they were worth all they cost. The learned professions and science itself emerged from the parasitical priesthoods. Religion fostered civilization and provided societal continuity; it has been the moral police force of all time. Religion provided that human discipline and self-control which made wisdom possible. Religion is the efficient scourge of evolution which ruthlessly drives indolent and suffering humanity from its natural state of intellectual inertia forward and upward to the higher levels of reason and wisdom.

92:3.10 (1006.7) And this sacred heritage of animal ascent, evolutionary religion, must ever continue to be refined and ennobled by the continuous censorship of revealed religion and by the fiery furnace of genuine science.

PostPosted:  

Thank you fanofVan! I have enjoyed reading your posts often accompanied with relevant citations from the Urantia book. :)

I try not to be overcome with impatience and hastiness as we are very clearly taught that evolution is a slow progress. I am also often reminded of the Publication Mandate which also states that the 5th epochal revelation belongs to the next era of humanity, but has been prematurely given to us in anticipation and preparatory to it. Michael was in a similar situation when he lived on Earth 2000 years so I think, and I believe we are also instructed, that studying his approach is the best thing we could do. The Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit are showing us the way, so does the divine monitor with the help of our loving seraphim. From my studies, in order to comprehend their leading, we have to develop first and foremost a humble disposition, we have to desire and cultivate our relationship with our heavenly Father who will reveal in us the reality of the kingdom, of the divine brotherhood.

Thank you for all the citations. They are very enlightening and encouraging.

PostPosted:  

Komposer wrote:
Hello! First of all, I apologise if some parts of my writing are not clear or linguistically correct; my mother tongue is Greek. I would like to offer a brief introduction of myself in order to familiarise you a bit with where I come from and then come to my point.

I have been a reader of the Urantia book (the english version) since 17 years old and I am now 33. I was born and raised in a Greek Orthodox family in Athens where apart from going to church and receiving communion several times a year, religion wasn't a big part of my life. I have a brother and when we were young my mother used to urge us both to pray. Every night she would lit the oil lamp and say her night prayer standing in front of the wall of icons in our home and then she would kiss us goodnight by making the sign of the cross and speaking a prayer for us. My brother never really cared about it, but religion and believing in God did impress my mind from back then.

I went through a very rough period during my teenage years. I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks, I was bullied at school and at home by my brother and I found some degree of consolation in praying whenever I felt overwhelmed by lives' vicissitudes. When I was 16, my cousin whom I was very close to, passed away and this led me to begin my spiritual exploration. I wanted to know what had happened to my cousin so I started googling 'life after death' and reading everything I fell upon. In less than a few months after my cousin's departure I found a copy of the Urantia book lying on my cousin's bed. My aunt had also begun her spiritual search and she had found about the Urantia book online and bought it. I opened it randomly and started reading it and I was immediately hooked.

Since then I have read the Urantia book several times and for more than a decade the book has been my constant companion. Recently, however, my spiritual search has led me back to my roots, my tradition, Greek Orthodox Christianity. The reason for that was, first of all, my need to better understand what it means to do God's will, how to live like that, how to evolve my soul and traverse the psychic circles and really believe and live the fact of my son-ship to God and brotherhood to all men. Secondly, I desired to meet people in person with whom I could share my enthusiasm about God, my love for Him, to not silently believe in Him any more, but to share that with others. I wanted to worship Him together with other people. So I started going again to church, whenever I visited Greece (I live abroad) and also began with the study of religious and patrological texts. So far I have read the first tome of Philokalia (the second tome rests on my bookshelf as well as another book by St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain), two books about the lives of two modern Greek saints, St. Paisios and St. Porphirios and some other diminutive volumes. I have also began learning more about the practice of the Prayer of the Heart, the hesychastic tradition, especially that of Mt. Athos and generally learning more about Orthodox Christianity. What I have discovered so far, is how many similarities the teachings of the fathers of the church, the monks and the saints have with the Urantia book regarding our soul's evolution and alignment with God's will. It is really fascinating to read, for example, St. Porphirios, who died in 1991, if I am not mistaken, urging us again and again to invite Jesus in our hearts, to become one with him, to not fight the darkness in our hearts, but invite the light of Jesus which will illuminate it and dissipate it. St. Porphirios was very fond of the High Priestly Intercessory Prayer of Jesus and he would often recite it. His last words were "Ἵνα ὦσιν ἕν" which is an excerpt from this prayer of Michael and translates as "That they may be one". Reading about these saint's lives and combining it with the knowledge of the Fifth Epochal Revelation, one can easily deduce that these people were already living a morontial life on Earth. They had such a balanced personality, aligned to the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit and the Father fragment that their souls found expression so very often. My study of their lives and teachings has also helped me understand better Jesus' teachings and the Urantia book in general.

