Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:54 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The Urantia Book says a lot of things and reveals even more.

It seems generally that the focus of this forum is on what it says about this or that particular thing, to exact detail.

But what's the main thing it's saying?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted:  

Great topic nod. Here is my vote for, "the main thing", category.

2:0.2 The nature of God can be studied in a revelation of supreme ideas, the divine character can be envisaged as a portrayal of supernal ideals, but the most enlightening and spiritually edifying of all revelations of the divine nature is to be found in the comprehension of the religious life of Jesus of Nazareth, both before and after his attainment of full consciousness of divinity. If the incarnated life of Michael is taken as the background of the revelation of God to man, we may attempt to put in human word symbols certain ideas and ideals concerning the divine nature which may possibly contribute to a further illumination and unification of the human concept of the nature and the character of the personality of the Universal Father

PostPosted:  

2:6.4 The concept of God as a king-judge, although it fostered a high moral standard and created a law-respecting people as a group, left the individual believer in a sad position of insecurity respecting his status in time and in eternity. The later Hebrew prophets proclaimed God to be a Father to Israel; Jesus revealed God as the Father of each human being. The entire mortal concept of God is transcendently illuminated by the life of Jesus. Selflessness is inherent in parental love. God loves not like a father, but as a father. He is the Paradise Father of every universe personality.

PostPosted:  

And HOW do we do all this? We walk the walk. These boards allow us to expend great energy explaining to each other our understanding, including the meaning and our associated beliefs. Yet we all know that if we are truly walking the walk, the view will change, our perspective will change and, low and behold, we may actually see or grow to experience some item or event we had not anticipated. Sometimes these experiences change our ideas significantly. I suggest we spend some real time pondering the following to make sure we are truly on board.
Quote:
132:3.5 (1459.5) But truth can never become man’s possession without the exercise of faith. This is true because man’s thoughts, wisdom, ethics, and ideals will never rise higher than his faith, his sublime hope. And all such true faith is predicated on profound reflection, sincere self-criticism, and uncompromising moral consciousness. Faith is the inspiration of the spiritized creative imagination.

Knowing the Urantia Book makes us hungry to change the world, living the truth of God actually does it.

Jim

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Knowing the Urantia Book makes us hungry to change the world, living the truth of God actually does it.

Thank you Jim.

Louis

99:5.10 Jesus did not require of his followers that they should periodically assemble and recite a form of words indicative of their common beliefs. He only ordained that they should gather together to actually do something—partake of the communal supper of the remembrance of his bestowal life on Urantia.

137:2.5 It suddenly dawned on Philip that Jesus was a really great man, possibly the Messiah, and he decided to abide by Jesus' decision in this matter; and he went straight to him, asking, “Teacher, shall I go down to John or shall I join my friends who follow you?” And Jesus answered, “Follow me.” Philip was thrilled with the assurance that he had found the Deliverer.

137:2.7 Philip ledNathaniel to Jesus, who, looking benignly into the face of the sincere doubter, said: “Behold a genuine Israelite, in whom there is no deceit. Follow me.” And Nathaniel, turning to Philip, said: “You are right. He is indeed a master of men. I will also follow, if I am worthy.” And Jesus nodded to Nathaniel, again saying, “Follow me.”

138:3.1 The next day Jesus and the six went to call upon Matthew, the customs collector. Matthew was awaiting them, having balanced his books and made ready to turn the affairs of his office over to his brother. As they approached the toll house, Andrew stepped forward with Jesus, who, looking into Matthew's face, said, “Follow me.” And he arose and went to his house with Jesus and the apostles.

138:3.3 After a noontide luncheon at Matthew's house they all went with Peter to call upon Simon the Zealot, whom they found at his old place of business, which was now being conducted by his nephew. When Peter led Jesus up to Simon, the Master greeted the fiery patriot and only said, “Follow me.”

138:4.1 On the morrow all nine of them went by boat over to Kheresa to execute the formal calling of the next two apostles, James and Judas, the twin sons of Alpheus, the nominees of James and John Zebedee The fisherman twins were expecting Jesus and his apostles and were therefore awaiting them on the shore. James Zebedee presented the Master to the Kheresa fishermen, and Jesus, gazing on them, nodded and said, “Follow me.”

138:5.1
Thomas the fisherman and Judas the wanderer met Jesus and the apostles at the fisher-boat landing at Tarichea, and Thomas led the party to his near-by home. Philip now presented Thomas as his nominee for apostleship and Nathaniel presented Judas Iscariot the Judean, for similar honors. Jesus looked upon Thomas and said: “Thomas, you lack faith; nevertheless, I receive you. Follow me.” To Judas Iscariot the Master said: “Judas, we are all of one flesh, and as I receive you into our midst, I pray that you will always be loyal to your Galilean brethren. Follow me.”

