Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Study Group Insights —
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

I should have begun this thread with an explanation -- which I didn't do when I started it so I've come back to edit this first post. I attend a weekly Friday night study group in Boulder, Colorado. It's Chris Halvorson's study group, a sequential reading of the book, and is attended on a pretty consistent basis by 20-30 readers, most of whom are long-time students of the book with decades of study behind them. Many of the regulars attended the Boulder School for The Urantia Book back in the '70s and '80s so they know the contents of the book pretty well. Since Chris discovered TUB in the early 90's some of the attendees of his group have been familiar with the book considerably longer than he has. But obviously time is not a factor -- comprehension and insight make all the difference and that's why he keeps the old timers coming back for more.

My plan for this thread has been to post the ahhh hah! moments that often occur during the study group, or other insights that I find new and intriguing that readers new and old here might appreciate. You're welcome to question or comment on these observations (as the following post does) and if I'm unable to answer the questions I'll attempt to get Chris to clarify. The only credit I take for these insights is in posting them as I remember them after the study session -- all other credit goes to Chris.

Video recordings of these study sessions began in May of 2007 with Paper 57 where the sequential study was when recording started. Each weekly study session is available now for viewing over the internet from the website http://www.perfectinghorizons.org/ If you would like to view the study session that correlates with any of the study group insights related in this thread just go to the PerfectingHorizons site and view that particular study group session.

Larry -- 1/2009

--------------------------------------------------------------

Paper 67:4 The Caligastia One Hundred After Rebellion

The 1960s and early 70s were a time of spiritual quickening, a time when the sixth adjutant mind minister, the spirit of worship/zeal was vitalizing social consciousness. The quickening of this minister in the mind can draw the seeker upward and Godward or pull him downward in religious fervor or spiritual zeal and as freewill creatures the direction of pull of this impulse is of our own choosing. An example of the outworking of this minister can be taken from the music of the Beatles, who were then and still are a strong cultural influence through the songs they produced. We assume that the music written by the Beatles was all created from the best of intentions, peace, harmony, love, truth, beauty, and goodness. As far as we know, the Beatles didn't know of or study the Fifth Epochal Revelation, but a couple of their songs can illustrate how an epochal revelation can be found working through the consciousness of individuals, groups, and cultures.

Paul McCartney had a dream that inspired his song Let It Be. He dreamed that his deceased mother had whispered these words to him. It may as well have been Mother Spirit contact through the sixth adjutant drawing him upward to produce this beautiful song.

Let It Be
Paul McCartney (adapted by Chris Halvorson)

When I find myself in times of trouble,
Mother Spirit comes to me.
Speaking words of wisdom; let it be.
And in my hour of darkness,
She is standing right in front of me,

Let it be; let it be;
Let it be; let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom; let it be.

And when the brokenhearted people
Living in the world agree,
There will be an answer; let it be.
For though they may be parted,
There is still a chance that they will see.
There will be an answer; let it be.

Let it be; let it be;
Let it be; let it be.
Yeah, there will be an answer; let it be.
Let it be; let it be;
Let it be; let it be.

Let it be; let it be;
Let it be; yeah, let it be.

And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me.
Shine until tomorrow; let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music;
Mother Spirit comes to me,

Yeah, let it be; let it be;
Oh, there will be an answer; let it be.
Let it be; let it be;
Oh, there will be an answer; let it be.

Let it be; let it be;

John Lennon produced and popularized the Lucifer Manifesto, again, through the best of intentions and the best of musicianship. His contact with the sixth adjutant resulted in the downward pull of spiritual zeal captured in his popular and memorably lovely song Imagine. This gives a glimpse at the persuasive beauty Lucifer would have exemplified through presence and words (and music) as he pursued his declaration of unbridled personal liberty. The effects of the manifesto and rebellion remain with us today.

