Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:01 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: "Live This Life"
PostPosted:  

Quote:
1:2.2 The eternal God is infinitely more than reality idealized or the universe personalized. God is not simply the supreme desire of man, the mortal quest objectified. Neither is God merely a concept, the power-potential of righteousness. The Universal Father is not a synonym for nature, neither is he natural law personified. God is a transcendent reality, not merely man’s traditional concept of supreme values. God is not a psychological focalization of spiritual meanings, neither is he “the noblest work of man.” God may be any or all of these concepts in the minds of men, but he is more. He is a saving person and a loving Father to all who enjoy spiritual peace on earth, and who crave to experience personality survival in death.

"He is a saving person and a loving Father to all who enjoy spiritual peace on earth. . ."

Hmmmmm!

Can you describe that person in the same way you would describe any other person? Tell me about him and how you know him. Please don't quote the book unless you are able to use the passage to augment the reality of your own personal experience. I already know what the book says I have already read it several times. I want to know what you say.

This idea came up in my soul when I remembered hearing a song by the country duo Big & Rich who came to our town over the weekend. The song is called "Live This Life"

Here are some of the lyrics:

Met a man on the street last night
Said his name was Jesus
Met a man on the street last night
Thought he was crazy till I watched him heal a blind man
Watched him heal a blind man now I see

I live this life until this life won't let me live here anymore
Then I will walk yes I will walk
With patience through that open door
I have no fears, angels follow me wherever I may go
I live this life until this life won't let me live here anymore

So my thought was this. Am I living THIS life, the one God has for me or am I still trying to live MY life and trying to align it with God? You see, I actually met Jesus on a street, for real. It wasn't until after that that I decided to find out who others said he was but my relationship with him started out as real and personal. I met a person, not an idea. Because of that I use that ongoing experience as the qualifier of all my understandings, though sometimes I am a very poor student. But I constantly wonder how others see the reality of this person we call Jesus. It seems most of our discussions on this board are merely theoretical and I find that sad.

Lets see if we can deepen the tone of the conversation to honest personal experience.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: "Live This Life"
PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Lets see if we can deepen the tone of the conversation to honest personal experience.

This is a great idea Jim. It just so happens, and I don't believe in coincidences, that I had a particularly power spiritual experience today.

Each day I wake and ask God what I should do this day. Who will He put before me to teach me and be taught by me in His Will. I know that He uses me and others as His Will. A patient was sad today because she felt the difficulties of illness were wearing her down. I told her that I understood because I too am a diabetic. At that exact moment in time I asked Father what to say to her. Immediately, and in an instant, the words came to my mind. I told her that affliction is an opportunity to exercise faith and to grow in faith. That the hurdles of life are to be savored in the sense that by surmounting them, it brings us closer to God. Life and our willingness to live it fully, with slings and arrows included, is the way to perfection. Then I reminded her that we are given eternity to complete the task at hand. Then she reminded me of Our Father when she opened her arms to embrace me in recognition. She thanked me and I thanked her. Then we both thanked our Father and His Son. We both left the exam room renewed. We all need to remind each other to live life to the fullest. And Our Father in heaven has a way of facilitating this if we only pay attention. Thanks Jim.

Louis

Last edited by toto on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:25 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Now here is a relevant quote.

Quote:
100:4.6 You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor's motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality. Love is infectious, and when human devotion is intelligent and wise, love is more catching than hate. But only genuine and unselfish love is truly contagious. If each mortal could only become a focus of dynamic affection, this benign virus of love would soon pervade the sentimental emotion-stream of humanity to such an extent that all civilization would be encompassed by love, and that would be the realization of the brotherhood of man.

Thanks Louis your daily effort is my goal as well.

Jim

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Quote:

Can you describe that person in the same way you would describe any other person?

Jesus has a smile that could change a person's life after seeing it. He loves children and has an infectious good nature and humor that allows everyone around him to feel playful and loved. He is never in a hurry. He seeks solitude for communing with his Father and to meditate on the issues that concern or trouble him. He is entirely forgiving and demonstrates sincere interest in whomever he is talking with and understands their unspoken worries and cares.

When his apostles debated current affairs of the day or politics or societal ills, Jesus always lifted the conversation up to more spiritual matters. He ultimately exemplifies the statement, "Seek the greater thing, and the lesser will be found therein; ask for the heavenly, and the earthly shall be included. The shadow is certain to follow the substance." 165:05.03

PostPosted:  

Agon,

Your comments allow me to remember the feeling of discovering Jesus' presence. I imagine his hand on my shoulder as he points out the path ahead and asks me what I choose to do. I remember saying "I will follow you all the way, forever." Amazing what his presence does in us.

This morning I was sharing with a co-worker the pleasure of discovering the "mirror of divine value" as I called it, in my soul where I get to see the reality of God and become conscious of my own identity at the same time. Seeing myself in His eyes enables me to value what he values and focus on that as my direction. He is so gracious and loving while leaving no stone unturned when it comes to the areas of my mirror that need cleaning.