139:5.1 Philip was the fifth apostle to be chosen, being called when Jesus and his first four apostles were on their way from John's rendezvous on the Jordan to Cana of Galilee. Since he lived at Bethsaida, Philip had for some time known of Jesus, but it had not occurred to him that Jesus was a really great man until that day in the Jordan valley when he said, “Follow me.” Philip was also somewhat influenced by the fact that Andrew, Peter, James, and John had accepted Jesus as the Deliverer.

139:7.6 The great and useful life of Matthew, the business man and customs collector of Capernaum, has been the means of leading thousands upon thousands of other business men, public officials, and politicians, down through the subsequent ages, also to hear that engaging voice of the Master saying, “Follow me.” Matthew really was a shrewd politician, but he was intensely loyal to Jesus and supremely devoted to the task of seeing that the messengers of the coming kingdom were adequately financed.

140:6.11 When Jesus heard this, he said: "Be willing, then, to take up your responsibilities and follow me. Do your good deeds in secret; when you give alms, let not the left hand know what the right hand does. And when you pray, go apart by yourselves and use not vain repetitions and meaningless phrases. Always remember that the Father knows what you need even before you ask him. And be not given to fasting with a sad countenance to be seen by men. As my chosen apostles, now set apart for the service of the kingdom, lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth, but by your unselfish service lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, for where your treasures are, there will your hearts be also.

157:6.8 “From this time on, if any man would have fellowship with us, let him assume the obligations of sonship and follow me. And when I am no more with you, think not that the world will treat you better than it did your Master. If you love me, prepare to prove this affection by your willingness to make the supreme sacrifice.”

158:7.5 After they had recovered from the first shock of Jesus' stinging rebuke, and before they resumed their journey, the Master spoke further: “If any man would come after me, let him disregard himself, take up his responsibilities daily, and follow me. For whosoever would save his life selfishly, shall lose it, but whosoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's, shall save it. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul? What would a man give in exchange for eternal life? Be not ashamed of me and my words in this sinful and hypocritical generation, even as I will not be ashamed to acknowledge you when in glory I appear before my Father in the presence of all the celestial hosts. Nevertheless, many of you now standing before me shall not taste death till you see this kingdom of God come with power.”

158:7.6 And thus did Jesus make plain to the twelve the painful and conflicting path which they must tread if they would follow him. What a shock these words were to these Galilean fishermen who persisted in dreaming of an earthly kingdom with positions of honor for themselves! But their loyal hearts were stirred by this courageous appeal, and not one of them was minded to forsake him. Jesus was not sending them alone into the conflict; he was leading them. He asked only that they bravely follow.

159:3.13 Teach all believers that those who enter the kingdom are not thereby rendered immune to the accidents of time or to the ordinary catastrophes of nature. Believing the gospel will not prevent getting into trouble, but it will insure that you shall be unafraid when trouble does overtake you. If you dare to believe in me and wholeheartedly proceed to follow after me, you shall most certainly by so doing enter upon the sure pathway to trouble. I do not promise to deliver you from the waters of adversity, but I do promise to go with you through all of them.

162:5.2 “I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life. Presuming to place me on trial and assuming to sit as my judges, you declare that, if I bear witness of myself, my witness cannot be true. But never can the creature sit in judgment on the Creator. Even if I do bear witness about myself, my witness is everlastingly true, for I know whence I came, who I am, and whither I go. You who would kill the Son of Man know not whence I came, who I am, or whither I go. You judge only by the appearances of the flesh; you do not perceive the realities of the spirit. I judge no man, not even my archenemy. But if I should choose to judge, my judgment would be true and righteous, for I would judge not alone but in association with my Father who sent me into the world, and who is the source of all true judgment. You even allow that the witness of two reliable persons may be accepted—well, then, I bear witness of these truths; so also does my Father in heaven. And when I told you this yesterday, in your darkness you asked me, `Where is your Father?' Truly, you know neither me nor my Father, for if you had known me, you would also have known the Father.

177:1.2 While making this speech, the temerity of which astonished some of the near-by listeners, John had made bold to hold on to the basket. There they stood, both John and Jesus holding the basket. Presently the Master let go and, looking down on the lad, said: "Since with all your heart you crave to go with me, it shall not be denied you. We will go off by ourselves and have a good visit. You may ask me any question that arises in your heart, and we will comfort and console each other. You may start out carrying the lunch, and when you grow weary, I will help you. Follow on with me."

180:3.5 “If I thus go before you into the Father's heavenly kingdom, so will I surely send for you that you may be with me in the places that were prepared for the mortal sons of God before this world was. Even though I must leave you, I will be present with you in spirit, and eventually you shall be with me in person when you have ascended to me in my universe even as I am about to ascend to my Father in his greater universe. And what I have told you is true and everlasting, even though you may not fully comprehend it. I go to the Father, and though you cannot now follow me, you shall certainly follow me in the ages to come.”