Imagine [the secular hymn]
John Lennon (annotated by Chris Halvorson)

Imagine there's no heaven; [the first principle of the Lucifer manifesto] *1
It's easy if you try— [it's easy to lower your consciousness—difficult to raise it]
No hell below us,
Above us only sky. [second principle of the Lucifer manifesto] *2
Imagine all the people,
Living for today... [third principle of the Lucifer manifesto] *3

Imagine there's no countries [spiritual impatience for the age of light and life]
It isn't heard to do— [it's easy to be immature]
Nothing to kill or die for, [first principle of the Lucifer manifesto]
And no religion too. [second and third principles of the Lucifer manifesto]
Imagine all the people,
Living life in peace... [invocation of the sophistry]

You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us,
And the world will be as one. [appeal to mere spiritual consciousness]

Imagine no possessions;
I wonder if you can—
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man.
Imagine all the people,
Sharing all the world... [spiritual daydreaming about the age of light and life]

And the world will live as one. [reinforcement of the call to envision unity]

— — —
Footnotes:
1 - no dwelling place for God, no source of purpose, no pattern of perfection; nihilism
2 - no personal responsibility to a hierarchical universe government; anarchism
3 - no cosmic ascension career, no living today for tomorrow; solipsism (it's all about you and your immediate experiences.)
4 - "Nothing"; literally nihilism (i.e., nothing-ism)
5 - no spiritual hierarchy; anarchism + no personal relationship with god; solipsism

Not only did John capture the essence of the Manifesto, he did so in proper sequence; insidious and with a great loveliness it continues to infiltrate our consciousness and philosophical thought.

L. Watkins

Last edited by lwatkins on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 pm +0000, edited 4 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hello Mr Watkins,

This is some curious speculation you have penned , or passed along here. Isn't this your's or somebody's opinion?

"The 1960's and 70's were a time of spiritual quickening...."

That obviously isn't out The Urantia Book, which did not reference any specific future dates of action anywhere

"...a time when the Sixth Adjutant Mind Minister, the Spirit of Worship/[zeal]"

Now someone is renaming the Adjustant Mind Ministers

"...or pull him downward in religious fever or spiritual zeal"

God's spiritual actors [Sons in GOOD standing - as opposed to a Son such as Lucifer who fell out of good standing], pulls mortal children downward? I'm insulting by that statement. Anyone else here insulted?

Did you write this commentary Mr. Watkins or is this someone else's work?

I object to these absurd statements of facts. This is all clearly opinion.

Thank yew

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Vann,

I should have preceded the post with an apology? I think it's titled properly as a study group insight -- that's not a claim to infallibility -- it is of course as you've suggested opinion and speculation but based on application of teachings of the book.

Last edited by lwatkins on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:19 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thank you for the clarification sir !

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

re: Lucifer Manifesto

It seems to me that it doesn't really matter whether someone sites their religious or secular beliefs as authority to master others. Those who attempt to master others are following the Lucifer Manifesto.

Whereas those who know and therefore master themselves demonstrate what the religion of Jesus is all about. This is the peaceful and insightful way to "follow" Jesus and perhaps be an inspiration to others.

re: "Let It Be" and "Imagine"

Two songs in which I have found great truth, meaning, and value.

Paul McCartney could concieveably participate on this thread and tell us what "Let it Be" means to him. However, it does not seem likely that John Lennon could do likewise at this time.

Quote:
Imagine there's no heaven;
It's easy if you try—
No hell below us,
Above us only sky.
Imagine all the people,
Living for today...

At this risk of putting words in John's mouth, I don't believe that John is saying there is no heaven. He is speaking about religious intolerance. This means that people should stop trying to make others accountable for their own religious beliefs. And to stop using religious beliefs to prove one's own superiority. Living for today means living in the eternal NOW where peace reigns supreme.

Quote:
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't heard to do—
Nothing to kill or die for,
And no religion too.
Imagine all the people,
Living life in peace...

Take away all the things which promote division, separation, and conflict among humans (especially male humans) and there will be peace. Again, I don't believe John is arguing against religion. He is saying we need to stop forcing our own personal religious beliefs upon others. And if there were no countries, then there would be no virus of national sovereignty, would there?

Quote:
Imagine no possessions;
I wonder if you can—
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man.
Imagine all the people,
Sharing all the world...

And the world will be as one.

I believe this is what the fourth psychic circle is all about. In my opinion, John attained it.

