Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:35 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I'm nearing my 40th birthday and have spent more than a few years wondering what exactly constitutes the "age of discretion". I would like to hear from any of you that have already reached this age and/or surpassed it. Did you notice any marked change in your thought patterns or demeanor? Do you feel your decision-making capabilities were improved or impeded in any way? Did you find your thoughts more spiritualized or perhaps better centered on a principle of wisdom over knowledge? I would imagine the experience of turning this age is very subjective and personal and so it would be difficult to quantify or explain certain experiences or thought patterns, but I would also imagine that there are certain symptoms or traits that are commonly shared.

In short: Let's talk about getting old(er).

107:0.7 (1177.1) On the evolutionary worlds, will creatures traverse three general developmental stages of being: From the arrival of the Adjuster to comparative full growth, about twenty years of age on Urantia, the Monitors are sometimes designated Thought Changers. From this time to the attainment of the age of discretion, about forty years, the Mystery Monitors are called Thought Adjusters. From the attainment of discretion to deliverance from the flesh, they are often referred to as Thought Controllers. These three phases of mortal life have no connection with the three stages of Adjuster progress in mind duplication and soul evolution.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted:  

Great question! To me it's the age of full adult maturity, an age when one is released from the instinctiveness of youth, when genuine free will truly begins to assert itself, an age of the beginning of spiritual enlightenment, as opposed to material and social understanding. At least that is my view from age 70.

PostPosted:  

i'm not 100% sure how to read the text there. dunno if they're saying the "age of discretion" is around 40 years of age or around 40 years after the "age of full growth" at 20ish. Discretion is tied with wisdom which would make me think it's the latter...around 60 years of age...and since i'm only 62 and we're only aware of growth in hindsight it's too early for me to call.

PostPosted:  

Interesting question! The first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread is that it was around the time I reached my mid-40's that I truly felt liberated and confident in my own ability to make decisions and to judge right from wrong. Even moreso, it was an age at which I consciously empowered myself to no longer worry about what other people thought, but to truly go my own way and 'do my thing', as they say.

I was curious what the formal definition of 'discretion' is, since I imagine the revelators choose their words deliberately. Here is the dictionary.com definition:

Discretion: the power or right to decide or act according to one's own judgment; freedom of judgment or choice

I think the key here is that one feels empowered/ free to make independent choices. It does not refer to whether or not those choices are the right choices. Being able to discern our Father's will is what leads to good quality decisions, and I think it will take a lot longer than 40 years to get there; at least in my experience.

PostPosted:  

dis·cre·tion
[dəˈskreSH(ə)n]

NOUN
the quality of behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offense or revealing private information:
"she knew she could rely on his discretion"
synonyms: circumspection · carefulness · caution · wariness · chariness · guardedness · tact · tactfulness · diplomacy · delicacy · sensitivity · prudence · judiciousness

the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation:
"it is up to local authorities to use their discretion in setting the charges" · [more]
synonyms: choice · option · preference · disposition · volition · pleasure · liking · wish · will · inclination · desire

A link to some interesting quotes using "discretion":

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=di ... ORM=IQFRBA

8)

Further definitions and synonyms above.

Good thoughts from all!!

Science is proving that 'risk assessment' capacity in the brain doesn't develop until the 20's. Like Agon, the 40's were a definite turning point in my own discernment and discretion. Didn't even begin making any good decisions until my 30's; at least none that were future oriented really. Hard to believe I even survived my 20's! (now 65)

Experience in better choosing/decisions leads to greater discernment, wisdom, maturity, and discretion. Self mastery grows and feels the pull of the gravity circuits delivering ever better responses at the intersections of decision/choice.

PostPosted:  

rick warren wrote:
Great question! To me it's the age of full adult maturity, an age when one is released from the instinctiveness of youth, when genuine free will truly begins to assert itself, an age of the beginning of spiritual enlightenment, as opposed to material and social understanding. At least that is my view from age 70.

This coincides with what others have told me concerning "discretion". There appears to occur this internal correlation in the mind between wisdom and free-will; The ability to make decisions that are more oriented towards internal expansion rather than outward expression, the ability to take action that is informed by experience (wisdom) over information (knowledge), a fuller consecration of freewill choices geared towards social responsibility and the impulse to serve, etc...

With several decades of post-40-maturity under your belt, do you personally feel you've found an internal balance of sorts or are you still challenged by the human side of you conflicting with the spirit desires of a soul-in-the-making?

Makalu wrote:
i'm not 100% sure how to read the text there. dunno if they're saying the "age of discretion" is around 40 years of age or around 40 years after the "age of full growth" at 20ish. Discretion is tied with wisdom which would make me think it's the latter...around 60 years of age...and since i'm only 62 and we're only aware of growth in hindsight it's too early for me to call.

Hindsight is always 20/20 right? :smile:

Being just 62 years young, my question for you is the same as what I posed to Rick: Do you feel as if your mind now is better...attenuated shall we say? Not so much of a screaming "give me!" but moreso a "what can I give to you" response? Do you find you can better internalize values rather than just process ideas? Have certain concepts within TUB become easier to conceptualize for you compared to 10 or 20 years ago?

I feel like a toddler asking the adults in the room, "What is it like being old?"

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Interesting question! The first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread is that it was around the time I reached my mid-40's that I truly felt liberated and confident in my own ability to make decisions and to judge right from wrong. Even moreso, it was an age at which I consciously empowered myself to no longer worry about what other people thought, but to truly go my own way and 'do my thing', as they say.