And finally to come to my point: I feel blessed in my decision to study patrology and the lives of saints and to start going to church again and participating in its mysteries, however, there is a problem: I feel torn between the old and the new. (Orthodox) Christianity as it currently is could never accept the Urantia book. 2000 years of evolutionary religion, since Michael's bestowal was completed, have produced amazing examples of illuminated personalities and texts of great spiritual truth and value. I see so much potential in marrying the old with the new, the evolved with the revealed, but I cannot see how this can happen with the church's dogmatism and fanatical devotion to tradition so that they can preserve the apostolic truth. I embrace both and deep inside I feel that if the Fifth Epochal Revelation is to ever become worldwide accepted a bridge must be somehow built bringing the old to the new. I feel so lonely in this... how could such a bridge be built? Is it maybe too early? What do you all think?

Alexandros

Congrats on finding and recognizing the UB, Alexandros. Good news, most readers I know come out of Christianity. Some day a tipping point will be reached. And that point could come sooner, if say, something revealed is found to be true, like Non-breathers living in our Solar System, Adam and Eve's bones, or the existence of the ultimaton.

PostPosted:  

Quote:

Dear Alexandros,

Thanks for your lovely post and these inspiring thoughts. It seems to me that going back to your roots and returning to church is a very positive response to your new-found and solid foundations of spiritual truth that you have found in The Urantia Book. Your desire to build a bridge between the old and the new is likely something that can only be accomplished over time by people just like you, who are willing to re-enter these bastions of crystallized dogma and tradition armed with these new ways of seeing the truth. I think that Jesus IS that bridge, and he will show us the way.

I pray that the Father will provide you with increasing opportunities to be the living conduit for new truth to your fellows. You seem such a willing and humble kingdom worker - so needed in the world today. Thanks again for sharing your story and I look forward to getting to know you better as time goes on.

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

rick warren wrote:
Congrats on finding and recognizing the UB, Alexandros. Good news, most readers I know come out of Christianity. Some day a tipping point will be reached. And that point could come sooner, if say, something revealed is found to be true, like Non-breathers living in our Solar System, Adam and Eve's bones, or the existence of the ultimaton..

Thank you Rick! Such an external confirmation would certainly be of value not only for the acceptance of the revelation, but also for the advancement of our knowledge. Imagine discovering/coming into contact with the non-breathers for example. Wouldn't it inevitably cause a profound expansion of our cosmic horizons? Or am I too optimistic in believing that...?

maryjo606 wrote:
Dear Alexandros,

Thanks for your lovely post and these inspiring thoughts. It seems to me that going back to your roots and returning to church is a very positive response to your new-found and solid foundations of spiritual truth that you have found in The Urantia Book. Your desire to build a bridge between the old and the new is likely something that can only be accomplished over time by people just like you, who are willing to re-enter these bastions of crystallized dogma and tradition armed with these new ways of seeing the truth. I think that Jesus IS that bridge, and he will show us the way.

I pray that the Father will provide you with increasing opportunities to be the living conduit for new truth to your fellows. You seem such a willing and humble kingdom worker - so needed in the world today. Thanks again for sharing your story and I look forward to getting to know you better as time goes on.