Last edited by rhermen on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:49 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Good points rhermen -- we can't know what was really on John's mind when he wrote the song (and we'll be vigilant to assure that he doesn't try to tell us here) and in all likelihood your interpretation is as valid as the one I posted. However, people can interpret the words for themselves in either way and I wonder if perhaps in the social climate we've been experiencing these past 50 years or so if the negative viewpoint isn't the more popular one. Certainly with spiritual seekers the words may tend to be interpreted in a more positive way but it's most intriguing that taking them just at face value, without giving them the benefit of the doubt, they portray a sinister message, the kind Caligastia couldn't be more pleased with.

Larry

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Observations on how to study the book.

To reiterate: The Urantia Book is not a "facts" book -- it is a truth revelation in ink.

When reading sections that appear to mainly be a recitation of facts ... after every sentence, pause to reflect and ask yourself "Why?"
The whole point of thought is to discover the "why's".

The only way "why" can be answered is by tapping into the 1st of the 3 cosmic intuitions (logical thinking).
It is the three cosmic intuitions that give objective validity, reality, to man's experience in and with things, meanings, and values.

Consider what your initial assumptions are. It doesn't matter how brilliant you are; if your assumptions are juvenile, your conclusions are juvenile. Your conclusions will follow your assumptions and you will conclude what you assume. Through contemplation of "why" you are more likely to pick a more correct initial assumption.

160:4.8 -- Only those who face facts and adjust them to ideals can achieve wisdom.

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Observations on how to study the book.

160:4.8 -- Only those who face facts and adjust them to ideals can achieve wisdom.

yes, that and of course deleting all the posts which facts differ from management's conception of hand-picked ideals. In summary, man cannot serve two masters.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Majeston,

Opinions are not necessarily facts.

Main Entry: fact
Pronunciation: 'fakt
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin factum, from neuter of factus, past participle of facere
Date: 15th century
1 : a thing done: as a : obsolete : FEAT b : CRIME <accessory after the fact> c : archaic : ACTION
2 : archaic : PERFORMANCE, DOING
3 : the quality of being actual : ACTUALITY <a question of fact hinges on evidence>
4 a : something that has actual existence <space exploration is now a fact> b : an actual occurrence <prove the fact of damage>
5 : a piece of information presented as having objective reality
- in fact : in truth

FYI.

Bill,
Faith son

http://billurantia3.bravehost.com//welc ... ALITY.html

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

As a John Lennon fan from way back, yes, I was offended, but so what? The world does not conform to my way of thinking. To me, John was the one with the insight, and Paul was the one with romance. (George was the one with metaphysics and Ringo was the one that played the drums.)

If I were going to think in terms of music representing Lucifer, I would be far more inclined to think of Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stone's notable tunes on Her Majesty's Satanic Request album -- listening to which I fell down the rabbit hole and had a spiritual experience! (All things being relative).

It's hard to "Imagine" being in a UB study group that contemplated the good and evil of individual Beatle philosophies based on their song-writing skills, but it takes all kinds. Some of the stuff I've heard in study groups is also pretty "far out." But I do tend to shy away from pointing the finger at Cal's minions and toadies ... I might have three fingers pointing right back at me! (All things considered.)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I find Truth, Beauty & Goodness in the lyrics of John & Paul.

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. We do tend to see things on the outside as a reflection of the inside. I would be a bit concerned about one who sees darkness in these wonderful songs. ;)

Christmas Blessings to all.

Peace, Love & Light~

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Observations from conclusion of Paper 69 --

In the physical evolution Papers (57-67) specific dates and eras are used by the revelators to tie the periods given in the book to the timelines science has discovered -- an explanation why these timelines don't coincide was offered in a previous post. In the social, cultural, mores, religions evolution Papers (68-71, 81-92) dates to tie these periods down aren't provided because development here has not been linear like it should have been; even today there are clans, cultures, societies, and nations that exemplify various aspects of each of the stages described in these evolution Papers. Living stone-age cultures which haven't evolved beyond the ghost fear stage exist alongside cultures that have had men walk on the moon and study a revelation of truth that's not normally disclosed until well into the Paradise ascent. Such a life on such a planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Paper 70 -- The Evolution of Human Government Sections 3-6

The founding fathers, the authors of the Constitution of the United States of America, were inspired -- they created a historically wholly new form of government -- one established with executive, legislative, and judicial branches; the divine three-fold pattern of spiritual administration reproduced in a newly independent nation on a material world. In order for light and life to be achieved much of the rest of the world will evolve to and through a similar form of government.