Thanks,

Jim

PostPosted:  

Hi Jim, I'm definitely living this life in my own way and trying to align it with God. I really have no idea what God's life for me should be, or maybe I'm too much of a scardy-cat to try it. As many times as I have read this book, I still do not know if what I do is gonna cut it after this world or not. Love people, yes I do. Walk the walk, I try. Talk the talk, definitely not. I lean hard towards the disciple, and away from the apostle mode. Still trying to surf the perfect wave of life. I try to find that fine line between religion and materialism, and mostly fail. I grew up despising religion, came from a family of agnostics leaning towards atheism. Still never set foot in a church except that time I got married 30 years ago, and a couple of other friends marriages after that. So what does that make me? I really have no idea.

I've never met Jesus on the street. Seen some pretty crazy people who said they have. Love the Life and Teachings part tho... Its my second favorite behind the history of the planet. Love the whole concept of the book. Hoping to make it as a Finaliter. But who knows? Some here say you got to be 110% committed to survive. If that's the case then all the really great folks I know won't make it and neither will I.

See you on the other side?

PostPosted:  

This thread is disturbing for me because it is a reminder of where I am not.

When the UB illuminates about faith sons, their attributes, abilities and love; the only thing that comes to my mind whenever I read about this is, I'm not that or I'm not there or that's not me.

The only comfort I have is this drive that seems to consume me, a strong pull away from where I am to something greater.
My catholic upbringing has left an imprint on my soul, the residual of doubt and guilt that seems to be taking my whole lifetime to eradicate.

I have had only one experience of communication with my TA for about 20 minutes where my mind was silenced through practice. I was never more fully awake, what was said was really not as significant as the reality of being in a different realm during that experience. I've had other experiences which can only be defined as being "religious" but, they are sporadic, random and come when I don't expect them.

As far as learning to love a new person each day......not happening. Learning to love unselfishly......not happening.
Although I know I'm on the path to God, I could not tell you that my soul is growing, perhaps over 10 or more years I've changed a bit but, living day by day as a man of God, in the soul of God or Jesus, No.

The only true religious feeling I possess is the feeling of being stricken. Something is missing inside me, there is a barrier. It is as if I live my life in a fog and that the fog has a poison in it. My experience is that everyone I have ever met seems to have the same condition with the exception of my Father, the only truly Godly man I ever knew. My Father is my only life example of the fruits of the spirit. But I'm not him nor do I want to be. I like being me, faults and all.

I have to live with whatever faith I can muster, faith is all I really have day by day. A trust in a "divine working" behind-the-scenes that I realize is there even though I am completely unconscious of it, if that makes any sense at all. My only assurance of sonship is the experience of faith. I don't have much living religious experience, not daily or weekly and if it is there that often, I'm unaware. Actually at this stage in my life I prefer being in the dark anyhow. I need my faith tested and I'm okay being alone on the journey for now. I actually have prayed for the wisdom to disbelieve in any outward "signs" or stimulus so to speak--my tendencies to imagine my religious self importance. At this point my journey has taken me inward anyway.

The quote below illustrates an experience I had only once but, at least I have that. There are no atheists who have my sympathies. I can't go there, atheism is the opposite of who I am and it has been that way for me all my life. Never in my life have I been without God so, I always question, have I been born again? And, I can't answer that question, perhaps because I'm not or because my being born again is not a sudden event rather a process that is and has been taking place for some time now since my youth.

196:3.34 (2097.2) The great challenge to modern man is to achieve better communication with the divine Monitor that dwells within the human mind. Man’s greatest adventure in the flesh consists in the well-balanced and sane effort to advance the borders of self-consciousness out through the dim realms of embryonic soul-consciousness in a wholehearted effort to reach the borderland of spirit-consciousness — contact with the divine presence. Such an experience constitutes God-consciousness, an experience mightily confirmative of the pre-existent truth of the religious experience of knowing God. Such spirit-consciousness is the equivalent of the knowledge of the actuality of sonship with God. Otherwise, the assurance of sonship is the experience of faith.

So, that's how I live this life.

Paul

PostPosted:  

In the book of Hebrews chapter 11 verse 5 and 6 we can read: "It was by faith that Enoch was taken up to heaven without dying—“he disappeared, because God took him.”For before he was taken up, he was known as a person who pleased God. 6 And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him."

In the Urantia Book, Jesus is recorded as having made the following comments.
Quote:
140:1.5 "Your message to the world shall be: Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and in finding these, all other things essential to eternal survival shall be secured therewith. And now would I make it plain to you that this kingdom of my Father will not come with an outward show of power or with unseemly demonstration. You are not to go hence in the proclamation of the kingdom, saying, 'it is here' or 'it is there,' for this kingdom of which you preach is God within you.

To me, you describe your life as the shepherd did, "I walk through the valley of the shadow of death", or as Ezekiel called it, the Valley of Dry Bones.

Step by step through our own valleys of dry bones, that is what we all do. The world in which we live may be everything from hard and harsh to wonderful and beautiful but the valleys I am describing are the vast voids we discover in our own beings as we replace each moment of self consciousness with the reality of God consciousness. In doing that we discover that true spiritual experience isn't as much an event as a process.

Al's description of his way is just as valid as yours Paul. We all tread the path laid out for us, if we will. All God wants is that we will.

Jim

PostPosted:  

Paul, it's all OK. I know that you are pointed in the right direction. You just have to keep on moving. Slow movers take in more of the sights. God has you.

Louis