Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:59 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Paper 68, section 3 describes the value of primitive ghost fear, where paragraph 2 begins: "Probably the greatest single factor in the evolution of human society was the ghost dream...."
Paper 86, section 4, paragraph 1 re-emphasizes this observation. The revelators have first provided a concept to mull over and then later flesh it out so that it can take root and adjust our historical perspective.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I don't remember the content of this section on Ghost fear Larry. I Guess I'll have to look it up again. It appears that it may be very important.

Thanks Larry.

God Bless You and all here. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Papers 81-92 chronicle the evolutionary flow, the of development from primitive human being to cosmic citizen, the increasingly improved contact of the seven adjutant mind spirits with human consciousness — like radio frequencies being slowly dialed in, improving reception. The evolution of religion elevated primitive mind away from strict self-preservation and self-gratification to higher meanings and values which eventually lead to contact with deity. From the ghost dream and ghost fear through fetishes, charms, and magic, the concepts raise above the mundane to more spiritual levels and as humanity and cultures progress and change, so do the expressions of the more primitive concepts alter to keep pace with the advances of civilization. They mature into the foundations for evolutionary development.

In Paper 89 numerous figurative references to economic concepts are used such as interest, debt, regulation, insurance, poverty, fraction, etc. The ghost fear, charms, and magic of ancient history are being shown by the revelators to have evolved into higher concepts incorporated into the economic environment — far from simply being discarded, they still lie under the surface but are adapted and expressed now in more meaningful and valuable concepts for an evolving civilization.

~~~~~~~~

At 89:4.9 is a nearly incomprehensible list of property sacrificed in order to gain favor with the gods. This list, from the reign of king Ramesses III, is translated from The Great Harris Papyrus located in the British Museum. In TUB the list shows "5,740,352 sacks of coin" had been sacrificed — the translation of the papyrus shows this to have been "5,740,352 sacks of corn" — this is therefore a transcription error in the text of TUB.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks for the update and correction from "Coin" to "corn." It makes more sense that way. Occasionally when errors like this are found they are corrected in newer editions. And I believe there is a place, maybe on this site, where those changes are noted. Do you know where that is?

I enjoyed the second half of blog talk. I put in my user ID last week and this because I forgot my password, and it said it emailed me a password, but I never get it. But I can listen and phone in. But like this morning I was on the line about thirty-five minutes but because my ID is blocked I only show-up as 0000's or 1111's on her board and sometimes she misses me. Like today Brother Dave in Canada got on while I was waiting because she could see his caller ID. I think I'm going to try to get mine unblocked then people can see who I am. I block it by mistake when they first offered it.

God Bless you Larry and thanks for all you do! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Joer,
As far as I know, the "coin"/"corn" discrepancy hadn't been caught before since it's not shown up in previous corrections that I'm aware of. This may be just another example of Chris Halvorson's many unique perceptions. I have updated the "corrections" document on Truthbook now -- which you'll find under "The Urantia Book" on the left side of the home page and listed as "Corrections And Changes Made To The Urantia Book Since The First Printing."

Today's BlogTalkRadio.com/CosmicCitizen program was a very good one with Sara Blackstock, parenting and children. The password thing is a challenge -- I keep a text file on my computer with the information for all the various passwords I use in case I forget. Also, the FireFox browser will keep track of them for you once you've signed into a site and sign you back in so you don't have to remember.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Larry. Thanks a lot for the update.
Quote:
Also, the FireFox browser will keep track of them for you once you've signed into a site and sign you back in so you don't have to remember.

That's what I think is not working for me. The Fire Fox. It knows me. I try to reregister and can't because it says I'm already registered. It says it's sending a password to my email but that's what I don't get.

It's not a big deal Larry. I can still watch listen and call in. If I get a chance email Blog Talk radio and let them know what's happening. BUT if I get on my ol WIN 98 PC I get it off of that. so I'll get it one way or the other. And I appreciate all your help brother. I saw Norman Ingram on the chat blog at the end. With Pato's concert last night in Lahina I wonder where they will be going from there. I'll bet Paradise Pilgrim was real excited being at his first concert with Pato as Pato's guest.

I look forward to hearing from him when he gets settled down again.

Peace my brother Larry and Thank You.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Some caution and some analysis are usually required when lifting quotes from the book in response to answering questions. Statements from the book can't always be taken literally or just lifted from context without understanding their place within the flow of ideas as they're being laid down by the revelators.
For example, the beginning of Paper 89, section 2, paragraph 4 relates that the violation of taboos was considered sin at one point in the evolution of the concepts of sin, sacrifice, and atonement and then proceeds to follow the evolution of those concepts from little if any recognition of man's relationship to Deity up through higher understanding as the tenuous influence of the higher adjutants strengthened throughout the evolutionary processes to more substantial contact. The paper ends with the statement that sin is the deliberate disloyalty to Deity. Without some understanding of the purpose behind the Paper it would be easy enough to use the first definition and ignore the second and miss the point entirely.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thank You Larry.

That's a very good point. Many times you can also find things in the text that seem to contradict each other. When some ones finds one of these apparent contradictions, research and study can usually can find the distinctions that allow for the different meanings in context and intent and circumstance.

