Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:59 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Two Fathers
PostPosted:  

We all know that Jesus was born of Joseph & Mary. These were the original "earth parents" selected before the Urantia bestowal began. Jesus was born and after returning from Alexandria, grew up as the oldest child in Nazareth.

This essay explores the idea of how Jesus had two earth-fathers: Joseph and Simon of Bethany. This first father concerns the home-life of the Child Jesus, and the second concerns the clanship-life of the Adult Jesus.

There is a woman of the 19th century named Catherine Seton (NOTE 1), also known as Mother Mary Seton. Her mom Elizabeth is known as the first American "canonized Roman Saint". Elizabeth referred to a sister of Catherine named Rachel Marie as "my soul's sister". Her mom definetly looked at the children born through her womb as God's Child, each. Catherine Seton's mom died in 1821, when Catherine was aged 21 years. She was adopted by a woman named Julia Scott who was as if a second mother to her.

Growing up with the understanding that "I am a child of God", there is a gracefullness in the method of a parent's custody and tutelage. A parent with the awareness that "I am preparing this child for a greater life than I have yet known" will be blessed by the father-consciousness. The questions of the Child reveal the love of the father, and in this relationship the dependent one flourishes. Thus, the mother who can become aware that a daughter born unto her is in some spiritual sense "my sister" will be blessed with the grace of natural revelation.

This is one of the perceptual alignments which is necessary to recognise revelation (spiritual experience) within the home. That we are each the Universal Father's Child, and that we are all children of God the Supreme. The development of a human individual requires the transfer of earthly-natural relationships into heavenly-spiritual relationships if the soul is to reap an abundant harvest.

So Catherine Seton had one birth and one adoptive mother in the first half of her life. In her 46th year, she entered a sorority originally from Ireland coming into America at Manhattan called "the Sisters of Mercy". She took on the new name "Mary", once the middle name of two siblings Anna Marie & Rachel Maria. Whereas her siblings both left time in the 13th and 15th year, Catherine Mary Seton lived to the ripe old age of 91 (1800-1891). She was a Sister of Mercy for 45 years. She was first called "Sister Mary Seton", but at the end of her life, she was known as "Mother Mary Seton".

Thus, it can be observed by a person in modern times, a type of adoption as had Joshua-ben-Josef endured, living his early years West of the Sea of Galilee and his later years on the Eastern Shores (NOTE 2 see UB 129). For it should be noted that Jesus may have had a certain type of Clanship Adoption when in his thirteenth year, and as he made pilgrimage to Jerusalem to become an consecrated adult of Israel (SEE UB 125). I am referring to Simon of Bethany who lived on Olivet as the one who adopted jesus, so that it can be seen in a very real way how Lazarus, Martha, and Mary were Jesus' brother and sisters.

The Urantia Book does not explicitly state that Jesus had had his clanship-type adoption official for the family, so allow me to advance some of the facts presented from the Book:
[list=]Lazarus, Mary, and Martha treated jesus as if brother
Simon invited Joseph, Mary, and Jesus to Passover
Jesus stayed at Bethany after becoming fully-vested adult citizen, signifying choice
[/list]
This was a period of sela-reliance for the young man of Nazareth, where he had been drifting apart from an imposed-type of direction. Jesus seemed to be reluctant to enter the Jerusalem temple-colleges at fifteen years aged. He was developing in a direction that Joseph could no longer provide nor foresee, and the Clanship-adoption brought him closer to Jerusalem.

In Part III History of Urantia (see UB 68), it is said that the Home is the foundation of Society whereas civilization was forged through Clanship alliances which led to tribes and towns forming. I have been investigating the mystery of how Jesus has "two fathers". There is the earthly version of parent in Joseph, and the Heavenly Father whom communicated with Jesus often. Just as Jesus has become our world's example of the Heavenly Father (of HIS FATHER), Simon of Bethany provides some example, a glimpse, of the actuality of paradise father for the young Jesus. With his vineyard and olive trees, his clan's gardens and welcoming attitude of pilgrims, Jesus and his Parents were taken into the home of Bethany.

In addition to all these reasons, perhaps the most convincing fact that Jesus had gone through a clanship-type adoption with the Bethany family was that he returned to their estate each day after listening to the discussions in the Jerusalem tempel. It was only natural for him to do so, and it seems he did so without choice: after his choice had been made.

Jesus approached Jerusalem not quite a man, and he convinced Mary & Joseph to celebrate the Passover with Simon instead of Mary's relatives at Jerusalem. He returned to Nazareth as a citizen of Israel, and, I think, part of the family of Simon.

Catherine Seton had a birth mother in Elizabeth and then an adoptive-type mother in Julia Scott; likewise, she had been known in her convent first as Sister Mary, later as Mother Mary. Upon the sudden demise of Joseph, Jeshua had the yolk of fatherhood thrust upon his shoulders; he progressed from brother into father. Considering their young age, Jesus' youngest siblings Amos, Jude, & Ruth his youngest each looked upon him as father. Jesus was not only the eldest Son of the Children born through Mary's womb: he became their father.

In some fashion, most Children of God will enter into a nearly identical transition in order to attain the father. As it is said in "Hero with 1000 faces" by Campbell, each Child must become indoctrinated, separate, and return AS the father. The same Providence that God gives to the universe must the earth-father attempt to provide for the home; indeed the Child begins life as seeing the Home as "my little universe". This was true for Jesus-ben-Joseph; it is true for all earth-fathers even if the father provides the home purely from gifts he has received.

NOTES:
1. For info on Catherine Seton, please see "MacNamarra's Blog" http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mcnamarasb ... -1891.html or "DePaul University" http://via.library.depaul.edu/cgi/viewc ... ontext=vhj
2. The Urantia Bible does not explicitly state that Simon of Bethany gave Jesus a formal type of Clanship adoption; Salome, wife of Zebedee, who lived on the eastern shores of Galilee did refer to Jesus as "One, the Same as my own Son", which definetly indicates adoption into Zebedee's home.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted:  

Jesus did not tell any lie, but in some scenarios, He allows his brother or sister or mother to believe what they want to believe.

"Ganid's father many times tried to persuade Jesus to return with them to India, but Jesus always declined, pleading the necessity for returning to his family in Palestine." (130:0.7)

This is further evidence that Jesus truly had been adopted by Simon, the father of Martha, Mary, & Lazarus who lived in Palestine. I discount this fact for two reasons: Jesus was actually born in Palestine, and later Jesus admits he lived his formative childhood years in Galilee.

It is very important that I admit the Spiritual Father's relationship with Jesus has primary importance. He welcomes pilgrims into his home with love just like Simon.

Profile Send private message