MaryJo

Thank you MaryJo! I agree that it feels right. The 4th epochal revelation of Michael has been flourishing for 2000 years now producing, as I said before, some remarkable results. I wholeheartedly believe that all this experiential wisdom that has been acquired throughout all these centuries can be of tremendous value to us, the students and believers of the new revelation. And thank you for your prayer! I also pray that our Father shall guide us all to a better discernment of His will so that Jesus' heavenly kingdom conquers our hearts at last.

Alexandros

PostPosted:  

Komposer wrote:

Thank you Rick! Such an external confirmation would certainly be of value not only for the acceptance of the revelation, but also for the advancement of our knowledge. Imagine discovering/coming into contact with the non-breathers for example. Wouldn't it inevitably cause a profound expansion of our cosmic horizons? Or am I too optimistic in believing that...?

Good question, Alexandros. We can only hope, pray, and keep living it.

PostPosted:  

All of us here are that bridge! Thanks so much for your inspiration.

PostPosted:  

Komposer wrote:
(Orthodox) Christianity as it currently is could never accept the Urantia book.
Alexandros

Christianity is not a person and therefore does not possess any prerogative to accept or reject.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Christianity is not a person and therefore does not possess any prerogative to accept or reject.

I meant those who follow the Christian religion, the clergy and laymen alike, the Christian church in other words. I thought it was self-explanatory. My apologies if it wasn't.

Alexandros

PostPosted:  

But there are people in this world bound by their oaths. People (many persons currently living on Urantia) have sworn to represent Christianity, and we also have Paul's theory of the Body of Christ.

If you understand the completed experience of the Supreme Being through the Creator Son's seventh material bestowal, maybe you can appreciate how important certain traditions and administrative methods were preserved by each family of every congregation throughout written history. There is a validity to every breath within human life.

If you believe in the theory of the Body of Christ, what does that imply to every human relationship you will have, will have ever had? The Body of Christ means that every soul capable of discernment from the personal revelation, we are all doing God's will together even though every soul has a separate understanding of God/God's universe.

However, that is the split we have: this Alexandros antrhopomorphizes "Christianity", is that something you wish to personify? Can you say that you actually represent Christianity? Jesusonian is a concept that comes from Christianity, or at least Christian faith tradition. I am still struggling to understand and evaluate how 'my body is my temple'. If Christianity is an actual person, that would be a child, neither male nor female. Most Christians call God "our Father", which refers to a relationship between "any Christian" and God as "He", a personal parent.

"Christianity" is an objective concept, but it is not real to you unless you is really a Christian. To be a Christian, means that you are one who does the will of the heavenly (Paradise) father (i.e. 'thyne will be done'). Alexandros, you say that you went back to the Orthodox Greek Christian Church. Did you formally repent from the hiatus within that church? Did the priests receive you back into the congregation? And how do you say this now, when you are telling us that you feel a stronger allegience to your cousin and this the teachings of the Urantia Book? How can you be loyal to the Christian Orthodox Church, when you are telling us this, that you are more loyal to this the Jesusonian concept of God's will.

Most clerics suffer from this notion, that you cannot really return to your former church. Even if you repent, real priests know if that repentence is real- sincere or not. Even if your repentence is sincere, how can they ever really trust you again? Now that this "Alexa" device has invaded many houses, captured many fortunes and overheard many gossips, it is true that priests and maliks are very afraid to do the wrong thing in accepting members who abandoned their faith-traditions back into the faith. You could be "carrying the virus" of bad habits, avariciously craving their oats while you do not cultivate them wisely. Those priests will have much preferred to have taught young people "from scratch" how to start off with good footing in the church, that way one might have never faltered or left the way that I had. Still, the way I see it, these Christian faith traditions must trust someone; the father in every family must trust the son who marries the daughter born from marriage. I used to dread the day the torch would be passed, but now I understand. As the anglicans say, "the Catholic Church must be preserved" - you must preserve all of the goodness from this "your" Orthodox faith tradition, if the priests must hand authority over to you, then you really have no choice either, and in some sense preserve their Church - the remnant of Orthodoxy. They have such a difficulty in being able to trust anyone who is like you. Alexandros, you left that Church and went back, but are you really a part of that Church now?