This “sin” example is another example of TUB’s statement of relative truth changing in time along with the conceptual frames of reference.

P.1260 - §3 Conceptual frames of the universe are only relatively true; they are serviceable scaffolding which must eventually give way before the expansions of enlarging cosmic comprehension. The understandings of truth, beauty, and goodness, morality, ethics, duty, love, divinity, origin, existence, purpose, destiny, time, space, even Deity, are only relatively true. God is much, much more than a Father, but the Father is man's highest concept of God; nonetheless, the Father-Son portrayal of Creator-creature relationship will be augmented by those supermortal conceptions of Deity which will be attained in Orvonton, in Havona, and on Paradise. Man must think in a mortal universe frame, but that does not mean that he cannot envision other and higher frames within which thought can take place.

Thank You Larry. Peace to ALL here. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Paper 92 -- The Later Evolution of Religion

Regarding the Holy Spirit...
The master force organizers take hold of an area of space and matter and control the diverse energies there, orchestrating and stilling the forces to create a cocoon where suns and planets are stabilized for the eventual reception of life. In a similar fashion does the Holy Spirit, when invited in, take hold of the mind endowment of an individual, building a womb or cocoon of peace and calm within the wandering and diverse thought energies from which both the Thought Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth are able to contact the capricious mind below.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In a similar fashion does the Holy Spirit, when invited in, take hold of the mind endowment of an individual, building a womb or cocoon of peace and calm within the wandering and diverse thought energies from which both the Thought Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth are able to contact the capricious mind below.

I like this Larry. A few things that stick out in my mind:

when invited in, - We do the "inviting in". Right? When in prayer or conscious consecrated desire we sincerely ask for or desire divine guidance in our life. Right?

within the wandering and diverse thought energies I like this expression couched in the metaphor of a nebula spawning stars and worlds of the universe from diverse and swirling energies and materials from within it's womb of cosmic creation.

both the Thought Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth I like the distinctness of the "beings" and "Spiritual Nature" involved. Distinctly different in form and function BUT ALL from the First Source and Center.

the capricious mind - Free Will. - "Can't "Do" with it. Can't "Do" without it." :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Joer,

Yes, I liked this analogy too. I've had trouble understanding where the Mother's Holy Spirit fits into the overall scheme of things and to me this makes sense. Like all spirit ministries, we have to invite the Holy Spirit into our presence -- it's always there, ready to minister but requires our consent. Once the Holy Spirit begins to participate, much like a power director organizing material energy, the Holy Spirit organizes and lays down a quiescent zone in the mind, building a nest from which the Spirit of Truth and the Adjuster can make contact with the mind below. To me, the picture helps in this understanding.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Paper 92

Evolutionary religion is sentimental, not logical.
Evolutionary religion pictures the circuitous gropings of humanity in quest of truth; revelatory religion is that very truth.

Although the mission of the Caligastia 100 was to focus on the infusion of cultural values into primitive societies, the teachings of Dalamation were revelatory.

Although the mission of Adam and Eve was to infuse humanity with improved genetics, the teachings of Adam and Eve were revelatory.

The teachings of Melchizedek and of Jesus were revelatory.

The paragraph at 92:4.9 — The Urantia Papers — is a good introductory paragraph to someone who asks curiously, what's it all about?

... there is an instinctive longing in the heart of evolutionary man for help from above and beyond. This craving is designed to anticipate the appearance on earth of the Planetary Prince and the later Material Sons. On Urantia man has been deprived of these superhuman leaders and rulers, and therefore does he constantly seek to make good this loss by enshourding his human leaders with legends pertaining to supernatural origins and miraculous careers.
Many races have conceived of their leaders as being born of virgins; their careers are liberally sprinkled with miraculous episodes, and their return is always expected by their respective groups. In central Asia the tribesmen still look for the return of Genghis Khan; in Tibet, China, and India it is Buddha; in Islam it is Mohammed; among the Amerinds it was Hesunanin Onamonalonton....

Hesunanin is not Onamonalonton's first name; it's a title meaning Our Father in the Arapaho language. See
http://www.archive.org/stream/indianain ... n_djvu.txt — the term fits the flow of the paragraph which is describing the return aspects of the Our Father concept in other religions..

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"Hesunanin Onamonalonton"

A fascinating bit of UB trivia, Larry. Seriously. Very pertinent point that Hesunanin was not his first name, but a title. Very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thank You Larry. This will be prefect for me to share with my new class on "Native American Art and Culture." I'm still looking for a professor whose not worried about how they would look hosting a "TUB CLUB"! :shock:

One way or another the influence of TUB will enter the consciousness of humankind from innumerable directions. God is ALL and is in ALL.

Hesunanin is not Onamonalonton's first name; it's a title meaning Our Father in the Arapaho language. See
http://www.archive.org/stream/indianain ... n_djvu.txt — the term fits the flow of the paragraph which is describing the return aspects of the Our Father concept in other religions..

Thank You my brother. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Yes, another interesting tidbit from the book... these "incidentals" are dropped like bread crumbs throughout the book, further examples of the revelators guiding our research and discoveries to those valuable human sources which otherwise might be lost but that deserve to be preserved and studied.

Larry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next