181:1.3 “If you would follow after me when I leave you, put forth your earnest efforts to live in accordance with the spirit of my teachings and with the ideal of my life—the doing of my Father's will. This do instead of trying to imitate my natural life in the flesh as I have, perforce, been required to live it on this world.

181:2.29 As Peter stood there before his Master, all atremble with intense emotion and overflowing with genuine love for him, Jesus looked straight into his moistened eyes as he said: “Peter, verily, verily, I say to you, this night the woowoo will not crow until you have denied me three or four times. And thus what you have failed to learn from peaceful association with me, you will learn through much trouble and many sorrows. And after you have really learned this needful lesson, you should strengthen your brethren and go on living a life dedicated to preaching this gospel, though you may fall into prison and, perhaps, follow me in paying the supreme price of loving service in the building of the Father's kingdom.

192:2.4 When they had gone a few steps farther, Jesus turned to Peter and, for the third time, asked, “Peter, do you truly love me?” And then Peter, being slightly grieved at the Master's seeming distrust of him, said with considerable feeling, “Lord, you know all things, and therefore do you know that I really and truly love you.” Then said Jesus: “Feed my sheep. Do not forsake the flock. Be an example and an inspiration to all your fellow shepherds. Love the flock as I have loved you and devote yourself to their welfare even as I have devoted my life to your welfare. And follow after me even to the end.”

192:2.5 Peter took this last statement literally—that he should continue to follow after him—and turning to Jesus, he pointed to John, asking, “If I follow on after you, what shall this man do?” And then, perceiving that Peter had misunderstood his words, Jesus said: “Peter, be not concerned about what your brethren shall do. If I will that John should tarry after you are gone, even until I come back, what is that to you? Only make sure that you follow me.”

196:1.3 To “follow Jesus” means to personally share his religious faith and to enter into the spirit of the Master's life of unselfish service for man. One of the most important things in human living is to find out what Jesus believed, to discover his ideals, and to strive for the achievement of his exalted life purpose. Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it.

PostPosted:  

Thank you Louis and Jim.

I would like to add that the main thing the Urantia Book says is simple. It's an invitation. Jesus exemplified this when he said "Follow me". That means we should live our lives how he did, in obedience to the Father's will, and in so doing present ourselves as an example of how to live in the heavenly kingdom now, which will attract others to do the same. Jesus, the Sovereign Ruler of our universe, commands respect. But I've always thought that the following is very significant. It speaks to how we should make all this happen in confidence that friendship is the part that means the most, especially friendship with God.

(157:4.3) They were all seated in the garden at just about noon when the Master appeared. They wore expressions of dignified solemnity, and all arose to their feet as he approached them. Jesus relieved the tension by that friendly and fraternal smile which was so characteristic of him when his followers took themselves, or some happening related to themselves, too seriously. With a commanding gesture he indicated that they should be seated. Never again did the twelve greet their Master by arising when he came into their presence. They saw that he did not approve of such an outward show of respect.

If then, we follow Jesus, we should work with him to establish the heavenly kingdom.

(165:5.3) "Consider the lilies, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin; yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is cut down and cast into the fire, how much more shall he clothe you, the ambassadors of the heavenly kingdom. O you of little faith! When you wholeheartedly devote yourselves to the proclamation of the gospel of the kingdom, you should not be of doubtful minds concerning the support of yourselves or the families you have forsaken. If you give your lives truly to the gospel, you shall live by the gospel. If you are only believing disciples, you must earn your own bread and contribute to the sustenance of all who teach and preach and heal. If you are anxious about your bread and water, wherein are you different from the nations of the world who so diligently seek such necessities? Devote yourselves to your work, believing that both the Father and I know that you have need of all these things. Let me assure you, once and for all, that, if you dedicate your lives to the work of the kingdom, all your real needs shall be supplied. Seek the greater thing, and the lesser will be found therein; ask for the heavenly, and the earthly shall be included. The shadow is certain to follow the substance.

PostPosted:  

The main thing the Urantia Book says is..."Here is a view from the outside looking in. The teachings of Chris can and will defeat Satan's influence. Humility and faith in the love of God is the path to salvation."

"The unleashed power of the atom has changed everything save our modes of thinking and we thus drift toward unparalleled catastrophe." Einstein, May 24 1946

It's unfortunate that the Urantia Book wasn't published 100 years ago when it would have had a greater ability to influence world politics and avoid our present threat of nuclear war. Now that an anti-Christ insanity has taken over world politics it is hard to have faith or even hope that humanity will not suffer the horror of a nuclear exchange before we wake up and see ourselves with humility.