PostPosted:  

The Jesusonian Gospel is not a derivative of Christianity. Christianity is a primitive, evolutionary departure from and distortion of Revealed Religious truth and freedom. Christianity is a primitive bondage of creed and dogma ABOUT Jesus while the Jesusonian Gospel is the teaching and example OF Jesus.

Stephen....your gibberish here is pure opinion and challenges the sincerity of our new friend Alex. Christianity has as many flavors as practitioners and all souls of all religions and of no religious affiliation are in the family of God and none are limited by Paulinian Doctrines and their inventions of exclusion and exclusivity.

Who in all of Nebadon are the children of the Creator Son but not of the Creator Son or of the Body of Christ?? Pure nonsense Stephen. Every personality in Nebadon whose origin is Nebadon is of the "body" or within the family of Christ Michael. No matter their knowledge, understanding, belief, status, wisdom, or spiritual progress!! If you say otherwise, please produce text support for such claims!!

Please leave the personal religious experience and expression of Alex up to Alex. Have you faith? Then keep it to yourself!

99:5.7 (1091.6) Just as certainly as men share their religious beliefs, they create a religious group of some sort which eventually creates common goals. Someday religionists will get together and actually effect co-operation on the basis of unity of ideals and purposes rather than attempting to do so on the basis of psychological opinions and theological beliefs. Goals rather than creeds should unify religionists. Since true religion is a matter of personal spiritual experience, it is inevitable that each individual religionist must have his own and personal interpretation of the realization of that spiritual experience. Let the term “faith” stand for the individual’s relation to God rather than for the creedal formulation of what some group of mortals have been able to agree upon as a common religious attitude. “Have you faith? Then have it to yourself.”

The interpretation of the meaning of the doctrine of The Body of Christ seems to be multifaceted and not at all confined to a singular creedal theology:

https://doctrine.org/the-church-the-body-of-christ

Certainly does the Revelation teach the absolute and total inclusion of all beings from the Local Universes in both the Creator Sons of time and the Supreme Being as well. Perhaps we might study that truth and fact???!!!

8)

PostPosted:  

Stephen, I have difficulty understanding much of what you say. There is a certain degree of tangentiality in your writing style and some of the connections you make are not very clear to me.

With that said, I am not antropomorphizing anything, as I already explained; you are overinterpreting things.

To answer your question, even though it is a personal matter, I did partake of the mystery of confession. However, even though I respect the traditions of Orthodox Christianity, my loyalty lies first and foremost with Michael and the Paradise Trinity. I summoned the courage to make this thread because I am experiencing an inner struggle after my decision to "go back" to my roots with all the knowledge I have acquired the last 17 years or so by reading the Urantia book. I find it difficult to express the nature of this struggle with words, but I think it is caused by my lack of wisdom, patience and many, many other qualities. I am glad I made this thread because I found great comfort in reading the supporting comments of the forum members.

Alexandros

PostPosted:  

Komposer,

I hope you will make peace with your decision to "go back to your roots". This is not a case of riding two horses: they are complementary when your aim is true.

The UB is largely an affair of the mind. There is no "church" in the institutional sense, and, for some of us this may feel isolating. Your church is a place to gather in thanks and joy and community worship. And you bring a new perspective to it; an enlarged and embracing understanding of the values of evolutionary religion. I believe you are listening to your inner Teacher. Celebrate it!

PostPosted:  

I am reminded that Jesus and Melchizedek and Adam and Eve all were such bridge builders. The law and pattern of progress is evolutionary...not revolutionary. Therefore must the old be made new, one mind and one generation at a time. Tradition is to progress what ballast is to a sailing ship...it is balance and stability. Progress is to tradition what sails are to the sailing ship, they catch the wind and propel the ship. And then there is the mast which attaches or bridges the sails to the ballast so the two work in harmony to both move but also stay upright!!