While reading about the evolution from primitive human institutions toward higher evolved social organizations don't bog down in the details -- they're there to help direct your thoughts to the earlier papers, correlating the evolution of human institutions with the hierarchy of spiritual administration -- a pattern to be emulated here on earth. These government evolution sections aren't tied to timelines as the geological evolution sections were because all these human institutions exist here simultaneously, which is one of the reasons there is such turmoil and strife in our world today.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

For those who may be interested in dropping in on an on-line study group, Chris Halvorson's New Horizons Friday night study group from Boulder, Colorado, is available on Skypecast now on a weekly basis.

Skype allows its users to have video and audio conversations with anyone on the internet at no cost. Skypecasts are actually large hosted audio transmissions using Skype -- all that's required is to download and install the current version of Skype available at ttp://www.skype.com/download/

To listen to Chris's study group you'll need to have Skype installed and then you can sign onto the Skypecast web site --
https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/home -- at 7:30PM Mountain Time (GMT -7) on Friday evening. Do a search for "Urantia" and sign onto the study group Skypecast when it begins; it runs until 9PM or shortly thereafter. You should be able to type in comments or questions during the broadcast.

Currently, January, 2008, we're studying Paper 70, The Evolution of Human Government in a sequential study of the book. A word about Chris Halvorson. Chris is a rocket scientist, he holds a PhD in physics and works in Boulder in atmospheric research. His weekly study group is open but consists primarily of 15-25 long-time (20 years or more) students of the book who have found Chris's insight and synthesis of the teachings of the book to be considered phenomenal. His integration of the spiritual aspects of the teachings with the facts of the revelation is inspirational and articulate. Many of us believe that Chris may be the premier teacher of the revelation -- drop in on the Skypecast and see what you think. You will find several articles by Chris in the Spiritual Studies section of the Truthbook.com website.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Indispensable – Paper 70, Sections 7 and 8

The revelators use the word "indispensable" 58 times in 57 paragraphs in the book, 8 of those times are used in association with evolving society and culture. It makes good sense to understand just what it is that the revelators consider to be indispensable for cultural evolution to achieve its destiny in light of the fact that these themes tend to be highly confrontational to both spiritual idealists and material secularists. By confronting the opinions of both idealists and secularists the revelators encourage a change in premise or initial viewpoint to a more enlightened, less dogmatic one. Some of those indispensable events in social evolution are: War and conflict, racial tension, slavery, and flexible and shifting social classes. These tend to be topics of contention among many students of the book, the question being just why did they have to say those bad things in about races or why the concentration on war and strife or why is one race subjugated by another ... Because they're indispensable to social evolution.

On another study group insight, in Section 7 we read "Primitive people very early taught their adolescent youth sex control. It became the custom to take boys away from parents from puberty to marriage." We also read that "Among the tribes the boy remained under the watchcare of his father as long as the father lived." This understanding, that youth need control and guidance and not permissiveness, especially males, is understood even at the animal level of mind, without the benefit of the seventh adjutant even higher animals provide such stability and control -- consider the social structure of a herd of elephants which provides considerably more structure than many human families do.

Certainly we can improve upon the restrictions primitive cultures impose but what is the pervasive family structure in America today? What does this indicate about the concept of educating boys and girls in separate environments at least up to a certain point; how about school uniforms? Further, in Paper 111 we're cautioned that "The inner and the outer worlds have a different set of values. Any civilization is in jeopardy when three quarters of its youth enter materialistic professions and devote themselves to the pursuit of the sensory activities of the outer world. Civilization is in danger when youth neglect to interest themselves in ethics, sociology, eugenics, philosophy, the fine arts, religion, and cosmology." What does this indicate about the state of evolution of our culture?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next