I was immediately drawn to this article, just from its title - What Is The One Thing That Makes You Who You Are? by Antonia Blumberg, As Urantia Book readers, we learn the true answer to this question through its teachings. See our blog below...but first, here's the idea that inspired the article (and me), explored through interviews with a wide cross section of people:
"Zack Braunstein was reading the Bhagavad Gita, an ancient Hindu scripture, several months back when he stumbled upon a compelling term: Shraddha, a Sanskrit word that translates loosely as "faith" or "devotion" but can more broadly reflect the driving force within a person's being. The word seemed to capture something Braunstein had searched for in his own life -- and he imagined it might resonate with others, as well."
They embarked on a cross-country journey in September to ask people:
“What is the thing at the center of your being that if you woke up without you would be a totally different person living a different life?”
I do recomment the article...
Click to read the entire article referenced above
The "Driving Force"
So, what really IS that "driving force within a person's being...?" The "inner spark?" The answer is so basic and so simple it eludes most of us because we take that force completely for granted most of the time. That driving force is PERSONALITY and understanding personality provides the best answer to the question posed in the article; personality truly is the "one thing that makes you who you are." The Urantia Book describes personality as "permanence in the presence of change." Faith, or the concept of "Shraddha," as discussed in the article above, only goes so far; a person's God-given PERSONALITY is the force behind it.
The gift of personality is bestowed upon mankind by the Original Personality - the Universal Father of all.
The Urantia Book teaches:
112:1.1 Personality is bestowed by the Universal Father upon his creatures as a potentially eternal endowment. Such a divine gift is designed to function on numerous levels and in successive universe situations ranging from the lowly finite to the highest absonite, even to the borders of the absolute.
Further, we learn some of the characteristics of personality:
112:0.2 While it would be presumptuous to attempt the definition of personality, it may prove helpful to recount some of the things which are known about personality:
1. Personality is that quality in reality which is bestowed by the Universal Father himself or by the Conjoint Actor, acting for the Father.
2. It may be bestowed upon any living energy system which includes mind or spirit.
3. It is not wholly subject to the fetters of antecedent causation. It is relatively creative or cocreative.
4. When bestowed upon evolutionary material creatures, it causes spirit to strive for the mastery of energy-matter through the mediation of mind.
5. Personality, while devoid of identity, can unify the identity of any living energy system.
6. It discloses only qualitative response to the personality circuit in contradistinction to the three energies which show both qualitative and quantitative response to gravity.
7. Personality is changeless in the presence of change.
8. It can make a gift to God—dedication of the free will to the doing of the will of God.
9. It is characterized by morality—awareness of relativity of relationship with other persons. It discerns conduct levels and choosingly discriminates between them.
10. Personality is unique, absolutely unique: It is unique in time and space; it is unique in eternity and on Paradise; it is unique when bestowed—there are no duplicates; it is unique during every moment of existence; it is unique in relation to God—he is no respecter of persons, but neither does he add them together, for they are nonaddable—they are associable but nontotalable.
11. Personality responds directly to other-personality presence.
12. It is one thing which can be added to spirit, thus illustrating the primacy of the Father in relation to the Son. (Mind does not have to be added to spirit.)
13. Personality may survive mortal death with identity in the surviving soul. The Adjuster and the personality are changeless; the relationship between them (in the soul) is nothing but change, continuing evolution; and if this change (growth) ceased, the soul would cease.
14. Personality is uniquely conscious of time, and this is something other than the time perception of mind or spirit.
Please see Paper 112: Personality Survival for an in-depth explanation of personality and its survival potentials in time and eternity
A Unique Bestowal of Love
Throughout the history of mankind, throughout the whole of the past and into the whole of the future, your personality is completely unique; no one ever before, nor ever after, will possess another personality like yours.
Again, from The Urantia Book:
12:7.9 The love of the Father absolutely individualizes each personality as a unique child of the Universal Father, a child without duplicate in infinity, a will creature irreplaceable in all eternity. The Father's love glorifies each child of God, illuminating each member of the celestial family, sharply silhouetting the unique nature of each personal being against the impersonal levels that lie outside the fraternal circuit of the Father of all. The love of God strikingly portrays the transcendent value of each will creature, unmistakably reveals the high value which the Universal Father has placed upon each and every one of his children from the highest creator personality of Paradise status to the lowest personality of will dignity among the savage tribes of men in the dawn of the human species on some evolutionary world of time and space.
12:7.10 This very love of God for the individual brings into being the divine family of all individuals, the universal brotherhood of the freewill children of the Paradise Father. And this brotherhood, being universal, is a relationship of the whole. Brotherhood, when universal, discloses not the each relationship, but the all relationship. Brotherhood is a reality of the total and therefore discloses qualities of the whole in contradistinction to qualities of the part.
Please see The Part and the Whole, which discusses personality in conjunction with the idea of brotherhood - the "fact of relationship between every personality in universal existence."
Read More About Personality
So, while many attempt to identify that elusive "thing" that individualizes us, that animates us, that informs the very fabric of our lives and existence - The teachings of The Urantia Book satisfy our search for this basic truth and reveal a wealth of information about it.
We've collected many of the teachings about personality throughout the pages of The Urantia Book and arranged them into a topical study, which you can access HERE.
And, if you are new to The Urantia Book, you have stumbled upon the greatest gift of revelation that this world has had for centuries; not only is it a treasure-trove of information about ourselves, such as its teachings about personality, it is also an immense repository of new, revealed information about God, the creation, the cosmos, angels and other celestial personalities - and finally, it contains a thrilling and inspiring restatement of the life and teachings of Jesus.
Welcome to TruthBook.com, where you'll find the entire text free, online, for your enjoyment and enlightenment!