Those who stay attached to the evolutionary churches with open minds and spirits to truth and wisdom deliver the sails of progress to the stability of tradition but also deliver the stability of tradition to the momentum of progress. Such believers are true disciples and ambassadors of the Kingdom and do provide a bridge of communication and understanding by gaining the trust, confidence, and loyalty of both traditionalists and progressives...not all certainly...but some is enough in every generation I think!!

140:6.2 (1576.2) When he had entered the garden, he gathered the apostles around him and taught them further, saying: “You find it difficult to receive my message because you would build the new teaching directly upon the old, but I declare that you must be reborn. You must start out afresh as little children and be willing to trust my teaching and believe in God. The new gospel of the kingdom cannot be made to conform to that which is. You have wrong ideas of the Son of Man and his mission on earth. But do not make the mistake of thinking that I have come to set aside the law and the prophets; I have not come to destroy but to fulfill, to enlarge and illuminate. I come not to transgress the law but rather to write these new commandments on the tablets of your hearts."

141:2.2 (1588.5) “When you are the subjects of this kingdom, you indeed are made to hear the law of the Universe Ruler; but when, because of the gospel of the kingdom which I have come to declare, you faith-discover yourselves as sons, you henceforth look not upon yourselves as law-subject creatures of an all-powerful king but as privileged sons of a loving and divine Father. Verily, verily, I say to you, when the Father’s will is your law, you are hardly in the kingdom. But when the Father’s will becomes truly your will, then are you in very truth in the kingdom because the kingdom has thereby become an established experience in you. When God’s will is your law, you are noble slave subjects; but when you believe in this new gospel of divine sonship, my Father’s will becomes your will, and you are elevated to the high position of the free children of God, liberated sons of the kingdom.”

159:4.2 (1767.4) “Nathaniel, you have rightly judged; I do not regard the Scriptures as do the rabbis. I will talk with you about this matter on condition that you do not relate these things to your brethren, who are not all prepared to receive this teaching. The words of the law of Moses and the teachings of the Scriptures were not in existence before Abraham. Only in recent times have the Scriptures been gathered together as we now have them. While they contain the best of the higher thoughts and longings of the Jewish people, they also contain much that is far from being representative of the character and teachings of the Father in heaven; wherefore must I choose from among the better teachings those truths which are to be gleaned for the gospel of the kingdom."

92:2.4 (1004.7) But it is only foolish to attempt the too sudden acceleration of religious growth. A race or nation can only assimilate from any advanced religion that which is reasonably consistent and compatible with its current evolutionary status, plus its genius for adaptation. Social, climatic, political, and economic conditions are all influential in determining the course and progress of religious evolution. Social morality is not determined by religion, that is, by evolutionary religion; rather are the forms of religion dictated by the racial morality.

92:3.8 (1006.5) Evolutionary religion has been man’s most expensive but incomparably effective institution. Human religion can be justified only in the light of evolutionary civilization. If man were not the ascendant product of animal evolution, then would such a course of religious development stand without justification.

92:3.9 (1006.6) Religion facilitated the accumulation of capital; it fostered work of certain kinds; the leisure of the priests promoted art and knowledge; the race, in the end, gained much as a result of all these early errors in ethical technique. The shamans, honest and dishonest, were terribly expensive, but they were worth all they cost. The learned professions and science itself emerged from the parasitical priesthoods. Religion fostered civilization and provided societal continuity; it has been the moral police force of all time. Religion provided that human discipline and self-control which made wisdom possible. Religion is the efficient scourge of evolution which ruthlessly drives indolent and suffering humanity from its natural state of intellectual inertia forward and upward to the higher levels of reason and wisdom.

92:4.1 (1007.1) Revelation is evolutionary but always progressive. Down through the ages of a world’s history, the revelations of religion are ever-expanding and successively more enlightening. It is the mission of revelation to sort and censor the successive religions of evolution. But if revelation is to exalt and upstep the religions of evolution, then must such divine visitations portray teachings which are not too far removed from the thought and reactions of the age in which they are presented. Thus must and does revelation always keep in touch with evolution. Always must the religion of revelation be limited by man’s capacity of receptivity.

8)