"I suppose you could never prove to the mind of the most ingenious mollusk that such a creature as a whale could exist." Thoreau

We are but clams in the sand threatening to poison the beach if we don't get our arrogant and selfish way.

regards, gray

PostPosted:  

With the following quote Graybear13 plants both the problem and the solution to the issue addressed in and by the Fifth Epochal Revelation.
Quote:
it is hard to have faith

To which I would comment. "It is, yes, but it is so very worth the effort." We can do this! We must do this! Gray's lament about the state of the world notwithstanding, we are the solution if we but exercise the will to actually live by our faith. The opportunity is for our generation. If we fail, we simply pass the baton to the next generation. I will not allow myself the privilage to think of that as an option. I, for one, am comitted to lifting the bar of hope and truth and commitment to experiencing true spiritual faith. With our finest efforts and total trust in our Father's guidance the apparent woes we face dissappear and the spiritually illuminated path through becomes the ours. We will not overcome by merely contesting our opposition but by showing the world that we aren't distracted in our focus by it. Look for the light and live by it.

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Look for the light and live by it.

And for those that need a Urantia Book quote, even though Jim has said it in but seven words...

196:1.3 To “follow Jesus” means to personally share his religious faith and to enter into the spirit of the Master's life of unselfish service for man. One of the most important things in human living is to find out what Jesus believed, to discover his ideals, and to strive for the achievement of his exalted life purpose. Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it.

PostPosted:  

toto wrote:
Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it.

And thanks to the Urantia Book we know all we need to know about this.

That's the main thing, simply live how he lived his life, heed the invitation, follow him and change the world.

PostPosted:  

"The main thing is to keep the main thing, the main thing."

PostPosted:  

I guess really the main thing TUB says is..."I am just a book. I can make you aware of the light of a humble selfless life but I cannot give you the strength and bravery it will take to turn away from the shadows of self. Only you can turn around and experience the light, no one can do it for you and you can't read it in a book."

Having faith in the light is not the same as experiencing the light.

There is a reason why vanity is Satan's favorite sin; practitioners of it use it to feed their self/ego and it feels good to them, they like it, no guilt. What does it mean to turn away from self and actually experience the light? Is that what Christians call being "born again? Is that the front line in the war against Satan? Take away the importance of self and the war is won.

regards, gray

PostPosted:  

101:8.1 Belief has attained the level of faith when it motivates life and shapes the mode of living. The acceptance of a teaching as true is not faith; that is mere belief. Neither is certainty nor conviction faith. A state of mind attains to faith levels only when it actually dominates the mode of living. Faith is a living attribute of genuine personal religious experience. One believes truth, admires beauty, and reverences goodness, but does not worship them; such an attitude of saving faith is centered on God alone, who is all of these personified and infinitely more.

Seems to me that the main thing the Urantia Book says is that we should move on from it. Get out of the classroom and go live your life centered on God. TUB renders itself eventually obsolete.

101:5.13 Evolutionary religion provides only the assurance of faith and the confirmation of conscience; revelatory religion provides the assurance of faith plus the truth of a living experience in the realities of revelation. The third step in religion, or the third phase of the experience of religion, has to do with the morontia state, the firmer grasp of mota. Increasingly in the morontia progression the truths of revealed religion are expanded; more and more you will know the truth of supreme values, divine goodnesses, universal relationships, eternal realities, and ultimate destinies.

PostPosted:  

toto wrote:
Seems to me that the main thing the Urantia Book says is that we should move on from it. Get out of the classroom and go live your life centered on God. TUB renders itself eventually obsolete.

Yes, like a man who sees because of his eyes, and then sees much more when he goes blind.

(140:1.4) "But for you, my children, and for all others who would follow you into this kingdom, there is set a severe test. Faith alone will pass you through its portals, but you must bring forth the fruits of my Father's spirit if you would continue to ascend in the progressive life of the divine fellowship. Verily, verily, I say to you, not every one who says, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven; but rather he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

PostPosted:  

I agree with most of you that in order to ascertain personal revelation, from knowing and being like Joshua ben Josef, that many other religions are on par with Urantia Book readers. Namely Pentecostal Christians who evangelise the teaching that "the Risen Master is alive", that Jesus is knowable personally.

However, I do not believe this is the main teaching or purpose of the Urantia Book, which exists as far as epochal revelation and not individualised revelation via coordination of God's desire & human desire. The Epochal Revelation concerning corrections to the creation story (Genesis), and namely the identity of the violet race, has more overall importance. The Book clearly explains how the violet race should have amalgamated with the evolutionary races including Nodites. You may say that it is out of the simple science that Jesus played within the home, as a father & counselor, arranging marriages and promoting human equality, is one method by which humanity shall continue to evolve & prosper (and that is true). But for historical analysis, reasonable facts, and the understanding of diversity within the human diaspora, I would say that we should trust the Urantia Papers (and that no other human record has preserved such a saga).