I was curious what the formal definition of 'discretion' is, since I imagine the revelators choose their words deliberately. Here is the dictionary.com definition:

Discretion: the power or right to decide or act according to one's own judgment; freedom of judgment or choice

I think the key here is that one feels empowered/ free to make independent choices. It does not refer to whether or not those choices are the right choices. Being able to discern our Father's will is what leads to good quality decisions, and I think it will take a lot longer than 40 years to get there; at least in my experience.

That is my take-away from that section as well: It is an age in which one can better discern good choices from bad along with a better or more complete consecration of will and action. It's hard to discern whether this change comes about due to overall maturity (adulthood makes us all a little more responsible), or if there is some form of actual physical/mindal/personality transformation that better facilitates the Thought Adjuster's work. I don't personally believe anything is transformed via an external response or circuit (*cough* The Spirit of Truth), but I can't help but wonder why TUB even assigns such a change to a specific age range? It is clearly significant, but how significant? Can this age of discernment happen at 30? Can it happen at 55? Like the bestowal of the Thought Adjuster is it an inevitable occurrence? Like much of the TUB I often find myself saying, "Can you elaborate on that?"

P.S. I like the play-on-words that is your username

fanofVan wrote:

Experience in better choosing/decisions leads to greater discernment, wisdom, maturity, and discretion. Self mastery grows and feels the pull of the gravity circuits delivering ever better responses at the intersections of decision/choice.

I like this, it cuts right to the meat of issue; "better responses at the intersections of decision/choice".

Thank you everyone for your responses and I am grateful for hearing from some of the more "wisened" members of the forum. "When in doubt ask the olds". I would love to talk more about your experiences and perspectives - maybe this can be the thread for older members to "wax spiritual" and talk about chronic joint pain.

PostPosted:  

Jupiter wrote:
Thank you everyone for your responses and I am grateful for hearing from some of the more "wisened" members of the forum. "When in doubt ask the olds". I would love to talk more about your experiences and perspectives - maybe this can be the thread for older members to "wax spiritual" and talk about chronic joint pain.

Hahahahhaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :!: :!: :wink: :wink: 8)

Asking and listening and learning are 3 distinct issues to be sure! Thanks for asking...and listening! However, age does not in and of itself deliver any great wisdom. Wisdom does require learning and change. Spiritual wisdom also requires some success by the TA in the quest for spiritization of the mind and growth of the soul (Circle Progress).

I think wisdom requires an ever growing humility personally; a growing trust in God and faith in God's purpose, power, plan, wisdom, and love; a perspective of the world, its people, and its challenges by a time unit that includes the far past and distant future; a philosophy of living that is increasingly defined by our ability to discern meaning and embrace value within relationships and at the intersections of decision; a purposeful life that is focused outside and beyond one's own self interest; and a feeling of belonging and well being that comes from genuine service and love of others in this friendly universe. All these contribute to one's peace of mind and happiness...the joy of living regardless of our own circumstance and situation.....and chronic joint pain!

The UB describes such reality alignment results as the fruits of the spirit. We are taught that experiential wisdom does not eliminate the edges of material conflict and the vicissitudes of living. Nor does uncertainty diminish. But confidence grows despite uncertainty. Wisdom begins to bring relief to the anxieties often associated in uncertainty. We are also told that ignorance + prejudice are the greatest of inhibitors to personal spiritual growth. Some of us do not ever grow beyond our lack of knowledge and our love of our current opinions, knowledge, and beliefs. And for those, age only delivers an irascible and opinionated moron. Age, obviously, does not deliver any great store of character or wisdom.

We're told (somewhere...can't find the text just yet) that when human longevity delivered grandparents into the family then civilization took a might leap forward. A review of Papers 68 and 69 reveals an interesting parallel between the Mortal Epochs and the individual's path of progress. What one of us might do in one life takes a million years or two for an entire world. Weird. Each of us since Andon and Fonta can achieve personal light and life....a spirit led and spirit filled life founded upon truth, beauty, and goodness....those fruits of Divine Love.

Finally, for now....let me suggest another viewing of Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men!! The ladies are so lovely and the guys are such dopes...but love of others overcomes much. Much indeed!

Thanks for being here Jupiter...you young whippersnapper you!! Giggles and grins at you. 8)

Your new friend...Bradly

Oh yes...thanks to all you other geezers too....very well said!

My generation had a saying....never trust anyone over 30!....Oh Dear. What to do now?

PostPosted:  

Jupiter wrote:

Being just 62 years young, my question for you is the same as what I posed to Rick: Do you feel as if your mind now is better...attenuated shall we say? Not so much of a screaming "give me!" but moreso a "what can I give to you" response? Do you find you can better internalize values rather than just process ideas? Have certain concepts within TUB become easier to conceptualize for you compared to 10 or 20 years ago?

hmm well the book found me when i was about 25 and i studied it up one side and down the other for about three years before i decided i needed to just put the book away and focus on putting into practice some fundamental lessons in the papers. and about 7 or 8 years after that i began to notice that some formerly decisions/choices had become more like habitual/automatic responses to reality and a mindal improvement in that regard. and there's been further absorption and "crystallizations" since then, for better or worse, and an increase in the "fruits of the spirit" internally and externally and general slow maturity across the board. i'm not aware of any major shifts around 40 or 60...i might have been distracted by a shiny object or chronic joint pain and didnt notice it though. i dont know that my grasp of concepts in TUB is any better, but my reach is longer.

guess i'm noticing my mind work a bit slower sometimes as i age which could facilitate the art of discretion...